Smart Car of America Forum banner

Most worthless features! Smart Made it!!

4K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  UAV-1 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Funny that it made the list, and it's obvious the reviewer is someone with no experience with the car. It does that on a test drive if you're expecting an automatic transmission. Sorry, reviewer, it's not.

It's a manual. Without a clutch pedal. To rev match smoothly, just plan ahead for your gear changes like you would a manual if you didn't want to burn out the clutch in three weeks.

I've got 3,000 miles on mine and in manual mode I can shift smooth as butter. In auto mode, I know how much gas to apply to prevent the jerkiness they describe. It's simply a driver training issue... pass training and the car's actually pretty fun to drive.

#13 ·
I like the wipers, discovered them by accident in fact. One day I didn't realize I had them on "auto" and I passed a semi which threw water on my windshield. Before I could reach for the knob, the wipers came out, wiped once and stopped. I was sold on them after that :cool:

#9 ·
RE: auto sensing wipers. I generally like mine. But, sometimes when it first begins to rain they don't activate as quickly as I would choose. And, occasionally I'd prefer they pick up the speed a bit more for the conditions.

But, I should emphasize, those complaints are sporadic ... most of the time they seem to operate very well.

#10 ·
Here's a quote from the reviewer's full test of a "2008" smart:

Getting the power to the rear drive wheels is another story. A five-speed automated-manual is the sole transmission; from the driver's standpoint it operates like an automatic, but really it's swapping gears like a conventional manual, complete with an electronically operated clutch.

What that means is that you drive the ForTwo like you would a regular automatic, but the transmission lurches through gear changes with the awkwardness of a 15-year-old learning stick on his brother's Corolla. The transmission has a single clutch, so it has to disengage one gear, pause momentarily, and then engage the next. Prod the gas pedal while the process is happening and you'll experience pronounced hesitation. I found it especially apparent in the first-gear-to-second shift, which is right when I most needed a swift transition.

Fortunately, many journalists are smarter than one. After a couple hours swapping stories at each stop, we'd come upon a solution: Let off the gas slightly at each shift, like you would while driving a stick, and the gear changes are much smoother (though still not very fast). It's hard to tell when the shifts will occur with the transmission in Drive, so smooth acceleration requires using the gearshift's manual mode. There's a plus/minus gate on the shifter, while the Passion adds shift paddles on the steering wheel.
2008 smart fortwo Expert Reviews

The review was dated Nov 12, 2007, so I doubt he was driving a 2008; more likely one of the 2007 451s from PAG used for the road tour. Either way, a one day stint with the smart is hardly enough to get in synch with the transmission, as most of us found out with our own cars. So, another review that perpetuates the idea the smart transmission is somehow "scary." :rolleyes:

#11 ·
As it has been said, the Smart is not everbodys cup of tea, so with that one and ther hideous review written by Consumer reports, id say they were based on ones personal opinions. However, there are many who read all the posts who don't have their Smart yet, and who go to the meets, and will have enough exposure to the car gving them a clear picture of what to expect. That was the case with me before my taking adpotion of "Mr Blue", i had been in two different Smarts belonging to somebody else, had the pleasure of driving both of them and doing some test drives at two different dealers so i knew full and well that i really wanted the Smart, and more so what i was getting into. So far all the asking around and being a really paitent sole paid off. :D

#15 ·
However, there are many who read all the posts who don't have their Smart yet, and who go to the meets, and will have enough exposure to the car gving them a clear picture of what to expect. That was the case with me
I did not have the oppurtunity you had, just a 1/2 mile test drive on a perfect road below 30mph.

Overall, the driving experience is good and for me the only major drawback is the transmission. The ride is stiff, but someone (popular) in here is working on a solution for that too.

I wonder if someone is working on the tranny by either tuning the ECU or using different lubricants to attack this problem. Anybody?!?

If it wasn't my bread and butter, I would try working with Mercedes and a TUNER to resovle it.

#16 ·
I test drove a Smartie and I loved it. It felt like a manual but had the convenience of an automatic. Pickup speed comparably better than family SUV!
The GMC I drive now has the rain sensing wipers. Loved them. Just about everything on that SUV is automated. Sorry mom, but that Envoy has horrible MPG.
** it's onboard computer says it gets 17mpg, sad. **

#18 ·
Regarding transmission shifting... I have a lead foot and paddle shift like crazy. When I took delivery of my wife's Smart, the transmission did shift as the reviewer described. However, the car only had ~10 miles on it and after a couple hundred miles, the ECU smoothed out the shifting in anticipation of my driving style. Same thing occurred with the delivery of my Smart, though the ECU is still 'learning' on the 2nd vehicle, it seems to be learning faster. That aspect could just be my perception though; being more used to the car. I see this as a non-issue after a reasonable break-in period.
Cheers,
Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.