User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Questions on Smart Trans.

My wife and I drove three different cars at the Bloomfield Michigan "invite"
tour. We also were able to talk to ,two Smart car corp people and ask a number of questions about the cars. Here is what we learned.
(All tour cars are the 07 Euro model).

Sitting in the car the first thing that hits you is the unexpected spacious cabin. Lots and lots of room. Next, the high quality of the fit and finish.

On start up, the exhaust note sounds like a small British sports car (love it).
The car handles well and has quick steering with great brakes.

The transmission is quirky. and in my opinon, needs to be re-programed to better fit the USA aggressive driving style (My wife and I both found what Microsoft would call a "Fatal flaw"). When floored to merge into fast moving traffic the engine wound out and did not want to shift quickly into a a higher gear. Decreasing the power caused the trans to momentarily go up a grear, then, all by it's self, drop down to a low gear leaving the driver, high and dry, out front of oncoming traffic. I was able to make the next car do the same thing as a test. Three cars in all and driven with the trans in the automatic mode.

More info on the questions asked the Smart corp people next post. I think this post is about to time out. A2Jack.

Last edited by a2jack; 07-31-2007 at 11:34 AM. Reason: add trans mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
welcome to the smart car..

all that you describe is perfectly normal for a smart car, if you want a more "normal" car buy a toyota...
The shifting gets better if you do it manually...in reality the new version is a lot better that the older 6 speed trans...:eek:
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Tricky trans fools uninformed driver.

Smartmx.

I agree the car is what it is, and had I known before I drove it, I would never have reduced power until it shifted. The 2nd time it did it's trick, I was ready for it.

As for if I wanted a more "normal" car, buy a Toyota... No we love little cars and we just want Smart to fix this USA model before the lawsuits start.

The first little old lady that goes up the Pasadina freeway on ramp, hesitates, the trans downshifts, and she gets hit by that SUV (the one we have all been warned about). That will be begining of the end for Smart, as it was for the Corviar.

The Smart will be purchased by many different drivers with different driving skills. That was the problem with the Corviar. As long as the "boy racers" had them, no problems. As soon as the general public got them, we started scraping them off tunnel walls and pulling them out of canyons. ( As a young man, I was on a crash truck crew in LA).

I wish the best for Smart and will probably still buy one. A Smart VP assured my wife they are aware of the problem, and it will be fixed on 2008s. We shall see.

A2jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 08:19 PM

Hi a2jack
I know most Americans would consider that a problem, but the car has been in the market for 9 years and people have learned to drive it, I do not see how the US can be so different, or is it that in other countries they are better drivers
To me that fix is part of what makes smart unique, I have had mine for 2 1/2 years and no problems and the new one I drove actually is improved over the 6 speed trans.. I guess that's as good as it gets
And yes you do see for2's in the autobahn..
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I'm afraid I have to agree with "a2jack" on the lawsuit thing. Yes, they have been in the market for 9 years abroad, but not here in the US. Let the first few people get hit or killed due to transmission lag or issues and the lawsuits will definitely start. I remember Pontiac getting sued over making the Trans Am too fast of a car because of so many deaths due to kids racing them. I don't recall the outcome of the lawsuit (so long ago), but just the fact that the lawsuits will happen would put a damper on the Smart sales and bring bad publicity that I sure don't want to see happen to the Smart. JMO.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 08:56 AM
SCOA Club

Transmission from Getrag

On the new smart all engines are combined with an automated manual five-speed transmission from Getrag, replacing the previous laborious six-speed mode.

Getrag Corporate Group is the systems supplier and integration partner for transmission and drive train systems. They are the largest independent manufacturer of transmissions in the world.

The earlier Smart Fortwo was disapproved by many because of its lengthy gear change. The new drive engineering provides for a more agility and smoother driving experience. Smart says that despite the extra power, fuel consumption ranges are better.

So if you are unsatisfied with this setup you would have been truly disappointed with the older version. If in fact the car you drove had the new transmission from Getrag. I suggest you find a gray market dealer and try a test drive to see how the older transmission performs?
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

I'm not the enemy.

SmartAmerica.

I too love the little Smart car. I feel you are speaking from your heart.

IMO the trans, as it is now set up, is an accident waiting to happen to an unsuspecting driver.

As per my previous posts, I drove two cars 2007s. All had Michigan MFG plates.I was told these were Euro Model cars used for the whole tour.

I drove two cars, my wife one. She arrived at the show long after I left and I didn't talk to her until she arrived home. Yet she related the very same experiance I had, dumped out in front of oncoming traffic when the trans shifted down with no driver input.

This country lives for it's lawsuits. All I'm doing here is giving a "Heads Up" to Smart car corp, and those of us who will be buying them.

A2jack.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 09:18 PM

re: the passing. .. dude, it's a 3-BANGER it's not passin' ANYTHING!

I like all the other things you said about the appointments, that's my main concern over power, is a nice & comfortable but compliant ride.

. ..but yeah, bro, no passing in this car, please, it almost defeats the purpose of actually buying it.

But I see what you mean: some urban areas that they are targeting for its use, (NY, SF, Chicago, big citites) require a certain getup& go, or ur toast. That would suck

Last edited by JEDI 2.0; 08-06-2007 at 09:24 PM. Reason: eh, i dunno.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Not Passing, but Merging.

JEDI2.1

It was not the get up and go that gave us grief, the problem was it wouldn't keep going !!!

The Smart is a quick little car with superb handling and lots of power. The unexpected down shift was a surprise and a dangerous flaw.

We have had lots of low HP cars and lived in LA. We do know how to run little cars in fast traffic. (Honda 600cc, Subaru 360cc, a couple of VW Bugs, 36hp and 40hp Micro buss. My everyday driver is a 1.3L Festiva.

The set up here was this: drive across the parking lot, out a short driveway into fast moving traffic.

The posted speed limit was 50, and as is typical in Michigan, the traffic was moving much faster. We got it on, halfway made the merg, reduced power a bit to let the trans shift and there we were... Dead in the water.

Being able to really run these cars was a real eye opener. Although the rides were short, I at least had a chance to test how it performed in real city use.

All you Smarties who are yet to take your test drive, when you do drive it give it a real work out, dont just chug around the block. If you find something you're not sure about; have guts, and get back in line and drive it again.

A2jack
I do hope Smart Corp is reading the forums
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 08:35 PM
Mostly Harmless
SCOA Club

I have to agree with a2jack. I drove the car twice at each of the Albuquerque and Denver street smart events. In Albuquerque I drove in fully automatic (softouch) mode, and the transmission was downright quirky; I too lifted in anticipation of an upshift and suffered the "dead in the water" syndrome. Also, it seemed to "push" when slowing for a corner, i.e. it didn't downshift and the engine felt like it was trying to override the brakes.

In Denver I drove in clutchless manual (softip) mode, and the thing was an absolute blast. It was quick, responsive and totally fun; downshifting for corners with the paddle shifter was especially rewarding - made me feel like Michael Schumacher (minus the huge G-forces and vast fortune).

The street smart crew (who incidently were excellent - very informative and enthusiastic), were telling folks in Denver that the automatic shifter would be "reprogrammed" for the US market. Personally I'm skeptical that this will fix the problem (although perhaps a tacit acknowledgment that one exists); it seems more deeply rooted in the core of the transmission's logic. I do think that as things stand it's a potentially dangerous fault and there will be lawsuits...

In closing, I would hate for anything said above to put a person off the car. Personally I found the rest of the vehicle to absolutely brilliant, both in concept and execution, and in softip mode the transmission works just fine. You really need to test drive it for yourself (unless you're ahead of me on the waiting list, in which case you should cancel immediately ).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode