Towing Capacity, Wiring Harness, and Trailer Opinions - Page 4 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 09:20 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Garage
An update to my Jan 2012 entry, I ended up getting my trailer from Harbor Freight, 12 inch tires instead of the 8 inch ones. It came in 3 boxes that fit in my smart and I assembled it in my back yard. (can I say the biggest thing I carried in my car was my trailer?) I bought the led light kit and replaced the incandescent set that came with the trailer. I used 20% off coupons for them both since I bought them at different times. I used the wiring harness that came with the trailer and male & female spade lugs to connect to the car wiring when towing and store the harness in the tailgate when not towing. I used 3M splices to tap into the vehicle wiring.

I've taken the trailer to OTD twice, a distance of 550 miles one way for me, with camping gear and a granddaughter as passenger (not in the trailer). BTW, installed a Curt hitch on the car myself in my driveway. Locally I've carried quite a load of topsoil & mulch in the trailer as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to ArthurRW For This Useful Post:
wahi (12-15-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 07:04 AM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank for input on trailer & Hitch... I am handicap and use a Scooter trailer to transport my scooter. I'm looking to purchase a 2009 Smart Car and I am trying to find out if it would support (tow) my trailer. What I need to know is the Smart Car GTW (Gross Towing Weight). BTW, how long have you had your Smart Car... any cons and did it come with a spare tire?
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 07:28 AM

Thanks for input... surprise tho. So far, the Smart Car GTW I found is 1653lbs (Not Verified). Also, I've seen pictures of a Smart Car towing a trailer like mine. I may be in error with the trailer's weight... The 900lbs might be the trailer's carrying weight. I had ask someone get the information off the trailer... I should have done it myself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 09:23 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,818 Times in 3,529 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Although people do tow with the smart and have for years, the US distributor does not recommend towing with the smart. YMMV. Somebody on SCoA has carried a generic scooter inside their smart; can't remember who at the moment.

Found it: https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...tml#post518069
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 11:15 AM
OTD3 lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Sheureka hasn't been seen for a while, but she used to pull a small trailer for her mobility scooter.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 11:53 AM

Thanks all... Update: Trailer weighs 300lbs and can carry a max of 600lbs. The total G.T.W.R is 900lbs. All I need to do is find out how much my scooter weighs to see if I'm in business. BUT, but I have yet another issue... I just found out the Smart Car doesn't come with a spare! I don't like driving without one and I am not pleased with what I seen so far "To Add A Spare" Like to hear how some of you guys solved this matter
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 12:02 PM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,818 Times in 3,529 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Some people have a spare, some don't. Have never needed one with three smart so far.

https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...ght=spare+tire
The Following User Says Thank You to jwight For This Useful Post:
Acqua (12-15-2013)
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 05:07 PM

I have 2013 Smart Passion and I tow
them with my motorhome.
Follow all procedure before and everything work perfect, but when
unplug from MH and follow instructions from the book they won't
start, repeat both thing ( plug/unplag)
and start.
Sometimes doing that few times.
Please help me out, may be I'm missing something.
All helps greatly appreciated.
Thank you all.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 02:38 PM

Towing a trailer with the Smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by twist86 View Post
Hi all,

Let me start by saying that I have scoured the forums and the web trying to find answers to my questions, but have only found a lot of vague references. So, I'm not posting these questions without having tried to find the answers first.

First off, what is the "unofficial" towing capacity of a 451? I know officially it is "0," but a lot of people do it anyways. I seemed to have seen references to about 600 lbs. Is that accurate?

Second, which wiring harness would I need for wiring my smart so that I could connect it to a trailer? etrailer sells a harness but doesn't list the model. I'm trying to get everything from Amazon (including the hitch) so that I don't have to pay for shipping. I will do the installation myself (with the assistance of my auto-savvy father). Also, where can I find the wiring diagram? I found a link to a PDF in an old post, but the link didn't work anymore.

Third, I'm looking for opinions on this trailer as far as pulling it with a smart: Wheelchair & Scooter Trailers. It will be loaded with up to 325 lbs. I'll be using it first to transport an ice cream cart (I'm starting an Italian Ice business and trading in my car for something that can haul a cart isn't financially smart right now given that I owe about what my car is worth due to depreciation) and later it will probably be used to transport a wheelchair or scooter (muscular dystrophy in the family). Does anyone see any issues with this trailer? Any feedback would be appreciated. I'd also be open to suggestions for other trailers, but this is what I found that would fit my needs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Call a U-haul dealer and ask them about the cost of the towbar they rent/sell for the Smart. Back a few years ago they did offer a towable trailer and hitch for the Smart. I never went for the rig, so I can only offer you what I discovered, FWIW.
If they rent you the rig, they will also do the wiring and connector for you. From the top of my head, the number 75-100 pounds downforce on the tow bar and a max load on this trailer axle of 750# is about it. Your results may vary.
If your trailer comes with brakes, the control box will also need adjusting so it brakes the trailer a bit harder than the car brakes haul down the car, or else the trailer may try to pass your car during heavy braking. One of those tiny folding trailers would be OK.
Keep in mind that a trailer this small may not have brakes, so you will have to change your driving style drastically (SLOW DOWN!). If U-haul offers an E-brake for your trailer, you will need a control box under the dash of your car, using a different wiring harness.
IMPORTANT: Balance the load over the trailer axle so that 10% of the load weight pushes down on the tow bar. Ask U-haul to check this for you.

Regards, Gyro

Tags
towing , trailer , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode