SCOA Club

Thanked 1,626 Times in 995 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild1 View Post
Sorry i do not have my 451 on the sight, it is just my every day car.
Ahem-- a lot of us consider our "every day car" to be pretty important.
I know I do.

Anyway, yours is definitely on the site. It's even on the most miles thread, although you haven't updated it recently.
jefferios and Miss Mercedes like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Don't get me wrong I love my 09 too, but she is not my favorite. Also I have updated my garage she in there now.
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 11:22 AM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,643 Posts
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
It's still relevant though, as the goal of this thread is data collection on all possible smarts, not just favourites.

Anyway, let's play!

2012 smart fortwo passion coupe - 102,000 miles.

engine failure due to leaking head gasket - No.
engine failure due to coolant loss - No.
engine failure due to valve problems - No.
failed clutch actuator - Needs replacing, but not failed yet!
failed fuel pump - No.
failed transmission - Still works despite the abuse from the clutch actuator.
failed front wheel bearings - Front right bearing started to go at 99,000 miles.
SLIVERS likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Mercedes For This Useful Post:
jwight (03-01-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
I just traded in my 2008 at 95,000 miles, because the repairs were piling up.

Between 90,000 and 95,000, I replaced the entire front end suspension (springs, struts, control bar arms, and all the parts that connect them), front brake rotors, rear brake drums, brake shoes, wheel bearings, 2 bent wheels, and four tires -- and the car was still driving and braking "bumpy" and/or "rumbley" (that's really the best way I can describe it). I had my wonderful mechanic practically take the entire car apart and put it back together, to no avail. Eventually, I realized that everything was simply getting old and fatigued,* like an 18 YO dog that you love to death but know its time has come, and so I said good by to my trusty friend and traded it in for a new 2016.

*I live in Philadelphia, where the streets are really just a bunch of potholes with some asphalt in between, so the car has definitely had more than its fair share of bumps and grinds.
jwight likes this.
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 09:46 AM

Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,519 Posts
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
Just went over 100,000

Only repair was a "clutch actuator" at 38,000. (self installed, gently used one)
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
just put the wife's '09 in the shop at 125k for the 100k standard flush maint. etc. mainly b/c I didn't have the time nor did I wanna jump through all the hoops to flush everything. for that I'm will to pay.
only issue she's ever had was a stumble/hesitation from stopped (under warranty) & stealership only replaced the plugs (or so they said) & did the transmission S/W "upgrade".
all I've ever done is change oil/filter with the Mobil 1 synth usually around 8k-11k miles & the air filters (engine & cabin). pretty sure we've been lucky so far but I'm a firm believer in preventive maint.
we love hers so much I just got a '12 w/43k. only thing I miss from hers is mine has no seat heaters.
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Rolled up 105k on my 08 last week. Only one of the mentioned problems....last month the clutch actuator bit the dust...plastic seat that the metal actuator rod sits in was wallowed out. Replaced with a used spare. I did have a catastropic engine failure at 30K that I have not heard of anyone else having. An oil ring ring broke and reamed out #1 cylinder resulting in about a half a cup of aluminum sludge in the bottom of the pan when I tore it down. Replaced with a salvage engine (10K) and no problems since. If anyone has a failed clutch actuator with a bad motor, I would like to buy it. The motor on my old one is still in good shape. Have burned 87 octane regular for the last 80 K and still average 40 mpg and no oil usage!
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage
Although I don't have 100,000 miles on my 09 I do have 112,000 km.

As noted in my other threads I blew my head gasket due to overheating. This was caused by a failed serpentine belt which was traced back to a bad belt tensioner. The locating pin on a new NAPA part had broken and this caused the belt to come off. Since I only saw the alternator light come on I figured it was a problem with the wrecker alternator I had just installed. Nope big mistake, drove the car back home and it overheated just before I got into the driveway.

Turns out after the tear down that two of my middle head bolts were not torqued down as much as the others and we suspected this added to the problem. But in order to discover this torquing issue you still have to drop the motor and strip it down so in other words if you are in it that far you may as well go for the head gasket and any other items that are old and only easily replaced with the motor out. That meant putting in a new water pump and thermostat.

Had the belt not come off I'm not sure how far I would have gone, but I suspect at some point my head gasket might have failed because of the bolt torque issue, at least that is what we guessed. My starter motor looks rusty and we are going to undercoat the subframe as even though I don't winter drive my smart the previous owner may have from the rust we saw with it out. smart and corrosion protection don't seem to be words I would use in the same sentence based on what we saw.

Since it's out the brake lines are getting flushed as is the coolant system.

When we took apart the motor there was a fair bit of carbon in the cylinders though it might have looked worse due to the introduction of coolant. Also replaced my rear (original) brake drums because I had replacements in stock. I'll do the fronts later as I bought those spares as well.

Based on what I saw, I'm going to set aside a spare starter and maybe I better find a pull on a shift motor. Already have two spare alternators as these are noted to be a failure prone item. Now I'm paranoid about the belt tensioner failure so ordered one of those bluetooth code reader data streamers to use with the 7" android tablet I have for the car so I can now properly monitor engine temperature.

Plugs also were replaced because they were soaked.

So my gut feeling is these cars can get really expensive really quickly if something major fails but otherwise most of the problems a 7-9 year old car face these do as well. I think for those living outside of the rust belt their smarts will fair a lot better than those of use who do unless you park yours during the winter months when the roads are paved with salt.
post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 07:44 AM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,643 Posts
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Revisiting this for my 451.

Previous answers:

2012 smart fortwo passion coupe - 102,000 miles.

engine failure due to leaking head gasket - No.
engine failure due to coolant loss - No.
engine failure due to valve problems - No.
failed clutch actuator - Needs replacing, but not failed yet!
failed fuel pump - No.
failed transmission - Still works despite the abuse from the clutch actuator.
failed front wheel bearings - Front right bearing started to go at 99,000 miles.

Current answers:

2012 smart fortwo passion coupe - 144,800 miles.

Engine failure due to leaking head gasket - No.

Engine failure due to coolant loss - No. Nearly had engine failure due to rapid oil loss and subsequent fire ignition of oil.

Engine failure due to valve problems - No.

Failed clutch actuator - Turned out not to need replacement, it just needed to be reset.

Failed fuel pump - No.

Failed transmission - Still works despite the abuse from towing heavy trailers long distance.

Failed front wheel bearings - Turned out that my front bearings were fine, the two rear ones were the bad ones. Both swapped out at around 105,000 miles.
jwight likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Mercedes For This Useful Post:
Smart Bob (06-20-2019)
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok bought my 2010 in 2016 with 55k now up to 134k. No major issues.
jwight and Smart Bob like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode