LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Rear Camera Install

Hello All:
I have a Garmin GPS with the optional rear camera. It mounts on the license plate upper screws.

My question, has anyone wired a rear camera yet? If so, how did the wiring go? I know I have to get to the wiring and I figured the drivers side would be the easiest. Does anyone have the color code for the tail light assembly?

We have a rear camera on the other car in the family, and if adjusted correctly, quite handy.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Ned C:
in WISCONSIN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 01:11 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedleyC View Post
Hello All:
I have a Garmin GPS with the optional rear camera. It mounts on the license plate upper screws.

My question, has anyone wired a rear camera yet? If so, how did the wiring go? I know I have to get to the wiring and I figured the drivers side would be the easiest. Does anyone have the color code for the tail light assembly?

We have a rear camera on the other car in the family, and if adjusted correctly, quite handy.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Ned C:
in WISCONSIN.

Tap into the power line going to the reverse light. It'll trigger the rear camera to turn on.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Yellow wire with Red stripe= Backup light
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
NedleyC (06-19-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Many Thanks !!

I can now finish my project...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I installed a camera as well. When the top is folded down in the last position it is impossible to see behind me. As others have already said itís a straightforward install. I wanted mine to look as OEM as possible, so I used a wire loom going from the tailgate into the car using the same grommet the license plate lighting wires go through. My 451 did not come with the optional dash pod gauges, so I purchased a lcd display for the camera and mounted it where the pods would go. I can upload photos if interested.

The monitor I installed as a 2nd video input, and Iíve debated on using an android tablet with video output linked to my OBD II adapter and connected to that input. With the proper triggers programmed when the car is running the torque app would display on the screen with various gauges and when in reverse the display would switch to the camera. As I said, Iíve debated...havenít done it yet. I ran across a YouTube video of a guy in Australia who used an old android phone as a permanent gauge display in his BMW. It frees up having to launch the torque app on his phone when he gets in the car...or in my case the OBDII adapters arenít compatible with my iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

update

Many thanks for your help Optimist. I will now finish my project.

Hey all: Just finished with the camera install. It's a BC 30 from Garmin. I fished the power leads on the drivers side down to the rear light area. Drilled a small hole in the surrounding metal for ground lead, and thanks to Optimist, tapped into the reverse light lead. Mounted the camera inside in the rear wiper plastic with a nut and small screw. and sure is nice to not have to give yourself whip lash to make sure nothing is behind.

Again, this project inspired me to spend the $15.00 to join.. I can't say enough thanks for the help with this.

Ned C:
jwight likes this.

Last edited by NedleyC; 06-21-2018 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Miss spelled a couple words OPPS
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
I thought about putting my backup camera i installed in my 453 there.... in the plastic lip above the rear wiper on the exterior.... but figured running the wires, even IF i could figure out how to easily take that piece off, would have probably been a bit of a nightmare. So i just took the rear panel off the tailgate (which wasn't very easy, either) and put it in the typical spot... above the license plate. Though, it made me wish i had bought a different backup camera, as this one is angled a bit too far towards the ground, so i see mostly the street behind me, and not as much as i'd like directly behind and off to the sides.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think its not easy to install rear camera.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 04:43 AM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedleyC View Post
Drilled a small hole in the surrounding metal for ground lead, and thanks to Optimist, tapped into the reverse light lead.

Ned C:
There is also a handy ground on the right side that is used foe the lights. You'll see it just to the right of the engine cover.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelandtirecare View Post
I think its not easy to install rear camera.

It is simple after cartoys quoted me 200 usd for install. I had it done myself in 35 minutes. Used the ground next to engine case and routed the wires from door panel under molding following existing wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode