Uhaul Auto Transport? - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Uhaul Auto Transport?

I need to tow my NEW passion back home from the dealer. I haven't been able to find a weekday driver to go over with me to Indianapolis to get my new car, so I'm going to have to tow it.

Uhaul doesn't have any dollies, but they do have an Auto Transport trailer in stock that will tow all four wheels off the ground. It isn't a flatbed, it has rails for wheels/tires.

The trailer rails at the widest are 74 inches and 42 at the narrowest, and I know the smart is some 61 inches wide. The big question is the inner wheel dimensions on the smart. It looks like with low profile cars (or super short wheelbase cars) that I might have to SHIM the wheels with some 2 x 10s at the front of the transport, too.

Anyone already use a Uhaul Auto Transport to move their fortwo? Anyone know the inner dimensions of the wheels? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: The inner edge of the rails on the transport are about 42 inches apart, so the smart SHOULD fit on there without problem.

Last edited by Docthrock; 04-29-2008 at 06:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 06:53 AM
Closed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this a new US 451? If so, "smart 1" service should be towing a disbled smart to the dealer for you for free. 1-(800) 762-7887.

N.B. I miss read "back from." I haven't had it clarified if smart 1 includes return towing.

Last edited by Old smart; 04-24-2008 at 07:12 AM. Reason: N.B.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 07:06 AM
smart happens here!

Why did you need a tow "back from the dealer?" Isn't it running...or you just don't want to drive it? (as Old Smart pointed out- if you need to tow to the dealer, that should be covered.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've rented trailers from UHaul to transport restoration cars and they work fine.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
On the width . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docthrock View Post
I need to tow my passion back from the dealer. Uhaul doesn't have any dollies, but they do have an Auto Transport trailer in stock that will tow all four wheels off the ground. It isn't a flatbed, it has rails for wheels/tires.

The trailer rails at the widest are 79 inches, and I know the smart is some 61 inches wide. The big question is the inner rail dimensions on the trailer and the inner wheel dimensions on the smart.

Anyone already use a Uhaul Auto Transport to move their fortwo? Anyone know the inner dimensions of the wheels? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Last summer I used a UHaul car trailer for my son's Scion xA which is 66.7 inches wide and it fit fine width-wise on the trailer. I seem to recall that it had fairly wide rails for the car to drive up on (seem to recall some using one for golf carts which are even more narrow than a smart) so you should be OK. I also think that if you contact your local UHaul center that they could do a quick measurement for you. BTW, the trailer worked great for us - towed it behind a Uhaul truck from Chicago to NH without any issues.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 08:34 AM
Closed

The deciding factor will probably be the inner track between the front wheels - the distance between the sidewalls of the front tires.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 08:55 AM

I have used U-Haul trailers a number of times with good service. While I have towed small cars nothing as small as my Smart. Like other have said, go down to the local U-Haul and measure the width.....I have had a problem with U-Haul trailers too narrow so they might work for a Smart. Do you just WANT to tow it back? I kinda understand...I thought about that when I bought mine as it was a almost 4 hour drive...
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

I am going to pick up my NEW passion, which is why I need a trailer. It's quite a distance to the dealership from my home and can't find a weekday driver to go over with me. But there is a Uhaul up the street from my office, and my pickup truck has a tow hitch. Sure will be nice to stop driving my 14 mpg Chevy!

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like I'm going to be OK. Just hate to rent a trailer, go 100 miles and find it won't fit.

So if anyone has actually used a Uhaul Auto Carrier for a new smart in the US, and/or knows the dimensions between the wheels, I would appreciate the feedback.

I'll try to clarify my first post....

Last edited by Docthrock; 04-24-2008 at 09:20 AM.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 09:24 AM
smart happens here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docthrock View Post
I am going to pick up my NEW passion, which is why I need a trailer. It's quite a distance to the dealership from my home and can't find a weekday driver to go over with me..
ahhh, I see! That's too bad - it would be much more fun to drive it home, then to tow it home!

(Any volunteers here to help a fellow Hoosier out?)
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, if someone wants to go for a ride from Clinton or Terre Haute to Indy and back, I'd be happy to take volunteers. My Dad really wanted to come, but he has a service guy coming to his house, been scheduled for like 6 weeks, and he's not breaking that commitment come hell or highwater. All the buds gotta work for a living, too. Guess I could wait until Saturday (instead of Friday) to get it, then there would be lots of volunteers. But heck, I'm tired of waiting. I got it bad!

Towing it home does kind of suck, but the trailer is only $50. And it will save others some hassle, and/or me a trip all the way back. And you can just bet that I'll put plenty of miles on it soon as I get it back.

Uhaul Transports? Dimensions? Anyone? Bueller?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode