User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
spark plug socket came loose from extension

and I can't retrieve it from the spark plug well. I am out of ideas and need help. The extension won't lock on the socket firmly enough to extract it and I can't get the plug out.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated

Charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Garage
I would try & grab the socket with needle nose vice grips. If the spark plug won't come out, it is probably cross threaded.I wouldn't try to remove it has the threads may be damaged. Hope you are not trying to r/r the plugs on a hot engine? I use an extra long spark plug socket that extends beyond the top of the cam/valve cover.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,343 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Garage
find a strong magnet, or a pair of long nosed pliers with a long reach and grab the edge of the socket , or press the tips in the drive hole and open them up. Or if you have a piece of hose large enough to fit over the outside of the socket, you might be able to push it on and lift the socket up. ...

Just some ideas. I have a heavy duty magnet mounted on a spring for rescuing sockets and extensions that have fallen where they are not supposed to, has saved me a few times.

Next time a bit of electrical tape to secure the socket to the extension wouldn't hurt. I usually take the insert out of the socket, and always start the plug with a length of rubber hose. that way it won't turn hard enough to cross thread without the hose twisting. (when putting new plugs in)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
tried these ideas and it is too deep. I put a spot of fast cure epoxy on the end of an extension and put that down on top of the socket. We'll see in about 5 minutes if it worked

Charlie
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
If that did not work, take a metal coat hanger rod about a foot long, take a needle nose plier and make a small "j" in the end of the metal hanger rod, small enough to fit in the socket drive opening, hook the j under the opening and pull it out. Note if a foot of hanger rod is not long enough, make it long enough to suit the depth
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,343 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Garage
The rear opening for the cover is also in the way I bet.

How about taking some thinner wire and make a spring coil about 6 inches long and make it a smaller diameter than the socket, then push it over the socket and turn it so it threads down past the lower end of the socket. it might get small enough on the lower end to be able to pull it up from the bottom ??

maybe take an extension and grind down the end so the retaining ball sits lower in the socket, but not low enough to fall out. Might work but will most assuredly wreck the extension

Just throwing out ideas here..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 12:13 AM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisemon View Post
and I can't retrieve it from the spark plug well. I am out of ideas and need help. The extension won't lock on the socket firmly enough to extract it and I can't get the plug out.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated

Charlie
Will your extension secure enough so you can rotate the spark plug out? If the plug is loosened enough I would believe it should come out with the plug socket. The rubber boot in the plug socket is likely gumming up the works just enough to have mildly seized the plug socket to the plug. I would try a different assortment of extensions until one of them is just snug enough, and if that doesn't work I would use needle nose pliers to pick at the plug socket. Try lightly rotating in both directions, the opposite way, so you can also slightly undo any cross threading you may have done between the plug socket and the plug. Something will work. Keep trying.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 07:07 AM

Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,012 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
...lift the car until the wheel clears the ground...this will increase the allowable space you have to work with....

Jetfuel...BTDTFT....
Smart Bob likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 07:17 AM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Garage
Magnetic retriever for screws and such
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
A locking extension such as this would have prevented the problem in the first place.

Sears.com

It may still be possible to insert one of these into the socket and slip a screwdriver down alongside it and slide the lock button.

~toaster
Smart Bob likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode