• 3 Post By skoone68

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Speaker replacement in a 2016 Smart 453

All-

I found that after a few days of enjoying the new Kenwood stereo installation, the stock factory speakers were abysmal. I decided to return to my local car stereo installation shop today and have them install two new Kenwood KFCX173 speakers. Again, what a HUGE improvement!

To cut to the chase, for those interested in swapping out their own speakers, I didn't get to observe the entire installation process, but I can tell you this. The inside door panel is not the one you want to remove. It is the outside panel. The installer also had to remove part of the outer front panels over the wheels in order to get the door panels off. The Kenwood speakers I chose are 6 1/2" size. The installer removed the factory speakers (that in itself was a challenge as they are blocked by metal mounting arms) and then he completely cut out and tossed the speaker cone. This left a plastic mounting ring. He took the Kenwood speaker and mounted it in that ring and then reinstalled it back in the door. The total process took around two hours and much of that was working with the speakers themselves.

Bottom line is that I'm glad I didn't have to do the job. It was well above my pay grade to even think about it! Unfortunately, I didn't get see how the door panels came off. It may have been something similar to other Smart door panels as the guys didn't seem too concerned about it. Removing the old speaker and installing the new one without damaging it was clearly the more delicate procedure.

Hope this helps others at least a little bit.

-Steve
Smart Bob, steelman and Gerkin like this.

Last edited by skoone68; 04-22-2016 at 06:01 PM. Reason: more bad typing errors...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
This is sort of sad. The 451was a snap to do from the inside. You just cut the old speaker grills and out yank the OEM speakers. Then trim the plastic ring to fit the 6.5" speaker. Mark and drill new holes in the ring, plug the wires in and screw the speaker back in and snap the grills on. Took me about 1/2 hour a side. Did two 451 speaker swaps, the second one I spent about 1/2 the time.

I am afraid, we are going to need a step by step 'How Too' of a 453 door speaker swap...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Interesting. The audio system in our '16 Passion is great, and no improvement needed.

S u b R o s a

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode