How to remove outside panel on rear hatch? - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
How to remove outside panel on rear hatch?

as the title states... does anyone know how to go about removing the outer panel on the rear hatch on a 453? Keep thinking about getting a backup camera to hook up to my android head unit... but that's the one thing holding me back. I see two screws on either side of the hatch when i open it up that go into the rear panel, but i can't imagine those would be the ONLY screws holding that panel on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 09:36 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,811 Times in 3,523 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
It looks like you 453 owners are going to have to lead the way with DIY fixes; none of the usual websites seem to have any info on the 453. Would be nice if Smart Madness made some instructional videos.....
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 12:34 PM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,648 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
I guess that comes with the territory of the 453 petrol being dead, little enthusiasm to make tech documents. If I weren't so clumsy I'd make some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwight View Post
It looks like you 453 owners are going to have to lead the way with DIY fixes; none of the usual websites seem to have any info on the 453. Would be nice if Smart Madness made some instructional videos.....
At this point... not sure we can count on Smart Madness for much of anything, besides the same old cosmetic accessories and ECU tunes that have been on the site for about a year now with no new products since. Was hoping to see an intake mod of some sort from them (be it a cold air intake or just a silicon intake tube replacement)... but have already been told that while they DID have prototypes that they were testing, they have decided not to put anything into production due to there being little demand for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to ElementalDragon For This Useful Post:
jwight (07-29-2017)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Well... bit of an update, and looking for any potential pointers anyone might have on this?

I've discovered that there are in fact only 8 screws that hold the rear panel onto the tailgate. The 4 that i had previously mentioned (2 on either side of the tailgate, clearly visible when it's opened), and 4 running along the top edge of the tailgate. Three of those 4 are visible when the tailgate storage lid is opened, but one of them seems to be hiding behind the plastic trim piece that surrounds the tailgate release handle. I, for the life of me, cannot figure out how the plastic piece in the middle that covers the lift glass latch is held in place, because i need to remove that in order to remove the piece surrounding the tailgate release handle. Anyone know how to pop that piece off?

It's kinda funny, too, cause i've seen a video online where someone reviewing the 453 showed him closing the tailgate by grabbing that piece, and it just popped right off in his hand. Yet there I am, tugging at it, pushing down on one side, pulling up on the other.... nothing seems to be successful in releasing that hunk of plastic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode