LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,331 Times in 1,631 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Added another Gambler 500 notch to my belt!

Gambler 500 round 2! I keep saying that I'll stop beating Tucker offroad...but it never works out like that. The original plan was to offroad a Honda Elite 150D.

It (the scooter) survived 160 miles rock, sand, mud, water crossings, jumps, gravel, and wide open throttle... That’s how long Imperator Slowiosa III survived. I also experienced my first real motorcycle crash, too.

I was riding on a forest trail/road somehow consisting of extremely loose sand (or something like it?). It was like riding on ice. However, so long as I kept a slow pace it was okay. Unfortunately, my team didn’t notice my slowing down and they basically kept full speed ahead.

To catch up (and to ease my nerves) I decided to ride on the sides of the trail, which consisted of dirt and grass that I could get much more speed with. Well, at some point those grassy sides narrowed to just a couple feet wide with the sand to one side and trees to the other. At some point, the grass was no longer level with the sandy center. This wasn’t a problem until I encountered a rocky, rutty portion of the trail where the grass I was riding on had a 10ft drop down into the ruts below. I target fixated and at roughly 15-20mph I rode off the grass and ten feet down into the rocks.

Like with crashing the Ruckus last year I tried to jump away from the scooter as it happened. My hands (wearing cheap $10 gloves) and my left knee took the entirety of the fall. Hands were fine (gloves only got light scratching) but my knee was bleeding. Well, a dress and yoga pants definitely aren’t good riding gear!

The front wheel broke most of the scooter’s fall, with the dashboard taking the rest of the force, breaking the windshield and taking out both mirrors.

The little smartie carried on the torch and rocked offroad per the usual. It took on mud, changes in terrain so sharp I was on two wheels, and climbs greater than the car should realistically be climbing. It further broke my ABS (it now fails at 40mph instead of 50), but otherwise the car came out on top! I even participated in tug of war matches against various challengers. I absolutely decimated a rally prepped Ford Festiva, almost pulled away a Chevy Malibu, and knocked down ten men like they were bowling pins.

The car also remains an extremely proficient tow vehicle. In the 400 mile tow down I stuck at a sustained 70-80 mph. The car returned roughly 30 mpg and temps stayed in the norms.

The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Mercedes For This Useful Post:
jwight (05-30-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:32 AM
King of Smart Gadgetry
SCOA Club

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Garage
Just be careful if you try to raise the suspension more than 2 inches with the Daystar kit. Any more will articulate your axles too much and they will break or pull loose. I did Daystar and I am on my 2nd axle seal. My axles seem to be bent about as far as they dare go and I know they are going to wear out soon. 53,000 miles 451 passion. DCO
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:38 AM
King of Smart Gadgetry
SCOA Club

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Garage
Just one more thing to note Miss Mercedes. The bolts that came with my kit were the wrong pitch. I stripped one trying it. I had to replace the bolts. It seems the size provided was 125 and I needed 150. Could be vise versa I'm not remembering well. But be cautious if they are hard to thread in. They should thread in easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,331 Times in 1,631 Posts
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the advice! Based on the experiences of others I'm just going to do the Tesla ED suspension. I already have the parts and my car's suspension is worn out anyway.

I really wanted to get a really broken 451 for this that I can go all Mad Max with, but even non-runners cost $2k in my area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode