Smart Car of America Forum banner

smart dead in the US and Canada after 2019 model year

14K views 87 replies 36 participants last post by  1983JZR3W 
#1 ·
Daimler pulls the plug on electric smart car sales in US, Canada

Daimler is ending sales of its diminutive all-electric smart fortwo cars in the U.S. and Canada, officially pulling the plug on a vehicle that has struggled to gain ground in North America as the German automaker prepares to bring the brand to China, TechCrunch has learned.

Smart won’t be sold in the U.S. and Canada after the 2019 model year, Daimler AG confirmed after two sources familiar with the decision shared the information with TechCrunch.

“After much careful consideration, smart will discontinue its battery-electric smart EQ fortwo model in the U.S. and Canadian markets at the conclusion of MY2019,” a Daimler AG spokesperson wrote in an emailed statement. “A number of factors, including a declining micro-car market in the U.S. and Canada, combined with high homologation costs for a low volume model are central to this decision.”

MBUSA and Mercedes-Benz Canada will continue to provide owners of gasoline-powered and electric smart fortwo models with access to service and replacement parts via smart and authorized Mercedes-Benz dealers, the company told TechCrunch.

Model years begin and end mid-year, suggesting that June will be the final month of production. Sales of the vehicles will continue through end the of the year.
:)

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/29/daimler-pulls-the-plug-on-electric-smart-car-sales-in-u-s-canada/

#3 ·
#4 ·
Our smart dealership, Aristocratic Motors will still service the ICE vehicles. Won’t lay a finger on any of the EV cars. If you’v bought a EV, seems like your on you own. According to intellectual choice, after 5 year of ownership. A EV smart car, only holds 17% of its residual value. If you own one, and it breaks. You can buy another one pretty cheap. Stock up on them, for parts.

#18 ·
Daimler will stop selling its adorably small Smart cars in the US and Canada

The Verge
Mercedes Benz will stop selling the Smart in the USA and in Canada. I saw this on Facebook. I have found different sources (some posted here - above and below).
:nerd:

Electrotrek.

CNBC

Tech Crunch.

Car and Driver

I am glad Madness Motorworks decided to broaden their sales to other makes and models other than the Smart.

#20 ·
Yes, not a surprise, but sad all the same. I wouldn't have anything but the diesel and expect I'll have it until my youngest daughter gets married, at which point I'll give the all white Canada 1 BRABUS to her. Could be a few years yet. Or maybe we'll buy her another diesel and keep this one!

#21 ·
Shame it's happening to you guys.

Here in Europe production continues at Hambach and Romania until 2022 at least. Sales are slow, but steady and predictable, so while it's not a cash cow it's not currently losing them money either.

In 2022 Geely start manufacture, and they're intent on taking on the World. Daimler's loss of confidence in the US, in part the fault of the Mother companies lack of interest and investment in all aspects of the brand, is unlikely to be a mistake Geely will repeat.

In the meantime though, you folks have some pain ahead. I wish you all the best for a decent parts supply. Thr ICE powered models can be tinkered with by anyone with half a braincell, but it must be squeaky bum time for the poor souls who've invested in electric models in good faith and who mat now face difficulty finding someone to work on them.

#23 ·
Smart to exit US after 2019

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1122847_smart-to-exit-us-after-2019

The Smart brand will no longer sell cars in the United States and Canada after the 2019 model year.

The cause is shrinking demand for minicars coupled with the high cost of homologating future models for local sale.
Smart sales totaled 1,276 units in the U.S. in 2018, down from a high of 24,622 units a decade ago, and the sole model currently on sale, an electric version of the Fortwo, is registering less than 100 units per month.

Existing owners shouldn't worry as access to service and replacement parts will still be available via authorized Mercedes-Benz dealerships, Smart spokeswoman Catherine Gebhardt said in a statement released on Monday.

Parent company Daimler hasn't managed to turn Smart into a profitable brand in the two decades since the first-generation Fortwo was launched. There was a risk the brand might be dissolved altogether but in March a deal was struck with Daimler's main shareholder, Geely, which will see Smart live on outside the U.S.

The plan is to establish a 50:50 joint venture in China that will be responsible for the manufacturing and marketing of Smart cars. A new, expanded lineup of Smart cars will start launching from 2022, with the cars to be offered exclusively with battery-electric powertrains.

#24 ·
I came here following the news I first read yesterday regarding the loss of our little brand here in America to share some (typically) positive thoughts, and leave out most of the negative ones. That goes without saying; yes that sucks, mainly because I was really, REALLY hopeful that 'expansion in to the B-segment' under Geely meant a new ForFour or some equivalent that we may be getting in the states. That vehicle, whatever it was, would have GUARANTEED been my next car. I now hold out hope for VW to follow through with a truly amazing electric VW bus as my boys grow up and sliding doors (in addition to more than 2 seats) is are the two unwavering requirements for my next vehicle. Cruise and crank windows be damned.

I digress, as usual... So Smart is going to be no longer. I'm pretty sad about that because I absolutely love both my little 451 and 453. I've absolutely loved (and will continue to love) my blue 451 that was even a part of our wedding, and have amassed a collection of 3-lug wheels and other accessories in anticipation for this happening. I imagine parts, not now, not next year, but in 20+ years will start becoming scarce. Not Isetta rare, but hard-to-find for sure. I drive the wheels off my 453, so I imagine it will be replaced in the future, and should its time ever come, I'm totally open to plunking down the cash on another one. I'm happy I found a blue + white 453 well before this announcement. (They fit in a single garage together; huge perk.)

I'm hoping that in the future, again, albeit distant, that these cars finally begin to climb in value. I'm not saying these will be high-dollar collector's items, but the ones where all the plastic bits don't fail will be desirable in some fashion. Soon they'll all be limited editions! They had a good run, but this country is too obsessed with SUVs and Crossovers to care about compact cars, especially niche micro cars. The decision to stop selling the cars here will ultimately be good for the brand, because I'd imagine we were the biggest costs to the company. Focusing on European and Asian markets will concentrate the car where it sells, and ultimately help to see the company afloat in the future. Sad for us, good for the brand.

The final hope is, if the cars continue to exist here as that Diamler ride sharing company vehicle in urban cities, that the new cars (if they come here) will eventually find their way to the used market after their fleet duty. That just may be my ticket to the next vehicle. Perhaps this will be a Ford-style announcement where they say they're canceling all cars, maybe they're canceling the ForTwo, and some B-segment vehicle may arrive here in the future, even if it's a rebadged Mercedes EQ. Pie in the sky, but a thought nonetheless. I hope the brand has continued success regardless. Here's hoping! I'll certainly miss them here.

#27 ·
Here in the UK the petrol (gas) version of the Fortwo Cabrio can no longer be ordered after end of March this year, so its too late now. So the wind down of petrol Cabrios is happening right now on the production line as the last one rolls out to new owners by May latest. I have a 2018 petrol cabrio at the moment and I am keeping it.

The other models petrol Fortwo coupe and petrol Forfour (four seater never was available in USA/Canada) finishes at end of year and thats it :(

After that I bet there is going to be a real downturn in sales in 2022, as most petrol owners of Fortwo's do not want a very poor range Chinese made electric Smart in UK. Europe, etc. I don't want one.

Smart has made a real big mistake by going 'all electric' only.

#28 ·
I doubt the Geely models will be poor range, seeing as they're already churning leccy cars for their home market with much greater range than the 453EQ.

In any case, how much range does a city car need? Other than cabbies, who does a 60 mile urban daily commute, or a 60 mile urban journey for a paper and a pack of Bensons? Practically nobody. OK, someone will, but that's a tiny sliver of atypical users, and they alone can't support a models development and sales. Nearly everyone else who regularly does significant mileage wouldn't be looking at a city car in the first place, so it's almost a non-issue.

The mileage capacity only really became an issue if the brand does start to expand into the B and C sectors as they're the models traditionally used for more realistic mileages, but then along with bigger cars comes more space for batteries anyway. This is particularly true if they're designed from the start to accommodate them, which the 451 and 453 never were, with the batteries squeezed into the spaces left by the tiny underfloor fuel tanks.

#29 ·
The only way smart will return to North America is possibly as part of the Daimler ride sharing service, Share Now (formerly car2go.) Pretty sure they will not be offered for retail sale, especially after the debacle here with the 451/453. :)

#35 ·
Not necessarily. Rarity does not automatically mean something will appreciate in value. It also has to be popular.

Case in point: Recently a 1999 Honda Civic Si with hilariously low miles sold for close to $30k. This makes sense, it's a rare example of a hot car.

Later, someone put up a very low mile, mint example of a sport trim second gen Chevy Cavalier for $20k. As far as I know, this car still isn't sold yet. Yes, they likely have the nicest second gen Cav in the country, but it's the nicest example of a car people don't often think fondly of.

That's the place smarts are at and I'm not sure if time will ever cure those wounds. But heck, if the Yugo can appreciate in value thanks to hipsters, maybe we can too! :)

#47 ·
There's rare and then there's rare

You want rare? Back when electrics came in, they also tried compressed natural gas. That did not take off.
Right now, in California's Wine Country, there is a 2012 Honda compressed NG sedan. Maybe it is off-lease. Maybe it was a trade-in. I've never sold cars, but I think you'd have to buy a Rolls for the salesman to this white elephant of your hands.
It was $12k last week, $9.5 this week.

Not necessarily. Rarity does not automatically mean something will appreciate in value. It also has to be popular.

Case in point: Recently a 1999 Honda Civic Si with hilariously low miles sold for close to $30k. This makes sense, it's a rare example of a hot car.

Later, someone put up a very low mile, mint example of a sport trim second gen Chevy Cavalier for $20k. As far as I know, this car still isn't sold yet. Yes, they likely have the nicest second gen Cav in the country, but it's the nicest example of a car people don't often think fondly of.

That's the place smarts are at and I'm not sure if time will ever cure those wounds. But heck, if the Yugo can appreciate in value thanks to hipsters, maybe we can too! :)

Attachments

#36 ·
Aye, yes, maybe it will appreciate during my son’s generation or later, just maybe. Or if the US somehow gets really crowded and the streets narrow and the parking is horrendous...

Last night I looked at locally available stock, fondly. Wish I were in a position to buy one before the end. But hopefully in a couple of years it may be back, but likely not the same under Geely....

I’m for seeing some sort of weird looking SUV for some reason......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.