post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 11:05 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1942 View Post
Just as an interesting note to the idea that a Smart only has 3 lug nuts (bolts), thus making it easier to steal. Most folk would not know that readily as the wheel covers on a Smart steely generally have 5 lug nuts shown on them and unless you were familiar with Smarts to begin with, the average person would not really know there were two less nuts beneath those wheel covers.
The thieves are not stealing steel wheels, only alloy wheels. They can't make enough money on steel wheels to make it worth their while. It's pretty obvious on an alloy wheel how many lug bolts there are. The thieves are specifically targeting smart cars because they've figured out how easy it is to steal wheels from them.
Quote:
In addition, the person would also have to be aware as to the exact size of the lug nuts (bolts) to even think to carry a 17mm socket and wrench along for removal. In other words, they have to pretty well be an educated Smart car wheel thief to begin with when you think about it. I am not so sure that the typical meth head Smart Car wheel thief is not being given a bit too much credit.
I'm definitely not giving them too much credit. Theft of smart car wheels is "a thing" here in the Rose City. smart cars are being targeted for wheel theft. Silver Mojito reported his wheels stolen just about a year ago and he lives directly across from a police station!

Quote:
That said, of the 5-6 Smart Cars located in my city of about 105,000 people, I'll have to plot out their location at the local WalMart parking lot so I can find them with my GPS when the time comes to strike with my tools in hand. It sure don't look like much profit in store for me with so few Smarts on hand locally though. :-)
Yep, if you only have 5-6 smart cars around you don't have much to worry about. But smart cars are ubiquitous here. For example, I just returned from my nightly stroll around the neighborhood. I counted 11 smart cars on my 1 hour walk. 6 were Car2Go's. Of the remaining 5, three were ED's. One was missing both of it's rear wheels....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 11:11 PM
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Bob View Post
I have been scrapping out defective aluminum ladders, old plumbing fixtures & valves, etc. When you take them to a scrap yard or recycling facility, they photograph the items and you have to show ID which they scan and you also have to provide a fingerprint before they will pay you. With brass, copper, and bronze, you have to provide a mailing address and they forward a check. This is to discourage thieves who have been taking apart fire hydrants, unearthing copper pipes taking brass valves located on our streets and within our city parks and schools. I don't know if this is a huge deterrent, but if one wanted to file a police report that your tire/wheel assemblies were stolen, it should be possible to go through the photographic records at the local recycling facilities and ID the thief.
We've had similar problems here. A neighbor came home from vacation to find his copper gutters and downspouts missing. I wish the scraps yards here were held more accountable as you describe.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 07:57 AM
10Year+ Supporting Member
SCOA Club

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Garage
I hope most of the wheel thieves in your area are smart enough to also carry a 15mm socket in addition to the 17mm. Stock smart wheel bolts are 15mm. The aftermarket ones are 17mm. Just a bit of help to make it easier on the local street thugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 09:30 AM
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983JZR3W View Post
I hope most of the wheel thieves in your area are smart enough to also carry a 15mm socket in addition to the 17mm. Stock smart wheel bolts are 15mm. The aftermarket ones are 17mm. Just a bit of help to make it easier on the local street thugs.
I intentionally gave the wrong socket size to misdirect potential thieves. Thanks for correcting me!
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Just make sure your insurance will cover the Loss, and sleep easy...
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...4120255AAeLmzv

Happened to my Vette once... New Rims & New Tires was a WIN WIN...<:-))
Miss Mercedes likes this.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 04:08 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabus007 View Post
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...4120255AAeLmzv

Happened to my Vette once... New Rims & New Tires was a WIN WIN...<:-))
Unfortunately that is easy for us who have an extra car to get us around while one is being fixed, or in this case getting replacement wheels....
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 07:48 PM
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabus007 View Post
I have $1000 deductible on my comprehensive insurance so $35 for wheel locks helps me sleep easy...
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983JZR3W View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaraman View Post
I intentionally gave the wrong socket size to misdirect potential thieves. Thanks for correcting me!

I was gonna say something, as I remember the inconvenience of having to go to the store to buy a 15mm deep socket, then decided to just keep quiet. I think you can still edit it out, (and so will I)!
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 03:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
It's a no brainer to spend $35 to purchase a set on 4 lock lugs. At least you'll keep honest and stupid people from stealing your wheels.

Anyone who really wants your stuff, will find a way. Many will just move on to the next car if you make it difficult for them. Hopefully, they won't key your car for outsmarting them.
See what I did...out smart. OK...OK.

I use to work in a fitness center in a strip mall in Columbia, SC. Some man walked in and asked if anyone had a Z28 Camero? I ran outside and 4 black guys were stealing my wheels in broad daylight. They got the lugs off, but not my tires. The cops even knew who they were, but couldn't arrest them because they didn't see them do anything. Bad people are so brazen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20170206_050610.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	26057  
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,344 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Garage
It amazes me that thieves will go to all the trouble to grab a set of tires and rims off a smart when that is the only car they will fit. I doubt any pawn shop would even give you anything for them so unless you know someone who could use them and would buy stolen goods, a waste of time. But if they are foolish enough to take them, they would still be gone, so I guess locks are not a bad idea.

I guess I am lucky to be in an area where tires and rims are in a low demand, haven't lost any yet. I always thought the locks would just slow them down a bit anyhow. Had a foolish thief try to stake the AM radio out of my Corvair convert, Door was unlocked and he still cut the top to get in, radio would only fit a corvair, and I walked up as he was stuck under the dash trying to remove it. He had a little trouble getting away with a broken leg and we found a bunch of stereos in the trunk of his car (it was at a voc-tech school) and a few of my classmates got their radios back. When the police showed up, he was begging to be arrested. Since the school was on private property, He said he really couldn't arrest him as the owner of the property didn't file a complaint.....When the officer asked how he got hurt, we said he fell down... A lot. After they took him away, and a few radios for evidence, his car mysteriously got stripped and disappeared. Rule #1 , don't piss off a bunch of post high school auto mechanics (to be)

Of course that would never happen nowdays. the thief would probably make money on us if he got a scratch from breaking in a car
jwight, Smart Bob and OliverB like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode