User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Towing Capacity, Wiring Harness, and Trailer Opinions

Hi all,

Let me start by saying that I have scoured the forums and the web trying to find answers to my questions, but have only found a lot of vague references. So, I'm not posting these questions without having tried to find the answers first.

First off, what is the "unofficial" towing capacity of a 451? I know officially it is "0," but a lot of people do it anyways. I seemed to have seen references to about 600 lbs. Is that accurate?

Second, which wiring harness would I need for wiring my smart so that I could connect it to a trailer? etrailer sells a harness but doesn't list the model. I'm trying to get everything from Amazon (including the hitch) so that I don't have to pay for shipping. I will do the installation myself (with the assistance of my auto-savvy father). Also, where can I find the wiring diagram? I found a link to a PDF in an old post, but the link didn't work anymore.

Third, I'm looking for opinions on this trailer as far as pulling it with a smart: Wheelchair & Scooter Trailers. It will be loaded with up to 325 lbs. I'll be using it first to transport an ice cream cart (I'm starting an Italian Ice business and trading in my car for something that can haul a cart isn't financially smart right now given that I owe about what my car is worth due to depreciation) and later it will probably be used to transport a wheelchair or scooter (muscular dystrophy in the family). Does anyone see any issues with this trailer? Any feedback would be appreciated. I'd also be open to suggestions for other trailers, but this is what I found that would fit my needs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist86 View Post

Third, I'm looking for opinions on this trailer as far as pulling it with a smart: Wheelchair & Scooter Trailers. It will be loaded with up to 325 lbs. I'll be using it first to transport an ice cream cart (I'm starting an Italian Ice business and trading in my car for something that can haul a cart isn't financially smart right now given that I owe about what my car is worth due to depreciation) and later it will probably be used to transport a wheelchair or scooter (muscular dystrophy in the family). Does anyone see any issues with this trailer? Any feedback would be appreciated. I'd also be open to suggestions for other trailers, but this is what I found that would fit my needs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike, I'm sure others with actual smart car trailer towing experience will chime in soon. The trailer in your link is pretty impressive but pretty "spendy" to me. You may want to explore other alternatives such as those offered by Harbor Freight Utility Trailers & Utility Trailer Tires . With the difference in price, you can do an awful lot of custom fabrication to get just what you want.

Regards,

Dan
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 04:01 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Curt hitch bolts right on.
check http://www.curtmfg.com for the exact model

I have seen U-haul do a buy AND INSTALL of their rebranded curt hitch for $200?

You can also search ebay for the curt hitch.

600 lbs is a good rule of thumb.

Euro sites say 500 kilos (about 1100 lbs) MAX.

Last edited by wrumbarger; 01-27-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 04:13 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Garage
1100# total with a 100# hitch weight

2) curt hitch

3) get a standard plug from a auto parts store or amazon.
The Following User Says Thank You to SmartDigger For This Useful Post:
cpear451 (06-20-2015)
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I know that particular trailer is expensive and there are other cheaper ones, but I don't really have the know how to customize it to my needs and paying for a custom trailer would be more expensive I think.

As for the wiring, it seems to be different from vehicle to vehicle. I've seen all sorts of different ones and I don't know which is correct for the smart fortwo. I already know about the actual hitch and where to find that, I'm just concerned with the wiring.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
<<<<<<<<<<< It'll tow this
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 07:48 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Garage
I used a standard non powered flat 4 wire plug. I do have led lights on the trailers I tow.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Even if you don't have the skills or know-how to customize a Harbor Freight or similar trailer I'd still seriously consider getting one if I were you. You could probably hire a handy man to mount a piece of CDX plywood on the 40" by 48" Harbor Freight trailer & make a ramp for you & you would still have a lot less invested in it than the cost of the trailer you're considering. For longevity I would also suggest adding LED lights to any trailer you get if it doesn't already have them. It'll save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb...res-90153.html

Look for a sale or a 20% off coupon & you can save quite a bit of money. I've got one of the 4' x 8' trailers & that thing has taken loads of abuse & paid for itself many times over.

Last edited by STAPUFT; 01-27-2012 at 07:19 AM.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Perhaps my dad could help me out with that. He's reconstructing a 50 year-old truck, finishing I trailer shouldn't be too big of a deal. I just need to put down the platform and something to strap the cart to. I'll have to price it out.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I replaced some of the bolts in the corners of mine with 3/8" eye-bolts. That made it easy to fasten tie-down straps to whatever I wanted to haul. I had a friend weld the eyes on the bolts shut so there was no chance of them coming open but it was probably overkill. If this doesn't make sense to you I imagine your dad would be able to explain it.

Tags
towing , trailer , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode