Smart Car of America Forum banner

New owner - oem color question

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  jimvw57 
#1 ·
Just purchased my first smart fortwo, picked up a 2008 Passion with 60K miles. Car is very cool but on the hood, there is some peeling of the clear coat so was looking at ways to fix it up. From doing some research on this forum, someone had said they wet sanded the areas with 1000 grit and then just sprayed some clear coat on it. Was also looking at just doing a vinyl wrap on the hood but so far I have no luck in trying to match the factory color to the vinyl wrap color. The factory color is called Blue Metallic and paint code is CA9L but when I look up the color from that paint code, it says it is called Exciting Blue. Does anyone have an idea of what the closest match to a vinyl wrap color is? Just very hard to do online due to all the different shades of colors. Any input or thoughts of a different way to fix are welcome as well.... Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
From doing some research on this forum, someone had said they wet sanded the areas with 1000 grit and then just sprayed some clear coat on it.
I went and found that post. ......That changes everything about how I am looking at the scratches in my rear bumper.
I have been covering them with Everything from paint to tape to plastic strips......Just sand them down and shoot them Clear... In fact I see next summer, after my Pacific Coast Highway trip to sand down the whole car and get a pro to clear coat it, as it will be babied after that trip. I would like to see a photo of your hood

#8 ·
Sadly the peeling clear coat is a common problem on these cars. The only way to do it correctly would be to sand it down and respray the clear coat. The Blue is a painted on color, most of the smarts are a molded in color so be careful not to go through the paint coat. The other option is to find a matching hood and replace it. Sometimes you can find replacement panels on Ebay or listed in the marketplace section here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.