now my car is perfect... too bad may be forced to fix it. - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
now my car is perfect... too bad may be forced to fix it.

My 2014 Smart Passion I suspect has a Brake Light Switch failure. My Traction Control light is on steady, My Brake Lights including Third brake Light are on steady.

And suddenly my car drives Perfect. It is everything I want the drive feel of the car to be. No bucking, no squirreling around, Just perfect.

Its the difference of walking a big dog that constantly pulls at the leash vs a Cesar Millan trained big dog that walks along side you in a "calm submissive state".

I never want that Big Dog jumping and pulling at the leash again.

When you drive a Video game the better you get at driving the less driver assist items you leave on. I love My Smart car feel with out the driver assist that the Traction Control light appears to have disabled.

But alas after three days of bliss, but for knowing my brake lights are on steady, I know I have to make this repair. So I now would like to know if any one has modified this switch so that the brake lights will work as they are designed to, but keep all the related driver assist disabled.

Does anyone who has attempted this Brake light switch replacement as a DYI repair believe I could/should take this repair on myself. I am familiar with location of the part and what it seems to entail. Just looking for some first hand experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 06:52 PM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
The lack of bucking actually has nothing to do with Traction Control being disabled.

Traction Control does not intervene if you're not losing traction. Unless you're peeling out at every light, Traction Control isn't your problem.

What you're most likely feeling is "creep mode" being disabled. It's a feature specific to our wonderful North American cars and the only way to turn it off (so far as we know) is to cause some sort of fault. Some people used to engage their handbrake up one click, however it seems that trick doesn't work well in the newer cars.

I think you'd be the first to try to disable the safety systems through the brake switch.

Also note that disabling the safety systems disables all active systems, including ABS, ESP, and Hill Start Assist. So take that with what you will.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 06:45 AM

Thanked 1,220 Times in 866 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
You need to pull that car in a smart dealership. Have them pull some codes. Is your car still under warranty. It’s 2014? You got some failed software issues there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

No codes or other issues with car. Pulled esp and brake light fuses all checked ok. Now ESP is out and car drives with all assist on again ( jerky lol ) but easy to just use the ESP disable method to have car drive with out assist ( nice and smooth ).

What has not changed is the Brake lights are still steady on. So that will be the only focus going forward.

Still just a jewel of a car.

Brake switch still primary suspect. But still no major issue with 2 months to go to Watkins Glenn event we might just be in great shape for the event.

I am currently messaging a 2008 BMW 328 xi, that i bought my Grand Daughter for highs school graduation, back to prime condition. So that has soaked up my mad money that would have been put in to my SMART. The Blessing is my poor man status has forced me to be more hands on with the SMART then I may have been with cash to throw at it. I have become very good at working on the SMART.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 07:25 PM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
If your actual brake lights are stuck on, you probably have a faulty brake light switch. Warranty should be able to fix that.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

I have been Financially consumed with the 2008 BMW 328xi for the Granddaughter refurbish While that is on solid ground, it is a 2008 BMW and caution for repair is always necessary. Also a Disney World Family trip made a bank account say ouch. I am back to this Smart Car Fix. Mind you I still do not want the fix, but its time lol, and my Smart Car co workers all report the ESP disable makes them happy drivers.

A local used brake light switch is 10 dollars so I intend to have a repair shop just put that in test and change oil and filter. I would like that to get me through the summer including the possible Watkins Glenn track event and the September NYS vehicle inspection due.

I intend to spend a bit of time if not money on the car this winter. I am very happy with the car visually and running wise I do want the Go Pedal, need to replace the front belly pan, some custom head lights and some type of small rear hatch spoiler. Tweeters in the factory dash spots and a factory under dash sub woofer. A small 7 band equalizer with orange lighting to match the gauges in the pull out ash tray space would be a nice touch.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

brake light switch repaired

New brake light switch and cover ordered off EBAY from a shipper in Florida for 56 dollars free shipping. Received with in 5 days. Local shop installed it for 30 bucks. Instantly restored car to full working order. All lights and driver assists functioning as designed. Car Drives as it was designed to,
and thats all great, should pass inspection next month with no issues.

The bad news is I sure prefer how it drove while it was "broken".

So as called out earlier as "Creep" assist is what is bothering me. When broken, when the car was still if you took your foot off the gas pedal the car would not engage the clutch and not move forward. You had to press the gas pedal for the car to engage and move forward. Now repaired the car engages and moves foward as soon as you you take you foot off the brake with no gas pedal input needed.

So it seems that with the brake light switch broken any time the gas pedal was not engaged the clutch disengaged to neutral which helped the car coast at highway speeds and act tame in stop and go traffic and at stop lights.

So now is to find the trigger and possible adjustment to Gas pedal input and clutch engagement.

Other than that I have a fresh Oil and Filter change. Will change air filter Thursday. A good wax on Friday then the 5 hour trip to Watkins Glen. Gauge up the tires Saturday morning and hit the track Saturday afternoon.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Well I read a lot of post, I am relearning how to drive my car and I have lubed everything with silicone. The car is the best its been since I have had it. I still could do with out "creep mode"
in bumper to bumper traffic but the last Lube of the Clutch Actuator seem to have made the clutch back off smoother certainly softer not as demanding. Its like the creep its self is a softer push. A video on where to lube the transmission gears and the Clutch actuator proved priceless. A post about Lubing the chassis points had me under the car spraying every pivot point with silicone. The harshness on the bumps are 90 percent less. I believe Iwould spray the chassis every oil change for sure, once a month might be my schedule as I feel that much difference. In auto, the car shifts gears with no bouncing or stutter, shifting gears on my own is butter smooth. A little reading, a little learning and lots of lube and the car is better then when I thought it was perfect.

Now I need another one ......
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 06:38 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,774 Times in 3,494 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Rumor is you can disable the creep function by pulling up the parking brake handle one notch....YMMV.
chieftmc and DreamCarOwner like this.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
re: creep issue in traffic, are your aware of the throttle body reset? https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/fo...y-reset-30296/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode