Smart Car Forums

Smart Car Forums (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/)
-   smart General Discussion (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/)
-   -   Give back my smart? (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/give-back-my-smart-7433/)

ritchaso 05-31-2008 01:29 PM

Give back my smart?

I got a call from the excellent people in Atlanta smart Center. I told them they could not have my smart back for twice what I paid for it. Not for all the tea in China! This is the most fantastic car I have ever had. I told my wife I have been waiting for this car my whole life. I am 70 and LOVE this car. I am afraid that my gasoline bill will go up since I want to drive it all the time.

Every time I stop somewhere, people ask me about the car.

I have found that other drivers extend courtesy to me that I am not used to. When I am pulling out into a busy road, people actually slow or stop to help me get out into the road.

I saw a review in edmunds.com that stated the smart has more SPM than any other car they have ever tested. (That's smiles per mile). I have found that to be true. It is so enjoyable to see so many people smiling at the car I am driving.

A drawback to this is that it's hard to change lanes sometimes, because other drivers just want to drive along beside you and see your smart. And then, there's all the fingerprints on your smart when you come back after parking it.

Wanna see what a Rock Star is like? Drive a smart.

bottlerocket 05-31-2008 01:31 PM

YES so true about changing lanes, always surrounded by looky loo bees...:D I just zoom about nowadays, don't give anyone a chance to pin me down :smartje.rd.zw:

saskdiesel 05-31-2008 01:34 PM

I'd sell it in a heartbeat for 2X what I paid.

JPaul 05-31-2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ritchaso (Post 83217)
[...]
I have found that other drivers extend courtesy to me that I am not used to. When I am pulling out into a busy road, people actually slow or stop to help me get out into the road.
[...]

Same here: when merging in tight situation on a single lane (i.e. road work), it looks like the smart is so small, it doesn't really count and people will "let it go through"... ;)

SuperGeek 05-31-2008 01:47 PM

A guy at work asked me if I were offered $50k for mine would I sell... I actually had to think before replying that I'd have to think hard about it. If I could get an identical orphan, I could drive/fly anywhere in the country for the $34k profit, but it still wouldn't be my first one. Plus, my ethics would first make me suggest that same approach to the idiot offering me 3x retail on something. Selling for slight profit is one thing.... 2x or 3x is usually taking advantage of someone.

As to the celebrity, I came closest ever to having panic attacks my first two weeks with this car; I grew up as a pretty shy/insecure person and all the attention gets to me after a while. I've had photos taken of me, I've watched crowds surround my car in the parking lot, answered questions... but now I consider it practice for 2009... my wife's first novel should come out in Sep 09, and with any luck she'll be a celebrity overnight. Last night we went to the movies in my smart... the drive was more entertaining than the movie.

JPaul 05-31-2008 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperGeek (Post 83226)
[...] Last night we went to the movies in my smart... the drive was more entertaining than the movie.

Tact will prevent me from asking: what was the movie! :D

SuperGeek 05-31-2008 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPaul (Post 83232)
Tact will prevent me from asking: what was the movie! :D

Indiana Jones and the Quest for Geritol and Ben-Gay

They should have stopped at the third one. The misfiring humor in the movie reminded me of Star Wars episode 1... Jar Jar, need I say more?