LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
King of Smart Gadgetry
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Garage
Radio Can bus Question and spkr question.

I have taken the plunge and ordered me a 2 DIN android NAV radio to replace the lowline radio in my 451. It seems radios are alot more sophisticated and do alot more. I researched my tail end off for about 3 days before settling on the model of radio that had the features I wanted in my price range. The radio I just ordered has 2 wires that are marked to go to the CanBus. They are wire #2 and wire #12 .

I know the one is recieve and the other is transmitt, but other than that I am lost. Has anyone else dealt with these wires on a Smart and can give me some advice on whether to connect them or not. Also where would they connect to the systemm the ODBII connector? I am lost on this and even what the purpose is to connect the radio to the CanBus other than to maybe read fault codes? I bought an adapter kit that has the faceplate and also the wiring adapter plug that plugs into the existing Smart harness and gives me the stripped wires to connect to the plug of the new radio.

And lastly I have read the old threads on installing a small set of rear speakers in my cargo area. I would either like to do them beside the sealt belt retractors or overhead pointing down. As near as I can tell there's only about 1 1/4 inches between the plastic and the tridion. Any advice on a cheap set of speakers I could order? Thanks. DCO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 01:18 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
I believe the best place to direct those questions are to the manufacturer of the head unit that you purchased. There is no need IMO to use a canbus for a smart 451 radio installation.

My hunch is that any wiring on your replacement headunit that is designated for a canbus should be ignored and left aside.
DreamCarOwner likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Looked it up because it looks very nice! Maybe it is for steering wheel controls....:

http://www.myatoto.com/index.php?m=c...catid=15&id=17

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Maybe not. Sorry....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 02:09 PM
SCOA Club

The canbus is generally to tap into an automobile's existing screen, for example touch screen climate controls a'la Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, or an automobile's existing controller based screens a' la Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Infiniti, etc,. Using it is unnecessary in the smart 451 as there was no touchscreen interface to tap into.

That head unit will take advantage of steering wheel controls as well, however the smart 451 never used them so those wire(s) (usually marked SWC) are also going to be ignored...
misfitsailor likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 02:11 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,214 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Ignore those two wires. There is no CAN connection to the radio on a smart. In any case, the two CAN wires on the vehicle are not transmit and receive but CAN-hi and CAN-lo. If I remember correctly they are both biased to about 2.5 volts with CAN-hi going higher and CAN-lo going lower when data packets are active. The voltages on the two lines mirror each other when viewed with a oscilloscope.

Connecting anything to the CAN-bus wires on a vehicle is asking for trouble unless you know exactly what you are doing.
misfitsailor likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 02:20 PM
SCOA Club

It's a nice head unit. It can do everything an Android tablet can do, and IMO Androids are the most logical layout for aftermarket automotive entertainment. Unfortunately however, they're primarily off brand units which means they are prone to random failures, bizarre user interfaces, etc,. I'm confident though, that it will serve you better than the 451's extremely basic head unit.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
King of Smart Gadgetry
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Garage
As far as steering wheel controls go I ordered a bluetooth one that will communicate with the radio. I am under the assumption that a car with factory steering radio controls are bluetooth and not hard wired. I could be wrong about this but at any rate here's the controller I ordered from China for around $3.

As far as the CanBus connections, as finnicky as the SAM is I really didn't want to risk connecting the radio to it without some positive evidence that others have done it. Thank you Mister Smart LA for the heads up on what the connection might be for. Just a couple of weeks ago I installed a radio in my brothers 2007 Jeep that has more options than a new Cadilac. It had an aftermarket radio in it from Pyle and it had 2 yellow wires marked Canbus, but they weren't connected. The new radio I put in it had marked Canbus wires but I didn;t connect them either. I thought that it might have to do with reading engine codes with the proper android program. Atoto is a relatively new company and guess I'll find out if they make a good head unit. I know the lowline radio has several different connections and didn't know if any ran to the Canbus or not. Thanks Rusted Wrench for that heads up. I will leave the Canbus wires taped up and not used. Thanks. DCO
misfitsailor likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 08:17 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,214 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Some OEMs connect the CAN-bus to the radio so it can receive vehicle speed data for dynamic volume control. There is also a theft-deterrent reason as well, especially on radios that have the VIN written to them.
DreamCarOwner likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustedwrench For This Useful Post:
Smart Bob (11-27-2016)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCarOwner View Post
I am under the assumption that a car with factory steering radio controls are bluetooth and not hard wired. I could be wrong about this but at any rate here's the controller I ordered from China for around $3. DCO
You are incorrect. - The Factory steering radio controls on any car are 100% hardwired. (hence the can bus)

In your setup, that controller should work fine..

Best of luck with it..
The Following User Says Thank You to Scuba Steve For This Useful Post:
DreamCarOwner (11-28-2016)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode