Top 10 scariest car features; smart #8

14K views 75 replies 44 participants last post by  Mister_smart_LA 
#1 ·
Top 10 scariest car features

Originally published: January 11, 2011 3:10 PM
Updated: January 11, 2011 3:27 PM
By Cars.com

Top 10 scariest car features

Photo credit: AP Photo/Paul Sancya | A 2011 Smart Fortwo Cabriolet is shown at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Tuesday, Jan. 11, 2011

We like heated seats and high-end stereos as much as the next car shopper, but some of today's automotive features provoke more fright than delight. Take GM's left-hand steering-column stalk: Until recently, this stalk housed the cruise controls in the form of a tiny, three-position switch plus a secondary button. The same stalk also managed high-beam headlights, windshield wipers and turn signals. Twist something the wrong way and the car could turn into a five-passenger R2-D2.
With things like that in mind, we chose 10 not-so-delightful features in today's cars, from chairs that perform pneumatic jujitsu on your back to owner's manuals that could qualify for a summer reading list.

... #8 Smart Transmission The Smart ForTwo deserves its own category. The minicar's automated-manual transmission shifts gears with its own electronic clutch while the driver sees a traditional automatic setup. Drive the thing and you feel like you're on a bucking bronco. Once you're through first gear, the transmission stutters, shudders and very nearly takes a personal day before engaging second. The same thing happens on the way to third, and fourth, and fifth. Sorry, Smart, but this gearbox is anything but.

See less See more
#2 ·
And what I totally don't understand with continued reviews like this, why in hell couldn't Smart USA picked up on this and notified home office and significant change could of been made to the programming of latter year models. It wouldn't been that difficult and so many people would have been so much happier... :)

#3 ·
#6 ·
Agreed, wrap is ugly and perhaps may cause an accident.

As for the trans... I'm surprised so many of you still defend it. Why can't we all just agree its a sh***y transmission which should of been replaced by a CVT, automatic, or an actual manual trans a LONG time ago. In fact they should of realized this before deciding to bring it over to the US. I test drove one, and it was anything but fast and smooth.

#7 ·
I am not sure I understand your transmission comment BT...

Many, maybe even most, people in this forum do not have a problem with the transmission. It is not a case of drinking the special kool-ade...we really do not have any problem with it. Some folks are paddle shifters, others are full time D people. It meets our needs. either we have learned how to work with it or it has learned how to work with us.

It may not be what you want in a vehicle, and you are certainly entitled not only to your opinion but also to choose what car you purchase.

Please do not complain because we like something that you do not.

#8 ·
I am not sure I understand your transmission comment BT...

Many, maybe even most, people in this forum do not have a problem with the transmission. It is not a case of drinking the special kool-ade...we really do not have any problem with it. Some folks are paddle shifters, others are full time D people. It meets our needs. either we have learned how to work with it or it has learned how to work with us.

It may not be what you want in a vehicle, and you are certainly entitled not only to your opinion but also to choose what car you purchase.

Please do not complain because we like something that you do not.

You used the word WE, are you the spokesperson for US ??
If somebody wants to complain so be it....

#9 ·
Barney, you are absolutely correct on 2 counts...

1. I have no concerns with someone complaining and this is a good place to have those discussions.
2. I do not have the right/authority to speak for the group.

The focus of my message was related to the following:

"Why can't we all just agree its a sh***y transmission which should of been replaced by a CVT, automatic, or an actual manual trans a LONG time ago."

I was only suggesting the reason "we" can't all agree that the trans is bad is perhaps that "we" do not all feel that way. Maybe my words were too inclusive...I did not mean to offend anyone.

#10 ·
KBB Top cars under $20k

Top 10 scariest car features[/QUOTE]

In the interest of keeping this Fair & Balanced . . .

2009 smart fortwo

MSRP: $12,635

New Car Blue Book: $12,635

KBB says: "For drivers that place a premium on the look-at-me factor or drive and park in congested urban areas, smart s tiny two-seater delivers serious bang for the buck. The convertible version also starts under $18,000, making it the most affordable drop-top on the market."

Top cars under $20k (a link from the Top 10 Scariest Cars page)

#11 ·
LMAO! TIPMPAL! (think I peed my pants a little for those who don't know)

It really is true what they say about the shifting!

A local smart owner friend of ours was describing the shifting at a meet-and-greet last year. His description was more like "do I want to change? Yes, wait, no... wait yes, no, well maybe... well yeah ok shift........NOW!

#13 ·
The mindless defenders of any flaw in our cars have only contributed to Smart's aversion to change.

The trans is now improved a little with the #2 upgrade. But, compared with the other small cars: the Honda's, Mazda's,Toy's Etc, this trans just does not get it.

The Smart trans has been the single, most common deal killer for prospective buyers of this otherwise fine little car.

The market will speak. and the 2012 (if there even is one) will be a far different car from what we are are now driving. A2Jack

#16 ·
>I have learned, in 27,000 miles of driving my smart, how to keep it from bucking and pitching.

I learned in one day: I let the car shift (eg "D"), don't try to second guess it and get on with things. most of the time it's as smooth as silk. I think it holds first gear too long sometimes after the software update, and yes it can't predict the immediate future with 100% accuracy, but in traffic, etc. neither can I.
I think for reviewers who are flummoxed by the transmission, that it's a control freak thing.

#17 ·
Maybe I've been doing something wrong. :rolleyes: I never felt bucking and stalling, and whatever else people complain about, not even during the test drive. I have even tried to produce the effect with limited success. The ONLY complaint I could have about the transmission is the downshift from 2 to 1 when in D. If not timed correctly, it seems to be an eternity, but I always drive in manual and use the paddles now. I would expect better from car reviewers, they're supposed to know what they're doing, but apparently a lot of them don't know how to drive.

#21 ·
Unfortunately the masses don't seem to like this unique tranny. With that said and the general population migrating towards other brands. You will be left with what? A car with little trade value and a model that may not exit due to these quirks. Smart will lose this game. :rolleyes:

#22 ·
shifting

I do not agree it is a "SH**TY" transmission. I do how ever dislike the lack of a clutch pedal. I like my car so I deal with the minior issues.

I would however convert to a clutch pedal if it was aftermarket or factory installed....

Just my dimes worth (damned inflation anyway)....

#33 ·
I do not agree it is a "SH**TY" transmission. I do how ever dislike the lack of a clutch pedal. I like my car so I deal with the minior issues.

I would however convert to a clutch pedal if it was aftermarket or factory installed....

Just my dimes worth (damned inflation anyway)....
My wife gets confused enough WITHOUT the clutch. Shift... where? What? 1? hunh? (No, serisoly thats what she does) then starts crying. No bueno. The auto mode even freaks her out. She just wants to step on it and go.

#24 ·
I rather think of it like the tiny Christmas tree in the Charlie Brown Christmas special. It just needs some love :)

As a new owner (Sep 10), I can say I don't love it or hate it. If I am just going with the flow, I don't notice it, but if I need to accelerate to get into traffic, it seems to pick the worst times to shift. On the other hand, if the alternative was a true manual with a clutch, I'm loving the automated manual :)

One thing that I will agree with. Regardless of the opinions of owners, I think it and the minimal engine has fallen below the general public's perception of automobile technology. Mind you, even if the engine were 1.5L and the tranny a CVT or 2 shaft manual, like the Fiesta, I am not convinced people would flock in droves to it. I think they'd simply find fault with the size, the lack of 4 seats, etc. Truly, I think the design is fine, it made compromises in various areas, but overall, the US public are not prepared to make the same size/power/ride experience tradeoffs.

Jim

#25 ·
Could you imagine the sales in the US if the smart came in a true Manual with a clutch peddle ONLY. The US market would have tossed them back in the Atlantic ocean

This car would not have sold 1/2 of what it sold so far. And to have offered both the automated manual and redesigned the system completely to accommodate a clutch peddle would have been quite a costly challenge in such a small space

#28 ·
Could you imagine the sales in the US if the smart came in a true Manual with a clutch peddle ONLY. The US market would have tossed them back in the Atlantic ocean

This car would not have sold 1/2 of what it sold so far. And to have offered both the automated manual and redesigned the system completely to accommodate a clutch peddle would have been quite a costly challenge in such a small space
Time out, Sock Monkey ! What proof do you have that sales would have been that poor?
The car would have been considerably cheaper with a manual.
You could drive it to match your driving habits.
Diagnostics would be simpler & cheaper.
Sales actually could have been higher from less negative reviews.

Barney .... flingin' poo back at ya !! :D

#32 ·
I'm in nonuro's shoes too. Wife WILL NOT drive a manual and CAN NOT be taught. Her driving is bad enough with a tiny car and auto transmission.

Manual tranny ONLY I can see it not being accepted. If they could develop a manual transmission and lower the price on it maybe $300 that may even be something to help worldwide sales. You never know. (and yes I know how the rest of the world thinks :wink: - lived in close to a dozen countries :) )

#34 ·
I think what everybody needs to come to grips with is it’s a manual transmission. It doesn’t have a clutch pedal and the clutch operates automatically but it’s still a manual transmission. If you accelerate at a high rate with a manual transmission with a clutch pedal and quickly let off the gas and shove in the clutch it’s going to cause a jerking sensation. This is going to happen whether the clutch is operated with a pedal or automatically. Granted with a dual clutch system the shift will be fast like an automatic transmission but this is not a dual clutch transmission. Could I could shift a lot faster than this transmission? Yes but in normal driving it shifts as fast or faster (About one second from the time the gas lets off to the time it reapplies) than I would in normal driving. In my opinion smart has done a good job with a single clutch unit.

Ken

#35 ·
+1, especially for the ones like the 450 with the original shifter and 6 speed box. The simulation of torque converter creep with clutch slippage is worrying in the 451.

However, I despise CVTs and can assure you that with a CVT, in normal driving the gas smart would be at over 4000 RPM a lot of the time, except when accelerating, in which case it would most often be at 5000+ RPM until you reach your desired speed. They are just HORRIBLE!

The Mercedes B-Class comes either with a CVT or 5 speed manual. Guess which one mine has? The CVT is shabby: 4200 RPM is held constant when accelerating normally. Bleh.

#36 ·
For the folks who have not had the time or opportunity to find a way to drive the smart without gear changes causing the car to buck, please watch this video a smart center made, so you can see a sales guy driving a 2011 smart WITHOUT the car reacting dramatically on each shift, like we keep trying to tell people. It's not difficult, but cannot be mastered during one short test drive, which is all the reviewers ever do.
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f32/test-driving-2011-a-36459/

#37 ·
+1 (on CVTs) Those things are so rubbish. They rip the experience right out.

As far as a true manual goes, it wouldn't be good for America. 95% of the cars on our roads are Automatic/CVT. If smart came here with a manual they'd be fighting for that itty bitty 5%, which most of those are sportscars.

Reactions: BigWarpGuy
#38 ·
For most, a car is a tool, not a fun experience. We can all go on about how this is an enthusiast's car and all, but (for the brand to survive) it needs to sell to the "rest of the world" in the sort of numbers to pay the bills for the dealerships and distribution network. And, it isn't posting those kind of numbers.

In part, this is because the "rest of the world" wants the automatic transmission experience, like it or not. While they don't buy for that sort of reason, the truth is that this is just not the car for them. In order to bring in a car in a given size and at a given price point, compromises had to be made. The lighter/cheaper transmission was one of these, and the less than optimal suspension system was another.

It's not that the suspension system is "wrong", per se. This is a small car, with both a short wheelbase and limited "depth" for a suspension system. Short wheelbase cars are "choppy" because of the pitching that the short wheelbase "enables". And, when they do encounter a bump, there is less space for a suspension system that can soak up such bumps. In both cases, it's not that the car's design is wrong, it's that we expect more from such a car than the design is capable of delivering. A fine point, perhaps, but one that needs to be made.

Personally, I view the suspension as a bigger turn-off to your typical consumer. On a "good road", the smart rides as well as any other vehicle. Hit that first bump in the road, even at very slow speeds (our favorite is the very slight, 1" difference slope between a brand new road in our area and the parking lot of our brand new post office), and you feel the difference right then and there.

Every time I go to the post office box, I hit that bump. At that time, I wonder if the Billstein shocks that are on offer from Smart Madness would make any difference. Five hundred dollars is a lot to pay for a crapshoot at a smoother ride, and I always change my mind. But, then I hit that bump again...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.