Another Trailer to haul your SmartCar - Page 3 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought a 14' Aluma trailer to carry my Subaru behind my Roadtred Class B van. It has a double axle. In answer to the question about getting into campsites. I generally did not have any problems. I preferred pull throughs for obvious reasons but when confronted with a back in, I would take the car off the trailer and back the trailer and Roadtrek into the spot. It really wasn't too much of a problem. I never saw it as a real hassle. Having the car was nice. I was traveling with two dogs and being able to put them into the car when I wanted some space to myself was nice. I am now looking at trailering or towing a Smart Car. I haven't decided which to do yet but it's nice to know that Aluma has a trailer for me for that car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just checking to see if you're still using your Aluma trailer to tow your Smart Car. I'm seriously considering one myself to pull our Smart behind our 24' Chinook Glacier. How did your brakes work out? Any issues or problems?
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartTrailer View Post
Take a look at the Smart Trailer USA.

Richard
Your link does not work !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmichael777 View Post
Just checking to see if you're still using your Aluma trailer to tow your Smart Car. I'm seriously considering one myself to pull our Smart behind our 24' Chinook Glacier. How did your brakes work out? Any issues or problems?
I'm not him, but got the inspiration for the Aluma from that post. Seattle to Glacier National Park last month. Aluma 6810-H BT. Some upgrades since including new tires for our 2009 Smart, heavy-duty black plastic tool box mounted on the bed of the Aluma behind the rock guard along with a type1 hitch on the Smart to tow the Aluma after we arrive at a destination (Zodiac) (2" ball adaptor). We tow with our 2013 Class B Airstream Interstate (3500 Mercedes Sprinter). Two week outing scheduled in August..Montana, east. The video, Seattle Smarty heads for Glacier, link below. Jeff (BTW, nice to be able to easily backup (camera) for one night campground stopovers -- big deal compared to no-back-up-allowed towing 4 down).

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 08:02 PM

Thanks for sharing the video...I especially appreciated seeing the Smart pull up on the stock Aluma aluminum ramp. I was concerned about how it would handle the car's weight. Also, did you install brakes on the trailer or not? I also like the addition of the rock guard...probably worth the extra money. Our motor home is only 24' so I wouldn't think campsite storage of a small trailer would be too much of a hassle, but I would appreciate your first-hand thoughts and experience in the matter.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 08:42 PM

A further word about Smart Car trailers. I have noticed lots of posts and re-posts concerning Smart Car trailers and thought I would pass along some of the information I have gleaned from my on-line research. First off, the Smart Trailer USA link that still seems to make the rounds is to a company that no longer exists. From what I can gather the owner retired and the business shuttered. Further research indicated that the owner contracted with Texas Trailers of Gainsville, FL to fabricate his Smart Trailers. I called them and was told they would still fabricate one (or a close approximation) if people were interested. Also, I was finally able to track down the Smart Car trailer pictured in Post #18...it was manufactured by Kendon Trailers in CA. I confirmed that they no longer manufacture this trailer. In my research have only found two confirmed/current fabricators of trailers made specifically for Smart Cars...both are in Canada: Express Custom Trailers in Parksville, British Columbia and Pod-ium Trailers in Valcourt, Quebec. There are other trailers out there that will no doubt work fine (I'm considering an Alumna myself) and there may be more companies making trailers designed exclusively for Smart Cars, but I can't seem to locate them in 'the real world'...and there are lots of pictures and posts, but most are dead ends. If anyone else out there is aware of other sou A further word about Smart Car trailers. I have noticed lots of posts and re-posts concerning Smart Car trailers and thought I would pass along some of the information I have gleaned from my on-line research. First off, the Smart Trailer USA link that still seems to make the rounds is to a company that no longer exists. From what I can gather the owner retired and the business shuttered. Further research indicated that the owner contracted with Texas Trailers of Gainsville, FL to fabricate his Smart Trailers. I called them and was told they would still fabricate one (or a close approximation) if people were interested. Also, I was finally able to track down the Smart Car trailer pictured in Post #18...it was manufactured by Kenton Trailers in CA. I confirmed that they no longer manufacture this trailer. I have only found two current fabricators of trailers made exclusively for Smart Cars...both in Canada: Express Custom Trailers in Parksville, British Columbia and Pod-ium Trailers in Valcourt, Quebec. There are other trailers out there that will no doubt work fine (I'm considering an Alumna myself) and there may be more companies making trailers designed exclusively for Smart Cars...despite all the pictures and posts I've seen in-line (most of which are from the UK or Europe)...most of what I've tracked down in the US appears to be either dead ends, deceased companies or fabrications that have no real retail existence. If anyone else out there is aware of other sources and/or sites in the U.S. I'd appreciate hearing about them.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 05:03 AM

This is what I get for using my phone to compose such a long post. The trailer I referenced in Post #18 was manufactured by Kendon Trailers...and it's Aluma (not Alumna, of course). I hope this post spares some folks the frustration of searching for trailers that no longer exist.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmichael777 View Post
Thanks for sharing the video...I especially appreciated seeing the Smart pull up on the stock Aluma aluminum ramp. I was concerned about how it would handle the car's weight. Also, did you install brakes on the trailer or not? I also like the addition of the rock guard...probably worth the extra money. Our motor home is only 24' so I wouldn't think campsite storage of a small trailer would be too much of a hassle, but I would appreciate your first-hand thoughts and experience in the matter.
Bi-fold ramp (optional) is sturdy indeed and manages uneven terrain well. Helps to have the rear struts for added support.

Had the electric brakes installed at the factory. State-to-state towing rules vary so much it's worth it. Canadian rules vary from province to province as well.

Our Sprinter is 23'. Campground maneuverability with the trailer is easy. Moves around easily with pull handle. Backs easily into standard length state campground sites as well (perfect for overnight stops when you don't want to unload the Smart). Pull-trough sites are better yet.

Much more detailed video to come after my trip next month with my friend and his 22' Chinook. Picture is with the tool box in place. Notice how you can adjust the ramp to position it straight up or at an angle for rear clearance. That allows the box to fit on the flat behind the rock guard. Beware..precise box measurements needed!

smart-car-small.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to airstreamtoad For This Useful Post:
oldgeezer (12-26-2017)
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 06:30 PM

Trailering our 2012 on an Aluma 6810H trailer as well. Near zero wear on the car (just minimal suspension movement), bigger tires on the trailer handle potholes better, and I can back up without unhooking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2030.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	589.0 KB
ID:	38753  
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 06:20 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Not to trailer a smart but I've had an Aluma tilting trailer for a couple of years and the quality really shows. It is easy to pull, light weight, and will never rust. Without a load the torsion axle rides great and it is light years better than a steel one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode