Thanked 1,928 Times in 896 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
Problems/issues with M-B/smart USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonspinnazz View Post
I'm beginning to fear what the MSRP is going to be. A month from launch and there's no mpg data, no crash test data, no pricing, not even a confirmed release date.

There's a press drive sometime this month starting in Portland...smart USA is so quiet that not even the Portland dealer knows about it.

I mean I know automakers are slow to release information, but smart USA has pretty much just fallen asleep behind the wheel.
And over the 8 year history of smart in the USA, you exected any different???

I love my smart, but this same old dog & pony show has gotten old. MB doesn't care anymore(probably less) about smart than Penske did... I've moved on...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 06:43 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,439 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Only the sound of crickets . . .

Quote:
There's a press drive sometime this month starting in Portland...smart USA is so quiet that not even the Portland dealer knows about it.
With all due respect to my friend "Miss Mercedes" aka Neon . . .

Since we have nothing 'cept the minutiae that was fed us in April on sUSAi, gotta wave the flag . . .

Reminds me of the much ballyhooed smart ED ROADSHOW that was staffed by "pretty agency" personnel who could hardly spell smart. Lots of hollow misinformed promises followed by delay, delay, delay. Have no idea what that boondoggle may have cost them but we got three FREE dinners and a couple limited edition smart coffee table books! Appears that smartUSA learns nothing from their missteps?

Where the heck has Mark Webster been since his last post MONTHS AGO on sUSAi? Guessing that he has NO TIME for Public Relations as he must still be busy putting the smart eBike back in the box to send home to The Mothership?

Since Eric left the building, only the sound of crickets over at smartUSAinsider except for jwight trying to single handedly keep the lights on.

And the latest non-committal posts from Facebook . . .

smart Nick Stein The all-new fortwo is slated for US sales roll-out in September-October.
July 27 at 6:51am · Edited

smart

July 29 at 10:00am ·

Our all-new fortwo rolls into dealerships this fall.

Last edited by MB DNA; 08-06-2015 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Added Facebook post . . .
The Following User Says Thank You to MB DNA For This Useful Post:
Smart Bob (08-06-2015)
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 07:16 AM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,644 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteNBlack08 View Post
And over the 8 year history of smart in the USA, you exected any different???

I love my smart, but this same old dog & pony show has gotten old. MB doesn't care anymore(probably less) about smart than Penske did... I've moved on...
Good point

I guess I kinda expected someone at smart USA/MB USA to go "Hey guys, this is our 2nd chance to get it right!" and they make sure this release is the biggest thing to happen to city cars in the US since the new Mini's first arrival.

But nope. I'm fairly certain that they only sell smarts here so big Mercedes can move as many S-Classes as they can.

Chevy can't stock enough Sparks to satisfy demand, yet MB USA says there's no market for a small four seat car.

I mean, I LOVE smart. To me, it's so much more than a brand and auto manufacturer to me. It's concrete proof that dreams do come true. And when I discovered smart, that's what I needed most in life. It's silly to think so, but getting my smart was a turning point for me...and is probably why I chose Mercedes as my new name.

So I'm very disappointed in post-Penske smart USA. Sure, they got the business end down perfect, but they care about as much about us as EA Games cares about gamers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
On the Canadian counterpart web site (Club Smart Car) one of the regular posters got a report from Automotive News that the ED's will be in 2017 but might launch as 2018 models. Oops. I'm just the messenger here folks....
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Good point

I guess I kinda expected someone at smart USA/MB USA to go "Hey guys, this is our 2nd chance to get it right!" and they make sure this release is the biggest thing to happen to city cars in the US since the new Mini's first arrival.

But nope. I'm fairly certain that they only sell smarts here so big Mercedes can move as many S-Classes as they can.

Chevy can't stock enough Sparks to satisfy demand, yet MB USA says there's no market for a small four seat car.

Yep. Not tooting my own horn, but I'm a perfect example of MB's failure. For the first 5-6 years they were here, they couldn't have asked for a better spokesperson. A lot of folks on this foum know me personally. I went to every event, I did all I could to help the dealership. I even helped sell cars on a busy weekend when their staff was overwhelmed, and never asked for anything in return. I relentlessly supported smarts effort, and tried to educate people on what smart was really about.

Now, I've given up. Like I said, I still love the car, but I long ago tired of beating my head against a wall with a company that really didn't care for the folks they were selling cars to. It's just a numbers game for MB now. How many smarts can they sell to offset the S-class & AMG's that make them the big $$$. Someday I will finally wear out my smart, then I'll be done with the brand. At this point, it's lost is "sparkle" for me. Once upon a time, I was convinced I would own a smart for the rest of my life. Now, I'll probably never own another one. It's not the car's fault, I couldn't have asked for a better car. It is the supporting company.

smart is a lifestyle, not just a car. Folks that own smarts want to be involved, they was to make a difference. It's not just transportation, and MB doesn't get that...

It's really sad, and very disappointing...
RVGRINGO, NCC1701 and jefferios like this.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 09:11 AM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,644 Posts
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Indeed. This brand is so much a part of me that MB's shenanigans won't stop me from staying loyal (I know the smart brand itself is still magical, just so poorly managed on the American front), but post-Penske smart USA is so concerned about that bottom line that they leeched out all of the lifestyle things that have made smarts so cool in America.

Jeep owners get MOAB, we had our rallies. Penske's smart USA put the owners (and prospective owners) first and foremost. So much energy. And then MB USA came around and what happened? The energy died. I mean, look at sUSAi, here, and even the rallies.

At one point in time, we had over 100 smarts (209 down in Florida one year) coming to events all over the country. Dave S. would come out to them and chat and converse with who were effectively his customers. I mean shoot, Penske's smart USA was considering giving me a smart back then. Now, outside of a dealer volunteering, we're all on our own. This forum is mostly kept alive by the Elio and by new owners asking questions. It's so sad, because this is not the smart I fell in love with. But, I still love the car itself to let the death of the lifestyle affect me.
RVGRINGO likes this.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 11:22 AM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Orphan.... man it's been a long time since I'd heard that term.

I was there for the 209 car anniversary meet.... and the 92 of us that took over Robbinsville, NC for the weekend 8 years ago... any support for events like that is long gone. Pretty much every year smartUSA would send some promo items for giveaways and such for OTD.... this year we can't even get a return phone call or email. Our friends at SC Knox are still there but outside of local dealer support if you can get it national support is non existent.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 12:03 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,439 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXsmart View Post
...this year we can't even get a return phone call or email.
No real need for smartUSA to commit ANY resources to a group of people who already own a smart?

Like a past President might say, Mission Accomplished.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Time to order your new 453

Geez, and "Time to order..." sounded like such a positive topic (for us few unjaded) before the never-ending MBZ rant reared its ugly head again.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Geez, and "Time to order..." sounded like such a positive topic (for us few unjaded) before the never-ending MBZ rant reared its ugly head again.
I don't like being this way, but unfortunately MB has bred it. We've all drank the kool-aid at some point. I was one of the best at it... But eventually reality needs to set in, and you realize that it's not all sugar plums and fairies...

I hope everybody that gets a 453 is as happy as I have been with my 451, I really do, but I've had enough. I've already taken the step, and gone back to what I grew up with: My love for FWD Mopars... Sure I'm not getting 43 mpg anymore, but low 30's isn't bad. Plus I'm a gearhead at heart. I can work on, and restore these Mopars all day long, and love every minute of it. I've got two great forum communities similar to this one, where the folks are supportive, and full of knowledge. That's where I get my "fix" now. And I love every minute of it...

MB shot themselves in the foot a long time ago with me. That, and a completely unethical local dealer owner have pretty much sealed their fate with me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode