Smart Car of America Forum banner

Tire pressure light is coming on

7K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  fsos 
#1 ·
I took the car to discount tire and they say the sensors are ok and we cleared it and set the pressure and cleared it drove it 10 minutes and it came back on the light stays on no blinking any ideas is there anyway to kill the light 2011 passion 451

#2 · (Edited)
How-do Lucky,

Here's my experience on my 2016. And it just happen in less than week. Last Friday I took the squirrel over to the local grease-balls up my way to have my new snow tires installed. On the way over the TPMS kicks on, I pulled over to check my tires and they looked ok so I reset it. It worked but then came on again, so I figured one tire was below or maybe multiple tires were below the preset pressure.

They installed my tires and said their equipment would not recognize my sensors. At which point I told them not to worry about it as I had to program it myself by the dash reset.
So I did and it worked. I wanted to take my new rubber out for a spin to see how they felt and sure enough it came back on. Only this time I get a message saying no sensors are installed.

But since I'm a student of following things to the T I start investigating and discover through Mercedes literature and find out there is a possibility I have radio interference with the electronics in the TPMS through my aux plug in the radio 3.5 jack.

Ok now we are talking my language cause now we are going to do a reset by the book.

#1 I unplug that jack

#2 I wait over 24 hrs for the tire pressure to be truly cold

#3 I get out my air gauge and mini compressor and fill all tires to correct spec.s (I added 1 1/2 lbs to compensate for cold air loss as I'm semi-mountain region and old man winter is just about here about 1 lb loss for every 10 degree drop)

#4 I then get in the car and start the engine, but did not drive it. I reset it and waited over 2 minutes before I shut it off. This morning I took the squirrel on an extended trip (144 miles round trip) to get a better feel for the new tires and wala it's all working good again. :D

I was never in a real panic about it because I knew the sensors where there and they were not malfunctioning in the realm that they had gone bad. But I will admit some of the screen messages it will give you can cause alarm.
Do it by the book before you let them bums con you into new sensors. As far your fuse goes even if I knew I would not tell you. Get you GoggleFu on.

Good luck to ya and may the force be with you.

1st Note: I was using that jack to plug my phone into to listen to my music files through the on-board speakers as we cannot get radio reception where I live

2nd Note: The Smarts are one of the few cars today were we can activate any new TPMS installed or reinstalled after a tire change without the need to go to the dealer to have it done or the tire shops that's why his equipment could not recognize it and why the computer said they were not installed

#5 · (Edited)
You have options Lucky, the cheapest a piece of black electrical tape to cover the light. But if you are in a State that does safety inspections find that fuse and pull it. So you know they are really a gimmick and they are not mandated that you have them although the car manufactures are mandated to install them. My State will not pass us if they see that light on.

If mine start acting up again I'll locate my fuse and pull it. They are throwaway items so if they die you have to buy new. Mine are $65 clams a piece plus installation, guess what, kiss my funky a--. :D One less thing to have to worry about and these Smarts will keep you up at night with all the other crap you have to worry about.

Don't depress, where there is a will there is a way.

#9 ·
I hear ya, one thing that was pointed out to me and it was mention to me because I live in a heavy snow belt area was having my winter tires swapped twice a year the on and off the rim scenario puts you in a position of having the sensors mess up.

That's why it took me months to figure out a plan of attack. So what I did was I went with the type of tire called 'all weather' (not to be confused with all season) which is a half snow up front and full snow in the rear and will run on them all year. The fronts are good for around 60k + and the rears around 20k. I don't drive that much anymore so they will rot out before they lose the tread although once I feel any deterioration in the rear I'll get another set.

I wanted to go studs in the rear but then my plan doesn't work because we can only run the studs early October to late April. But I do believe I'll be just fine with what I got because Nokian are some of the best tires made.

Do what you got to do Lucky to make yourself feel better, drop the coin if you have to. I'm sure you will rest easier then. And if it turns out it wasn't the sensors no doubt you will really be pissed. :eek:

#10 ·
reader

there is an instrument that can read the sensor data from outside the tire.with this you can pinpoint witch tmps is given you problems not all the tire stores have this instrumeny.

45 Years ago I'd think nothing of removing and rebuilding engines, gearboxes and diffs. Now I'm an old git without the eyesight, dexterity or flexibility to do much on a car beyond simple tasks.

#15 ·
After installing the new sensors thought that was it then 30 minutes later it started flashing for 30 seconds then stayed on but goes off when I first start it the next day and does this every time now I know why they call it smart car cause it knows how to piss me off this little piece of crap

#18 ·
453 is EASY.
First, get your tire pressures right at where you want them. (the 453 TPMS goes off with just 2 psi off the reset reference)
Then on the steering wheel, hit the ^ (above the OK).
On the instrument cluster, the top bar to the right is the default; scrolling up gets you to the bottom bar to the right (screen) and this says 'Reset Settings'.
Scroll to 'Tire Pressure Monitoring System'; Reset Values 'Yes', OK, then you are done.

Second bar down is your current trip info, Third bar down I use to track 'tank' mileage.
So besides the default first screen trip odometer, you can get in the habit of resetting the third screen down on fillup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.