Smart Car Forums

Smart Car Forums (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/)
-   smart General Discussion (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/)
-   -   For owners with over 100K miles on their 451 smarts (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/owners-over-100k-miles-their-451-smarts-45575/)

jwight 07-17-2012 11:43 AM

For owners with over 100K miles on their 451 smarts

Looking at unicycle's latest update it appears there are about 15 cars with over 100K miles on them. For those that have 451 smarts in that category, how many of you have had:

engine failure due to leaking head gasket
engine failure due to coolant loss
engine failure due to valve problems
failed clutch actuator
failed fuel pump
failed transmission
failed front wheel bearings

Not an all inclusive list but these appear to be the items that currently invoke the "sky is falling" response from a few folks. Would like to hear from the owners of these high mileage 451s about their real world experiences. Thanks! :)

chieftmc 07-17-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwight (Post 523430)
Looking at unicycle's latest update it appears there are about 15 cars with over 100K miles on them. For those that have 451 smarts in that category, how many of you have had:

engine failure due to leaking head gasket
engine failure due to coolant loss
engine failure due to valve problems
failed clutch actuator
failed fuel pump
failed transmission
failed front wheel bearings

Not an all inclusive list but these appear to be the items that currently invoke the "sky is falling" response from a few folks. Would like to hear from the owners of these high mileage 451s about their real world experiences. Thanks! :)

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm100/chieftmc/1.gif

Kermit 07-17-2012 01:22 PM

+1.1

I've got 15 more thousand miles and I hit 100k.

At 100k I'm wondering if the wheel will fall off due to a faulty wheel bearing while drifting to a stop because the engine just gave way because the coolant leaked out but of course the fuel pump probably just went out at the same time but the car wasn't shifting because the clutch actuator had gone out too. :rolleyes:

a2jack 07-17-2012 01:35 PM

Except we only hear from the exceptional car owners that do manage to make a 100k without breaking the bank. The majority just go quitely away.

Also, most of the high mileage owners are accomplished DIY'ers and are not exposed to the outrageous costs of MB dealer service and repairs.

To even try to make a case that most owners will get 100k, major trouble free driving from a Smart is wishfull thinking.

This Kind of hype could only come from a Chief "Insider" and good old Kamaal himself.

Don't your arms get tired carrying all that water for MB? :D A2Jack

forestacademy 07-17-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a2jack (Post 523453)
Also, most of the high mileage owners are accomplished DIY'ers and are not exposed to the outrageous costs of MB dealer service and repairs.

A2Jack

Poor assumption on many levels

jwight 07-17-2012 02:49 PM

And of course, none of the respondents (so far) are owners with over 100k miles... :rolleyes:

WhiteNBlack08 07-17-2012 02:59 PM

As I've posted eslewhere here, 108K and I've had none of the above mentioned issues. Car runs flawlessly. Doesn't burn any oil, doesn't leak any fluids. I just had to do my first repair a week ago. Cost me $35 for a secondary air injection valve. Took all of 5 minutes to change. Yep, I'll definitely buy another one when the time comes.:D

Kermit 07-17-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwight (Post 523481)
And of course, none of the respondents (so far) are owners with over 100k miles... :rolleyes:

I'm 85% of the way there. :p Pretty darn close. None of those problems yet. Forgot to add that originally. Last post was complete sarcasm for the people with a dysfunctional sarcasm meter.

WhiteNBlack08 07-17-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a2jack (Post 523453)
Except we only hear from the exceptional car owners that do manage to make a 100k without breaking the bank. The majority just go quitely away.

To even try to make a case that most owners will get 100k, major trouble free driving from a Smart is wishfull thinking.

This Kind of hype could only come from a Chief "Insider" and good old Kamaal himself.

Don't your arms get tired carrying all that water for MB? :D A2Jack

Hey,look! Another Larry Jr.!:rolleyes:

a2jack 07-17-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteNBlack08 (Post 523486)
Hey,look! Another Larry Jr.!:rolleyes:

Larry comes across as a very smart and accomplished fellow. One could sure do worse. Thanks WhiteNBlack. :D A2Jack.