NYC Driving - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
NYC Driving

I guess you can say Im a little concerned with driving such a small and slow car around NYC...

How are you guys managing driving the Smart around NYC?

NYC has always been a pretty aggressive place to drive does it seem worse with a slower/smaller car?

How is the car handling potholes, bumps and such?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Small ,yes. Slow , not really. Just drive it like you stole it. As far as potholes and such, NYC aint the only place that got them bad this year. You acn actually drive around most of them easily.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
it's not slow, it's "appropriately paced". I haven't had any problems I wouldn't have had in any other car. aggressive drivers will target anyone they encounter. eg. the FDR is for lunatics, so expect the same.

sensible techniques wrt following distances, merging, etc. and a good lithium drip should do the trick. if Audi drivers try to engage you in conversation, just tell them to go back to charm school and ignore them.

I do use DRL and think that helps at least to get them to see me since my car is black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

I would say everything is relative, I'm just use to driving vehicles that are considerably faster than the average... Certainly looking forward to the test drive..

I just read an older post about parking being cheaper in NYC, can anyone tell me how much cheaper?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:21 PM

As for the slow acceleration, shift manually and you will find plenty of get up and go. The limiter is set for 90 and you can easily hit 60 in 3rd gear. As for the parking, garages run by Meyers, Icon, Central, GGMC, the lots at JFK, La Guardia and Newark all offer 50% off. For some of the airports you need to download a coupon on line prior to going to the airport. As others have said, just good luck on the potholes. They are not limited to the city, there are a lot of us becoming very good at steering around them. Let the fun begin
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi176715 View Post
As for the slow acceleration, shift manually and you will find plenty of get up and go. The limiter is set for 90 and you can easily hit 60 in 3rd gear. As for the parking, garages run by Meyers, Icon, Central, GGMC, the lots at JFK, La Guardia and Newark all offer 50% off. For some of the airports you need to download a coupon on line prior to going to the airport. As others have said, just good luck on the potholes. They are not limited to the city, there are a lot of us becoming very good at steering around them. Let the fun begin
50% - wow, thats pretty awesome... I got in touch with Roslyn Smart and they have a cabrio for us to test drive on Saturday...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTT View Post
50% - wow, thats pretty awesome... I got in touch with Roslyn Smart and they have a cabrio for us to test drive on Saturday...
alot of weaving in and out avoiding potholes. that's just the reality of it. but i love my smart. i am in city, outerboroughs, and burbs. everywhere you go now there will be road conditions from our seasons weather.

who did you schedule with at roslyn? evan? if so tell evan (ray withthe tattoos and the black smart) sent you. maybe he will throw in some free stuff.

good luck.

Last edited by raybones; 02-16-2011 at 04:33 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
NYC Parking

John from Staten Island posted this on a different site.
http://www.iconparkin...

Icon Parking garages offer a discount to Smart Car owners. Click on above links to read about it and fill out application. Last week I payed $6.50 to park for 14 hours. My friends payed $39.00 to park there cars for the same amount of time.

You can also tell Evan Tom OBrien says hi.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgobie50 View Post
John from Staten Island posted this on a different site.
http://www.iconparkin...

Icon Parking garages offer a discount to Smart Car owners. Click on above links to read about it and fill out application. Last week I payed $6.50 to park for 14 hours. My friends payed $39.00 to park there cars for the same amount of time.

You can also tell Evan Tom OBrien says hi.
I was told to talk with Evan but I think we are going to rent it for 2 days drive it to and from work and see how I like it instead of going to the dealer..

I am really liking these parking benefits as well as the fun factor of the convertible.. Hopefully all goes well with the rental.. I will keep you all updated on how it goes..

Thanks again for all the help!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Can you imagine how easy Manhattan traffic would be if more people drove a smart?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode