Smart Car of America Forum banner

I haven't seen this mentioned before - heated seat problem.

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  NCC1701 
#1 ·
I think this is a first. Wanna know what y'all think about it.

Today upon starting the car at lunch time, I noticed the driver's side heated seat was powered up on low. It's always been Off on startup, regardless of what I had it on when I shut the car off.

After work, started the car and the same was true ... driver's side on low.
I played with it and found that instead of a three way toggle (Off, Low, High), I now have two ... Low, High, High.

Bad switch? Thoughts?

This is going to be undesirable soon with Summer heat on the way. I haven't checked yet to see if they're on their own fuse. Pulling the fuse would then be at least a temporary solution.

#3 ·
No codes. But, now that you mention it ... yes, we've had substantial rains. And, last night I forgot to close the passenger side window completely (doh). It was down perhaps 2 inches and the passenger side got some water. Not flooded, but dampened.

Hmmm.

Odd that the problem is on the driver's side if that's the cause though.

#5 · (Edited)
That would be a different thread. As for your question, nothing major. It rains, streets flood. We're used to it.

EDIT at 0430: Catching network news ... I see why the concern. Funny how media makes things seem so much worse than it is on the scene. I am 100 miles from Pensacola. But, even when the national coverage is on the local area, they do tend to make things seem worse than the average Joe would tag them to be.

#9 ·
The seat heater switch is just an input to the heated seat control module, which in turn supplies current to the seat heating elements. So the question is whether the fault lies with the switch or the module. You can unplug the switch group and see if anything changes, or you can unplug the heated seat control module. The heated seat control module looks like an oversized relay that is next to the steering column under the dash above the accelerator pedal. If no result, you can disconnect the plug for the heater under the driver's seat. It should be a two pin plug with RED/BLU and BRN wires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.