Engine idling rough - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Engine idling rough

Anyone's 453 run a bit rough at idle? I bought the car brand new and it wasn't this rough for the first 5k miles. I have tried different gas, etc asll the same. I took it to Mercedes of Sacramento and they said 2 things. 1 they have never even had a newer smart in there and 2 it was normal. If I rev it to like 1200 RPM's it is fine and smooth but just sitting at a light its definitely rumbling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Smartcar View Post
Anyone's 453 run a bit rough at idle? I bought the car brand new and it wasn't this rough for the first 5k miles. I have tried different gas, etc asll the same. I took it to Mercedes of Sacramento and they said 2 things. 1 they have never even had a newer smart in there and 2 it was normal. If I rev it to like 1200 RPM's it is fine and smooth but just sitting at a light its definitely rumbling.
Well, also have to keep in mind that it's only a 3-cylinder. Smarts do tend to idle on the odd side in my experience. I guess you could say less like butter, more like oatmeal with a touch too much milk. Just a bit lumpy.

On another note, getting your 453 straight-piped only makes it more obvious. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had the same concern with a new 453 (smart fortwo), and like yourself, my local dealer also assured me that it was normal for 3-cylinder engine in smarts. There's loads of articles on Internet explaining the reasons for vibration/imbalance on straight-three engines, and a bit of roughness/vibration at idle definitely seems to be normal. Hopefully you'll get used to it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Our 453 idles smoothly . I have the Lorinser powerpack . I’m guessing that may have something to do with it . When I first installed the powerpack I had an electrical interference issue with the car running smoothly at idle. I had to re route some of the powerpack wires to the top of the stock harness to avoid the problem .. since I did that , the idle has been super smooth .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode