3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
For People Who Have A Cold Air Intake

Hello!
I'm thinking about getting a cold air intake for my 2013 Smart, but I'm a little confused about a few things and would love some help.

So these are the two different products that I was looking at from Smart Madness.

The Intake Upgrade Hose
smart fortwo Intake Upgrade Hose - 451 Model - Black Online Store - smart car Parts and Accessories

The Cold Air Intake W/ BMC Air Filter
smart fortwo Cold Air Intake - 451 model - w/ upgraded BMC Air Filter Online Store - smart car Parts and Accessories

My first question is will these even fit my Smart? I have the 2013 Sharp Red. The specs of my car says its engine is "Turbo Charged". Both of these parts say they will not fit turbo model smart cars. Sorry for the dumb question, but does my car fall under the "Turbo Model", if my paperwork says my car is Turbo Charged? Or is that slighty different? I'm confused on the wording.

My other question is if these two products can be used in conjunction with each other, OR if they are a "one or the other" product?

Also, do these two products do the same thing essentially/ serve the same purpose?

I'm not super knowledgable in cars, and I'm just doing research as I go along, so I would love and appreciate the help and explanation. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:07 PM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,648 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Garage
According to your post history you live in the United States. No 451 (2008-2015) sold in this country has a turbo. Where are you getting those specs from?

Assuming your car isn't some strange import and doesn't have an aftermarket turbo, both of those intakes will fit.

The cheaper intake is just a hose that replaces your factory resonator.

The more expensive intake replaces both your airbox and the resonator.

They both do the same thing in the end, but they do it differently and they aren't used together.

Someone dyno tested all the aftermarket intakes and his findings were that the cheap intake tubes with a high flow filter in the stock airbox provided more wheel horsepower than the much more expensive and flashy looking cold air intakes that replaced all of the stock intake system.

So my recommendation would be to get the cheaper one.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mercedes View Post
According to your post history you live in the United States. No 451 (2008-2015) sold in this country has a turbo. Where are you getting those specs from?

Assuming your car isn't some strange import and doesn't have an aftermarket turbo, both of those intakes will fit.

They both do the same thing in the end, but they do it differently and they aren't used together.

Someone dyno tested all the aftermarket intakes and his findings were that the cheap intake tubes with a high flow filter in the stock airbox provided more wheel horsepower than the much more expensive and flashy looking cold air intakes that replaced all of the stock intake system.

Thank you for this breakdown! Honestly, this helped so much and you answered all my questions.

I was actually thinking about buying this specific hose from eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicone-In...9/153185127525

As much as I like and appreciate Smart Madness, I think they are extremely overpriced.
This looks identical to the hose on Smart Madness, so hopefully it all goes smoothly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:15 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,442 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
I have the 2013 Sharp Red. The specs of my car says its engine is "Turbo Charged".
While "sharp red" was a MY13 smart limited edition, as Miss Mercedes suggests - no "turbo" versions of any 451 were shipped to this side of the pond.

https://media.daimler.com/marsMediaS...ml?oid=9918716
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I have the eBay one and it for perfectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mercedes View Post

Thank you for this breakdown! Honestly, this helped so much and you answered all my questions.

I was actually thinking about buying this specific hose from eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicone-In...9/153185127525

As much as I like and appreciate Smart Madness, I think they are extremely overpriced.
This looks identical to the hose on Smart Madness, so hopefully it all goes smoothly!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Did they also test these aftermarket intakes on the turbocharged engines?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 06:12 AM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,648 Posts
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Did they also test these aftermarket intakes on the turbocharged engines?
Looks like the intakes for turbo 451s are different than the naturally aspirated ones.
ETA: These 451 intakes also do not fit the 453. Looks like SmartMadness doesn't have 453 cold air intakes, either.

And yes, an eBay hose should work just fine! My 2012 has the "BMS Low Budget Intake", which is basically a couple rubber tubes from the hardware store and some hose clamps.

Last edited by Miss Mercedes; 10-09-2019 at 08:21 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Garage
Check out this link.
https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/fo...arison-152600/

Not just someone but one of our members banzairx7
Took considerable time, money and did several runs at a local dyno shop. Proving that a big fancy overpriced intake sucking 200 degree air from a HOT enclosed engine compartment, is Not a cold air intake.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
I didn't take any pictures of the after set up but here are all the part numbers I used.

From Amazon:
G-Plus Silicone Induction air intake hose kit
https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Inta...0465650&sr=8-4

Wix air filter
https://www.amazon.com/WIX-Filters-4...0465726&sr=8-1

From OReilly's:
BrakeBest rotors
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...39=Front&pos=0

BrakeBest ceramic pads
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...t/fortwo?pos=1
I just did the air intake mod to my 09 Smart. I bought the hose from Amazon for about the same price with free shipping. It is also the GPlus company.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo e Lefors View Post
Check out this link.
https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/fo...arison-152600/

Not just someone but one of our members banzairx7
Took considerable time, money and did several runs at a local dyno shop. Proving that a big fancy overpriced intake sucking 200 degree air from a HOT enclosed engine compartment, is Not a cold air intake.
Well.... all things considered, I can't imagine the factory air box helping the car get air that's really any colder. I'd actually be more inclined to believe that a system that replaces the air box would have the potential to get cooler air into it. While it's not DIRECTLY in line with the path of moving air, I'm pretty sure that a substantial amount of air does move around the engine bay and out those slots above the rear bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mercedes
Looks like SmartMadness doesn't have 453 cold air intakes, either.
Yeah, no. I've been asking them about it ever since i got my 453 about 4 years ago. Started off that they were in the process of making one. Then they had some prototypes, but nothing release ready. Then they up and decided not to release one due to lack of demand, and also said that it "created more noise than they expected" or something like that. I even tried to get one of the prototypes off of them, but they refused.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode