Smart Car of America Forum banner

Smarting in the desert or what it's like to be dirty smart

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  dbwill 
#1 ·
I tested my smart in the Big Bend National Park this weekend. Took overnight pack gear for a solo trip. The 80 mph interstate and 75 mph highways coupled with the wind kept gas mileage around 38. Topped off in Marathon and slowed down to park speed limit of 45 amph and found my mileage increased to 47 mpg through Study Butte.

I inbibed in some of the best Sotol I've ever taste. $11.00 a bottle in Ojinaga. Much smoother than Tequila. After watching the sunset on the Chisos, I drove up to what I now call the smart camp at Sawmill Canyon. Here's the lat/long to Google: 29°21'27.98"N 103°37'59.55"W. It's about 5 miles up a caliche road. The smart rode between the washboards on the smooth tracks. I could weave around rocks and rills, and arroyo bottoms that are tight in my pickup are easy to negotiate.

I took a half-moon walk up an arroyo to my 20-acres, watched some satellites and returned to camp. The next morning I awoke early to see my now ecru smart (caliche dust) and drove back though Alpine and Coyanosa. Strong winds whipped the car back to Midland but I ran the A/C, dropping the mileage back to 42 mpg.

Owning a smart means what was $200 is now $45 and affordable.

That's smart.

See less See more
#2 ·
I tested my smart in the Big Bend National Park this weekend. Took overnight pack gear for a solo trip. The 80 mph interstate and 75 mph highways coupled with the wind kept gas mileage around 38. Topped off in Marathon and slowed down to park speed limit of 45 amph and found my mileage increased to 47 mpg through Study Butte.
That's smart.
Don't have my smart yet but had an interesting experience this weekend also. Drove from Santa Fe to Oklahoma City. Wind was from the west at at least 30mph steady and gusting higher.

My car normally gets 27 to 28 mpg at 75 to 80 mph on interstate. Friday I got 36mpg. Love those tail winds

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.