Smart Car of America Forum banner

Product idea....

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  nscaler 
#1 ·
The two holes in the back of the smart are strong enough to hold a pretty heavy bike/ski rack. Which unfortunately is about $500 and backordered to infinity. What other things could we use those holes for?

I have an idea. Make a 1 1/4" receiver that hung down at normal tow level and bolted into the holes. Not to use for towing, absolutely not, but to be able to use the many accessories already made to fit in a 1 1/4" receiver. I have seen bike racks, ski racks, coolers, cargo holders made to fit in a 1 1/4" receiver. One of those cargo holders would be a great place to hold a spare and jack for a long trip.

It may have to be triangulated by a support running from the back of the receiver to the frame somewhere, but I'm guessing this wouldn't be that big a deal to figure out.

The whole world of standard 1 1/4" accessories would be opened up.

#7 ·
If the bolt(s) were long enough and the threaded part just seated in the socket, it would not have to touch the body at all. If the weight could be kept low (like a bike or skiis rack) incorporating the 1 1/4" receiver, just the two bolts would be sufficient. Remove the rack to open the gate. The receiver / bar could stay on the car all the time.
I think a 1 1/4" inch tube would work with the receiver welded in the middle (same diameter - cleaner look). Two holes for the bolts in each end. Fabricating the bolt assemblies would be the only complicated part.
Hmmm...;)

#15 ·
Since no one mentioned. Engine heat off the back of the car is no where near the heat that builds up on the tires that touch the ground. Continental kit may not be for me though if I installed a "Penny" tire cover it would remind everyone in their 30 somethings of a Penny Racer. :)

#20 ·
Bolts

Those bolts are great, if a little pricey. Of course, the smart bike rack at $500 is more than a little pricey.

So, 1 1/4" or so tubing or box steel, ends bolted to these bolts which would hold the tubing or box steel away from the paint. The only problem I see now is that the receiver needs to be pretty long to accommodate the standard receiver accessories. Basically a long lever creating a lot of torsion. I guess this is where you get a mechanical engineer involved if you are a company, and you just try it out if you are not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.