User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Battery disconnect

New owner, getting Blue Ox baseplate and wiring harness installed next Wednesday. Will also ask to have a battery disconnect switch but where to mount it? Do members have such a switch and is it ossicle to mount inside the glove compartment. Thinking this might be good spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
The most convenient location for the switch is here:

as it has the shortest run to the battery:

I'm using the Hella 87181 battery disconnect switch (spare keys are: Hella 87185). If I had thought about it when I had the switch installed I would have chosen a switch (there are several different styles) that is less likely to get caught on a pant leg or dress. More pictures here.

There is even a way to have the battery disconnect switch located inside the car and still have the doors locked.
Brabus007 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to ManchVegas For This Useful Post:
jwight (05-06-2014)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
wow, thanks for the pix and tips. Have base plate and wiring harness installed next week at Camping World near Indy. He fully they will know about the wiring and how to,install the disconnect switch.

First reaction, really, switch the negative pole. Would have never thought of that.

Thanks again

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 08:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinibill View Post
wow, thanks for the pix and tips. Have base plate and wiring harness installed next week at Camping World near Indy. He fully they will know about the wiring and how to,install the disconnect switch.

First reaction, really, switch the negative pole. Would have never thought of that.

Thanks again

Bill
Putting the switch on the negative is considered safer. Also If you haven't already, I recommend viewing all of the pics in the link in my above post and read the comments that I added to them.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gotsma...7631099316816/

If you install a tail light kit and locate the receptacle below the front license plate then you'll need to reinforce it from behind. Also note the issue of running the diode wiring between the rear quarter panels. It should run inside the car and not through the engine bay. This is commented in the pictures.
The Following User Says Thank You to ManchVegas For This Useful Post:
jwight (05-07-2014)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Battery disconnect switch

I ended up mounting my batt disc switch a little higher than manchvegas did. Rather than hanging vertical, mine is horizontal under the bottom of the dash. I also ordered wireless magnetic lights and made brackets for them to sit on. Mounted to the tailgate so you can see them through the back glass. They work great.

Hardybob
2104 white brabus
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 06:30 AM

Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,519 Posts
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
I don't remember who, but, SOMEONE on this board mounted their's under the bonnet so they could lock the car and disconnect the battery from the outside
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 03:45 PM

Garage
Here's another way to lock the car for flat towing with an interior-installed battery disconnect switch. It requires 2 FOBs:

1) sit in the car's driver seat, with both doors rear gate/window closed.
2) lock the doors then open the driver-side door.
3) Follow your flat towing set up instructions - except stop when you get to using the battery disconnect switch.
4) with the 2nd FOB in hand, press the lock button. It will lock the doors - BUT - because the driver door is open it will then unlock the door after about a half second. This means that you have about a half second after pressing the lock button on the 2nd FOB to disconnect the battery using the battery disconnect switch.
5) complete your flat towing set up instructions
6) exit the car and close the driver door

If done right the car will be locked.

Why the 2nd FOB? From what I can tell, when the FOB is in the ignition switch the lock button on it is disabled, but the lock button on the FOB in your hand will still work.

Notes:
a) After locking the doors the FOB won't function after the battery is disconnected. You will need a key or a key blank to manually unlock the driver door to reenter the car.
b) If you reenter the car after the battery is disconnected, you will not be able to lock the door afterwards. You will need to perform the "After Towing" instructions and then repeat steps 1 through 6.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I'm a little slow with this one (and most electrical issues). How would you unlock the doors with the key fob if the battery is disconnected?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 10:17 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,992 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
There is a key hole on the driver's door that will unlock the door mechanically. The key is inserted, turned and the door will unlock only. You can not lock the door with the key.
Unless it has been removed, there is a plastic insert in the door lock that has to be removed before you can insert the key. It is basically a decorative insert that sticks in the lock and covers the face of the metal lock so that it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb in the middle of the all black, plastic door handle.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What length of cable did you have to get to do this installation?

Tags
flat tow , switch , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode