Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,816 Times in 3,528 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
First annual forum cruise in?

This could be way too early, but thinking back to 1999 and the early days of corvetteforum.com, they held the first forum cruise in just after the forum had been running for a year. Small group of people and a great way to put faces with friends on the forum. Of course, the last cruise in had hundreds of people there and it's hard to get to know anybody.

So, any interest in a smartcar of America forum cruise in this time next year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 06:39 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This could be a fun idea. I imagine most are going to want to see how comfortable it would be driving long distances in their Smart.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 08:51 AM

It might have to be regional. Wherever you live in this country, it's a long way to Tipperary! I could envision a West Coast cruise (I'd love to do that,but too far away!), an East Coast cruise (ditto!), A Great Lakes cruise, etc. What fun! Count me in!

Last edited by sisyphus; 11-13-2007 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Durn burn Comcast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,816 Times in 3,528 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Regional

Good approach; not sure how many cars will be here in 12 months anyway. East, Central, Mountain, West - four separate get togethers. Until I know more a thousand mile trip in a smart is not in my future; Detroit, maybe. A bit early yet but let's keep it in mind. It would be fun to show up at PAG headquarters with a gaggle of the new cars from here and Canada.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in for the Michigan Cruise

Count me in for the Michigan Cruise. Maybe Roger Penske should hold it at the USA headquarters and give us all a nice medallion or a special event pin for attending. AFterall, our purchases will no doubt have made him an even more of a Miracle Worker than he's already known to be. Besides the publicity alone would be great advertisement for year two...
Maybe he would even want to do it in the summer, maybe even around the Woodward Dream Cruise time. What a wonderful sight..hundreds of smart cars all cruising down the road with TV cameras running..
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 09:45 AM
aka '24-42'

I don't know how I missed this thread.
For the people who are apprehensive of a long drive in a Smart: YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE !

I drove from Columbia MO to Los Angeles (Approx. 2200 mi) in 2 1/2 days. It was great, I was comfortable ALL the way.
One day later, I jumped in that little car, drove up to Oregon (1000mi), and returned the following day.

I am now planning a round trip to Elkhart, IN. I will be towing a trailer on the return trip.

One caveat.... If you are an 'Introvert', and wish to remain that way, DON'T buy a Smart car. If you do buy, you WILL be talking to strangers.

The qualities of this car on the highway is the world's best kept secret.

I wish for everyone to enjoy their Smart even half as much as I have mine.

Donald LaFavor
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Senior Smartie
SCOA Club

OH! What fabulous input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-42 View Post
I don't know how I missed this thread.
For the people who are apprehensive of a long drive in a Smart: YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE !

I drove from Columbia MO to Los Angeles (Approx. 2200 mi) in 2 1/2 days. It was great, I was comfortable ALL the way.
One day later, I jumped in that little car, drove up to Oregon (1000mi), and returned the following day.

I am now planning a round trip to Elkhart, IN. I will be towing a trailer on the return trip.

One caveat.... If you are an 'Introvert', and wish to remain that way, DON'T buy a Smart car. If you do buy, you WILL be talking to strangers.

The qualities of this car on the highway is the world's best kept secret.

I wish for everyone to enjoy their Smart even half as much as I have mine.

Donald LaFavor
Thanks for that, Don, and I do look forward to enjoying my Smart as do most on this forum. So many I've talked with who really know nothing about the car insist that it can/should only be used inner city due to its size. I posted here about my *embedded* trip with 15 Smarts to Cooperstown. (Myself and the wife were in our S-2000) They drove from Montreal to Cooperstown and back in one day!!! And they all said the same thing as you did....it's a better ride than you think it would be.
I look forward to practicing my extroversion with strangers!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 10:25 AM
aka '24-42'

About the Cruise In...... I sure got off the subject, didn't I.

I think it would be a memory to hang onto.

I still remember back in the early Fifties, Participating in a parade at the Romeo (Michigan) Peach Festival in my MG-TY Tourer. I was a member of the Michigan Sports Car Club.

After the parade, we (the club) were invited to lunch at the home of the CEO of American Motors (There was more than enough room for parking between his home and garage. The garage(5 car w/a lift and a pit) had a new 'Nash Healy" and a "Mighty Mite" (Talk about small) in it. To sit around eating chicken dinner in that garage with the unique garage aroma surrounded by tools, cars and 'Like-thinking' companions was like being in heaven

I heartily second the suggestion (Cruise-In, remember?) You will remember it fondly for the rest of your life as I have for over fifty years now of some of the events I attended.

If we have an event, and I am asked to, I will tell of some of the highlights of my association with the automobile and it's history. To me, as I look back, I was fortunate to have met; Preston Tucker, Felix Wankel, Henry Ford, Dr Porsche Jr (His father was the great great grandfather of your new Smart), Shochiro Honda, Shoji Hattori and others.

I went off on a tengent again, didn't I ?

More another time

Donald LaFavor
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 10:43 AM
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-42 View Post
.... If you are an 'Introvert', and wish to remain that way, DON'T buy a Smart car. If you do buy, you WILL be talking to strangers.r
Ah, to have had this car when I was young, single, and painfully shy. ;)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode