Smart cars and motorcycles - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smart cars and motorcycles

I like motorcycles and have riden them for about 30 years. I am interested, now that I have and really like my ForTwo passion coupe, as to how many of you realize that their is a certain similarity, sans performance, between this little gem and a cycle. Same sense of adventure and accomplishment upon reaching a far destination. Is it only me?

Last edited by mauleskyrocket; 10-10-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Ex Admin/mod.
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,456 Times in 939 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Motorcycling was fun... for many years.
But the advantages of a roof, heat & A/C make the smart so much more... comfy. Not to mention esp©, ABS, CBC, BAS, ESC, ETC & HSA. (see smart fortwo active safety features)
Driving them does have similarities indeed.

Last edited by JPaul; 10-10-2010 at 09:01 AM.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also rode a bike for about 30 years. I sold it about 10 years ago. When I got my Smart, a lot of the old biking memories started to come back.

The Smart is a pleasant replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 08:59 AM
He's not mine
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,626 Times in 995 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Garage
I haven't been on a bike since I luckily escaped serious injury in a wreck in my late teens. BUT, I think I do know what you mean, a the sense of achievement I used to get on long bicycle trips. I've talked with a number of bikers (motorcyclists) since I got my smart and they usually seem very interested in the car. I talked to one guy beside the road at Deal's Gap for a good 20 minutes. He might be a buyer! I also often get approving gestures from bikers in traffic (thumbs up, peace signs, etc.)

Welcome to SCOA ... Enjoy your ride!
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,929 Times in 1,005 Posts
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I rode a bike for a long time, 25 years, but gave it up about 5 years ago when I moved way back on a dirt road.

I'm sure you've noticed riders are very accepting of the smart. Seems like 75% of all bikes that pass wave.

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Couple of years ago I took my smart to Laughlin instead of the HD, but I made sure to put a sticker on the rear window. Lots of thumbs up. Agree with all the above, only ride the bike now when all the conditions are perfect: no traffic, sun shining but not too hot, minimum protection like helmet and long pants. My only regret, wish the smart accelerated like my V-Rod...
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 11:39 AM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
I always said that my smart is a motorcycle with doors.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I don't understand the "sense of ... accomplishment after reaching a far destination."

Because the smart is an effortless traveler, I've never felt I'm accomplishing anything different in the smart by driving cross country or taking road trips of a few hours distance that I wouldn't accomplish in a Wrangler or Z4 roadster or any other regular car.

The smart's a joy to drive. It keeps me dry, protected, and smiling. And no bugs in my teeth.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 01:17 PM
aka 'Red-Devil'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Having ridden for the past 40 years (Wow, I am getting long in the tooth ;-)), most of it in the Washington D.C. area, I think I can relate to the "sense of ... accomplishment after reaching a far destination.", but I would probably call it a sense of adventure. Bikers (at least the ones who grow old) tend to be more focused on everything around them, watching for the right turn on Red or the driver's head motions indicating a turn or lane change. Most trips are highlighted by at least one scare or at least an avoided scare by guessing what was going to happen. I find the experience in the smart to be similar. I tend to drive fast, many people with ADD do, it keeps the mind busy and focused on the task of driving or riding. Now the average driver around here is too busy reading the paper, texting, eating, talking on the phone or whatever to bother noticing a bike or something small like a smart (occasionally something large like a dump truck) coming along side, so they tend to just move where ever they desire. A bike or a smart is very maneuverable, so if you are paying attention and don't wish to be hit (for what ever reason) you have a good chance of avoiding these encounters. For a biker driving the smart is much like riding his/her bike, the sense of adventure and challenge of survival are the same (wish the acceleration was ). I guess if you drive a smart like the Zombies around here drive, you could just relax and trust in your tridon cell, personally, I'd rather not get hit ;-).
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think it's a matter of accomplishment, but more of an "In Your Face" to the non-believers, and critics.

Tags
motorcycles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode