Real world value of the diesel in Canada - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Real world value of the diesel in Canada

My attention was drawn to Auto Trader recently when I noted some diesel Smart's ranging from 3-5k, some a little higher, looking for a good standby vehicle to use when my ED just wont cut it (usually last minute trips, end up having to take my wife's truck).

I have heard both good and bad about the diesel fortwo. I cannot seem to put my finger on the best model year and what major problems may lie ahead, but I am really liking the fuel economy. This would be mostly back road driving, speed limits under 80km/h, perhaps 80-100km each trip, maybe a few times a month. It would be comforting to know that I have a backup vehicle and of course extend the life of my ED which just rolled 41k (By the way, doing quite good, no issues so far).

Any suggestions from experience, especially in Canada, where I understand certain diesel models (or model years) were not permitted because they did not get TC approval? I know for a fact that the quality of diesel here is not as great as in Europe, but overall, would I be looking down the barrel of a loaded gun?

Thanks, Happy New Year!
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
If you do not work on your own cars, I would not recommend a smart as a backup vehicle. For a backup vehicle I would recommend the gas smart over the diesel. The newest diesels are now nearly 10 years old. Go to clubsmartcar and check out the maintenance section to get an idea of the regular and constant work these cars typically need.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 08:28 PM

Thanked 1,073 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Garage
As a backup vehicle I would recommend something more practical than a smart. Aside from that bit of (probably unwanted) advice, a diesel smart can be good if you are a DIY person and take lots of precautions when buying to ensure you get a good one. They definitely have a lot more character than any other smarts that followed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike T For This Useful Post:

Tags
canada , caveats , diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode