Diesel Smart for the US market - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Diesel Smart for the US market

Is a diesel powered Smart Car being planned for the US market? Please advise...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 03:38 PM
Admin emeritus

There is no mention of the Diesel Smart making it to the US market in the first year (ie 2008) but with the great success of not only the diesel market right now but also the diesel smart in Canada, look for the diesel model smart fortwo to make it to the US in 09 or 10 when the smart market needs another boost of sales and energy to its lifespan.

NO word yet on any imported cdi models either but this is something I am looking in to right now!
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 07:44 PM

Any word on the 89mpg hybrid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 07:58 PM

Hello Anyone,
I'm on my 3rd diesel. I will be seriously dissapointed if Smart fails to market an existing product here. If and when they do I'll be in line.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 12:24 PM

Smart Diesel

I keep a Smart diesel, passion convertible, at my home in Canada. I am US with a vacation home in Canada and intend to buy a US Smart. I feel Mercedes is really missing the boat by not offering the diesel. I routinely get 70mpg and the engine is peppy enough when I paddle shift. This type of auto should be offered with Mercedes Blu-Tec diesel technology with zero emissions with better performance/mileage/durability than a comparable gasoline engine.

I cannot import my Smart because it cannot be EPA/DOT modified by G&K. I spoke to them and they would be glad to make the investment in the equipment to certify diesels but Mercedes has not made the 2008 Smart available with a diesel engine. Stupid move!

I hope they realize the value of having the Smart/Diesel as the car of choice.

Michael

My regular cars are an 2005 E320 CDI, and a 1982 300CD.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 02:15 PM

I just don't understand the hesitance here? The new diesels are just better...

I for one am waiting for this great little car, when it's packen a DIESEL...

I'm driving an old 1990 Ford Festiva, Fuel injection 5 speed that gets 43-48 MPG...So I probably will wait for the fuel efficient Diesel...;)

Why can't I import a smart diesel from Canada, Hamptonsman why can't it be EPA/DOT modified? I would love to get the early body style with diesel!
Although the new body style isn't my personal favorite, it wouldn't stop me from purchasing an 08' smartcar diesel...The new diesel is IMPRESSIVE!

Shane...

Last edited by Shane; 07-24-2007 at 02:33 PM.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 08:26 AM
SCOA Club

EURO diesels

I just got back from vacation in Switzerland where I rented a Lancia Yipsilon diesel. It was very comfortable (and seats 4 adults) and got over 60 mpg with peppy acceleration. The new euro diesels are truly impressive and will sell like hotcakes if they are brought over to the USA IMO.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 09:24 AM

Diesel Smart Canadian now living in Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamptonsman View Post
I keep a Smart diesel, passion convertible, at my home in Canada. I am US with a vacation home in Canada and intend to buy a US Smart. I feel Mercedes is really missing the boat by not offering the diesel. I routinely get 70mpg and the engine is peppy enough when I paddle shift. This type of auto should be offered with Mercedes Blu-Tec diesel technology with zero emissions with better performance/mileage/durability than a comparable gasoline engine.

I cannot import my Smart because it cannot be EPA/DOT modified by G&K. I spoke to them and they would be glad to make the investment in the equipment to certify diesels but Mercedes has not made the 2008 Smart available with a diesel engine. Stupid move!

I hope they realize the value of having the Smart/Diesel as the car of choice.

Michael

My regular cars are an 2005 E320 CDI, and a 1982 300CD.
Hi guys: I am new to this ListServe and a bit desperate because we have moved to the US, with our diesel Smart (same car as yours Mr Hamptonsman - and we love it of course**- and 1) I am discovering as Hamptonsman did that our only choice is to leave it in Canada (? how totally odd) so not sure how long i can continue to drive it here on Ontario plates and 2) I NEED an oil change and for the life of me I cannot find anywhere the techs for the oil filter (I have found a longsuffering Mazda service dealer who is willing to change the oil if he can find a source for the filter ...but he couldn't find the specs in the manual either)

Sorry to be so dumb about this; can anyone help a Canadian damsel in vehicular distress....?

Thanks
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 09:37 AM

I'm looking forward to a diesel smart also ,I have a 2006 E320CDI ,and absolutly love it
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,811 Times in 3,523 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowemw View Post
Hi guys: I am new to this ListServe and a bit desperate because we have moved to the US, with our diesel Smart (same car as yours Mr Hamptonsman - and we love it of course**- and 1) I am discovering as Hamptonsman did that our only choice is to leave it in Canada (? how totally odd) so not sure how long i can continue to drive it here on Ontario plates and 2) I NEED an oil change and for the life of me I cannot find anywhere the techs for the oil filter (I have found a longsuffering Mazda service dealer who is willing to change the oil if he can find a source for the filter ...but he couldn't find the specs in the manual either)

Sorry to be so dumb about this; can anyone help a Canadian damsel in vehicular distress....?

Thanks
Here's a link to a K&N filter which may work for you:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...px?Prod=E-9257

Recommend you post your question separately in the 450 section as well, and also on the Canadian site, www.clubsmartcar.ca

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode