post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
He's not mine
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,626 Times in 995 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Garage
Okay, so if it's probably the radiator fan bearings. It seems to have gotten worse, now it's not only noticeable during shutdown but sometimes also while running. I've been avoiding A/C use as much as possible to delay the inevitable repair. And wondering if I can delay 3-months.
Is it likely the fan will fail altogether in this period, leading to engine overheating?
I'm poor.

@jimvw57 , for years I have thought your solution was great! Not sure I'm up to the job myself though. Can you point me in the direction of an appropriate addon fan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
How much does a fan cost on ebay, assuming you'd checked?
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
He's not mine
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahi View Post
How much does a fan cost on ebay, assuming you'd checked?
That's why I was asking Jim to recommend one. eBay or elsewhere.
Or anyone's recommendation. But, he's already done this.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCC1701 For This Useful Post:
wahi (07-02-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,344 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Garage
Got mine from O'Rieleys Auto Parts, but you could probably get the same unit from just about any parts store. Hayden is a common brand..

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...ling+fan&pos=2
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
He's not mine
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvw57 View Post
Got mine from O'Rieleys Auto Parts, but you could probably get the same unit from just about any parts store. Hayden is a common brand..
Is the 675 cfm model sufficient? I see it is nearly one-inch thinner than the 1050 cfm model. The latter isn't much more expensive, just wondering if thickness is going to be an issue in this application.

I've got a question for anyone: If it's the radiator fan which is bad, why do I only hear the noise when the A/C is on, or hear it winding down when it's just been switched off? The tempeature is in the 90's, and after driving for an hour in this hellish heat, I still only hear it in relation to the A/C. Surely, the radiator fan must be running at least part-time in these conditions, but not a peep except in relation to AC operation.

Another thing I've noticed: purely curiosity, not necessarily diagnostic. I have been driving with the AC running on a lower setting without hearing the noise, and then had it "set off" when I hit a bumpy railroad crossing, or have gone around a corner at a sporty speed.

Last edited by NCC1701; 07-03-2019 at 10:24 AM.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Garage
Ok. The Harlem Edition is in the shop Radiator fan was determined to be bad. An initial quote of $5,700.00 was floated out there. I didn't blink, as that was for the full list of the things I had talked about having done including new headlights. So, I put out a heavy wish list and the Shop Manager countered with a see if your serious number. I didn't blink cause I'm not playing, he got the message and said the shop can get me where I want to be. Which is cross country to the Pacific Coast Highway. My own Parts list is 1263.44 plus 311.84 shipping so 1600.00 dollars for Radiator fan, radiator support, Radiator, Condenser, Front Bumper cover, front impact bar. and all related items. Some items may not be needed and some items may have been over looked. All my parts would have come from MBONLINEPARTS.COM. My parts list does not Include headlights which I will source myself and struts which will have to wait. I also am not including the Fluids and a/c recharge cost and of course Labor.

Big Note the item I actually must have, the radiator fan is less than 90 dollars. lol

Now I bought my smart with front end damage. Nursed it back together and drove it 20,000 miles. I am taking this opportunity to replace all that was damaged. And get rid of some of the shoe stings and wire clothes hangers holding some things in place lol.

We will just see how this plays out.
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,344 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Garage
I got a 'front end repair kit' form a place in EL Cajon Ca for $800 with the whole front end from the firewall forward. It even had the master cylinder reservoir and all the bolts!
Smart Bob and twcom like this.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvw57 View Post
I got a 'front end repair kit' form a place in EL Cajon Ca for $800 with the whole front end from the firewall forward. It even had the master cylinder reservoir and all the bolts!
I like that El Cajon Ca. place a lot and have gotten a few things from there. If I was doing this job myself I surely would have went with pre-owned parts. I just didn't have the off street work situation needed to put the car down like that time and space wise. So having to use a shop... new parts, all but possibly Headlights (I want a used Brabus set) keep any failure in the shops hands with no cause attributed to the affected part being used.

So Just in prayer for great mechanical repair results, so when the crucial rear work I want this same shop to do in the fall I will have confidence in them.

And my Smart will be sailing along the Pacific Coast Highway nice and Sweet. not to mention New York to the west coast and back.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
If you come by here let me know... Best of luck with the dealer repairs and have a safe drive!!!
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
If you come by here let me know... Best of luck with the dealer repairs and have a safe drive!!!
That drive will be in May 2020. Question for you is, do you run nice parts of the pacific coast highway? Also from San Diego to Seattle.... which way is the better drive from north to south or south to north? in fact I will start a thread with that very question.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode