Smart Car (extra) warranty - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smart Car (extra) warranty

I was called by the Mercedes/Smart Car dealer up in Jax area, my car is in port along with several thousand others destined to be shipped throughout the S.E. They said I would have within 30 days, but it may be only 10. Just lots of cars to un-wrap, get prepped & shipped to dealers. The gal told me about the warranty you can buy that goes beyond their 24 month, 24K mile bumper to bumper. I do like their tire AND WHEEL unlimited replacement deal for $345. She said the most popular package was 5yr, 60K mile deal along with this tire/wheel deal. You can go all the way out to 100K miles, but I don't need that much as this is strictly a 2nd car mainly for this island we live on. Destination charge is $645, dealer fee is $479.70, transfer tag fee is $100 and tax is 7%. Those cheap folks don't even inc. floor mats, so will order the velour ones, and take a look at the rubber ones also when I'm up there. I went ahead & sold my Toyota SUV to a golfing friend & he won't get until I get the Smart Car. Finally, after 13 months of waiting. Any comments on all those extended warranty deals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 05:18 PM

the 3rd party warranty should be considered only if you are extremely risk adverse. it's a lot of money considering what it does not cover, the deductibles and the statistical likelihood of something catastrophic happening after the 2 year FACTORY warranty runs out. the 3rd party warranty is not an extension of the factory warranty. the last time i bought a 3rd party warranty was maybe 15 years ago, paid a few thousand for it, never used it and it was a good thing because the company underwriting it went out of business. waste of a few grand in my case. i'd rather put the few grand in a high-yield account and if something bad happens, i'll have the CASH to repair it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 08:34 PM

I purchased the "Universal Underwrite" 60 month/ 60 K mile optional sevice contract for $995 when I signed the financing agreement at the Mercedes dealer. Seemed fairly reasonable service insurance for a first-run model like the 2008 smart fortwo passion.

but, i am one who is risk-averse, i would rather err on the "over-insured" side of this equation...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 07:10 AM

Warranty

I am musing the very idea as we speak. MB of San Diego offers different extended packages backed supposedly by SMOA, but, it is only a Mechanical Breakdown Insurance package. The 60/60,000 is $995. I have been looking at Warranty Direct, which apparently here in California, is the only company that offers a package for the Smart at this time. Their Bumper to Bumper or exclusionary package is $566 for the 60/60,000 and covers "wear and tear" in addition to MBI. From what I have found out this stuff gets complicated. So, you get a lot more from WD than MBSD. FYI
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 07:18 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,808 Times in 3,521 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode