Smart Car Forums

Smart Car Forums (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/)
-   Mid-West Region (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f40/)
-   -   2014 Midwest Rally? (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f40/2014-midwest-rally-50474/)

jwight 08-17-2013 09:04 AM

2014 Midwest Rally?

If I remember correctly some folks from Iowa mentioned hosting the next Midwest Rally when we were in Red Wing last year. Any updates? :)

Miss Mercedes 08-17-2013 10:56 AM

I'd propose two locations:

• Wisconsin Dells (if it ain't broke, don't fix it).

• Gurnee, IL.*

In regards to Gurnee:

• Six Flags theme park.
• Shopping mall.
• Many hotels.
• Drag racing 15 mins north.
• Stunning Lake Michigan beach 20 mins east in a state park (perfect for a large group). The beach also has its own resort.
• Campgrounds 20 mins both east/west. The east side ones are on Lake Michigan.
• Milwaukee 40 mins north.
• Chicago 40 mins to the south.
• smart center 30 mins to the south.
• Would be a local event for me so I could help plan.

In terms of driving roads, I'd have to do some researching...

jimvw57 08-18-2013 04:57 AM

It was decided a few years back to move the rally around a bit to make it easier for people to get to. Which is how it got to Red Wing. This year, the rally was skipped as we wanted to promote the National Event in Colorado (same as the Kansas City event years back)

During the Red Wing rally, a few member offered to host the event in Iowa, which I thought was a great idea! I believe they had an area picked out that had a lot of local features similar to the Dells.

Had to search my notes but I found it...
Planning is already underway for the 2014 Midwest Rally at the Amana Colonies in east central Iowa. I will provide more info later.

from GOT_MPG

justalittlesmart 08-25-2013 02:34 PM

I'd be in if this ends up happening.

nonuro 08-29-2013 11:16 AM

We'll be able to make this one for a change!

chieftmc 08-29-2013 12:03 PM

Hey Jack !!!

I might just be able to FINALLY make a rally :spots:

Miss Mercedes 08-29-2013 12:43 PM

I can do Iowa as well, I've never been there before and it is just one state over! :D

jefferios 08-29-2013 06:15 PM

Iowa has some nice spots, I have hosted a few there before and have a few good areas for places to drive and picnic. If its in the Dells and someone needs help hosting it in wither Iowa/WI let me know as I have some good ideas for Midwest Rally 3.

jwight 08-29-2013 08:05 PM

FWIW, (if Iowa doesn't work out) I'd prefer somewhere a little more "mid" in the Midwest - central Illinois, St. Louis as examples. :)

jkjahobbs 08-29-2013 08:25 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Iowa would be perfectplace for the Midwest Rally for Jim and I.