Ripped off by Louisville, KY business. Beware - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ripped off by Louisville, KY business. Beware

I hesitated posting this for some time giving them full benefit of the doubt, but I think the story should be told.

In regards to Mr. Scott Loeser, principle of Auto Customizing Inc. of 7681 Dixie Hwy in Louisville, KY (502) 935-1415‎

On the 12th of November, 2008 he purchased one Area 451 cruise control using a credit card. This transaction went fine.

On the 7th of April, 2009 he asked for another one but asked if a check would be alright and that he would cut and send it "immediately". I agreed since we had done business successfully before. Even though he said he would pay it immediately, I accepted that it might take a month to see it.

On the 7th of May, exactly one month later, he phoned looking for a 3rd unit. I said it couldn't be sent until payment was received for the last one. He expressed sincere-sounding surprise that I hadn't received the funds and put me on hold. He then said he thought that we sent it COD and I told him we've never shipped anything anywhere COD so he was mistaken. He then said not to worry and he would ensure a check be cut right away including the amount for the 3rd one and could I please send it by FedEx Priority directly to the nearby Smart Center because that's where he was doing the install. Because it was being shipped to the Smart Center I thought that lent credibility to it and agreed to ship.

No payment ever came. I followed up dozens of times. After the first few, I could never get in contact with Mr. Loeser again by phone or by email. Seeing no other recourse I enlisted the help of a collections agency, but Mr. Loeser has simply been ignoring them as well.

I can understand that this economy is bad and many businesses have gone under, but that isn't the case here. Auto Customizing Inc. is still operating and should be able to pay their debts.

I can understand if they weren't happy with my product, but I offered the choice to send it back without penalty. They had already sold them and the products were installed in customers' cars. They profited. I get stiffed.

It turns out, from discussions with the dealership, that all three units were installed at and/or by the dealership. I believe the dealership probably paid Auto Customizing Inc so I have no reason to fault the dealership in this. I believe it is simply a case of Mr. Loeser and/or Auto Customizing Inc. brazenly stealing 2 cruise controls plus expensive shipping costs from me.

So please beware.

Thank you.

- Steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,808 Times in 3,521 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Steven, bad business (pun intended.) Make a report to the Louisville Police Dept, Better Business Bureau* and Kentucky Attorney General as a start. This guy's guilty of fraud, theft, and no doubt some sort of interstate or international violations.

*This business is not registered with the Louisville BBB; they have given it an A rating, with no complaints in the past three years: http://www.bbb.org/louisville/busine...sville-ky-680/

Last edited by jwight; 09-19-2009 at 01:09 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I just now submitted a complaint to the BBB but I'm not sure if it is really applicable as the form they have is really geared toward the purchaser filling it out, not the seller (in other words I'm not sure BBB handles business-to-business complaints?). Worth a try though.

Police I'm sure would require I complain in person. I wouldn't even know how to begin with an Attorney General.

I'd love to get paid for the product obviously. Failing that though, I mostly just want people to know the name. I'm not sure if its pronounced "lowzer" or "loser"... pick whatever you think more appropriate. From that BBB info it looks like they also operate at 225 W Highway 131 Clarksville , IN 47130 and use the name "Auto Boat Upholstery Company" as well as "Auto Customizing" (both about as imaginative as they check scam).

If anyone local can get him to pay up I'll split it with you! Heck, make a video of it and you can have it all (well, after the 20% I'd owe the collection agency regardless of how it gets collected).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
man this sucks you as a seller and the BS you go about getting your money. My father in law has a precast Concrete company and has people owing (spelling) 10's of thousands of dollars from 2 yrs ago and some even more resent. a Collector has be contacted and the first one did nothing for a yr and the other one just got it.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder what's worse... the guy that stiffs me the money, or the collection agency that takes the 20% on easy collections and ignores the tougher ones.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Garage
I would put pressure on the Dealer to collect the past due charges from him. Afterall, they sold the cruise control units and had him install them on their premises. The dealer should go directly after their outside contractor by filing a police report, suing him in small claims court and then executing on the judgement to collect payment. I think you would also have a valid claim against the dealer, as well. I would put both of their names on the complaint if the dealer doesn't assist you in collecting this debt.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,808 Times in 3,521 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Since it sounds like two of the units were never paid for, are they "stolen goods" and as such can be recovered by the police (if they choose to pursue this matter?) Does that make the dealer and the end user guilty of accepting stolen goods?*

*not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Banned
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Bob View Post
I would put pressure on the Dealer to collect the past due charges from him. Afterall, they sold the cruise control units and had him install them on their premises. The dealer should go directly after their outside contractor by filing a police report, suing him in small claims court and then executing on the judgement to collect payment. I think you would also have a valid claim against the dealer, as well. I would put both of their names on the complaint if the dealer doesn't assist you in collecting this debt.

I feel for you. As a dealership employee (non smart center), we 'sublet' business each and every day. If one of the vendors we use is 'stiffing' their supplier, I can assure you that we would drop them in a heartbeat.

I agree with 'Smart Bob' in that you should contact the 'brand principle' at smart center Louisville and explain the situation. Tell them that you have no complaint with them but that you are simply informing them of the situation and ask if they have any additional phone numbers or contacts for this "Auto Customizing".

You might also contact one of the local TV stations, as they usually have reporters that love stories like this and will take a crew with cameras to the business. They'll do a story on this thief and tell others in the area to 'beware'.

As for the Attorney General, check the web....search for Kentucky Attorney Generals Office: Fraud Division. I'm sure they'll have an 'online form' for you to file.

Don't let up until you get your money OR this THIEF goes to jail.

Best of Luck!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 05:41 PM

Don't waste your time with the BBB. They are a joke.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all. I appreciate the support and suggestions.

I understand putting pressure on the dealer may sound logical, but obviously I have to be careful with that because I need to continue doing business with them and, as I said, I really have no reason to think they've done anything wrong and from their perspective are they even involved? Asking them to do my dirty work is asking too much I think. I did call them already and explained the situation just to inform them, and the manager there said I could expect a call from Mr. Loeser "shortly" - implying that he would call him on my behalf. That call to me never came. Perhaps I should politely follow up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode