Smart Car of America Forum banner

Mini spare tire/wheel combo

21K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  smark 
#1 ·
Does anybody know if there is available a "mini spare tire/ wheel combo for the 453? I'm really not comfortable driving without a proper spare but I'm quite aware of space constraints in vehicle. Really appreciate any help.

#2 ·
The chances of a flat are low , it's not worth the carry of an extra tire in a vehicle with such low storage . Your best logical alternative is to get a small plug kit , and utilize the oem pressure kit stowed in the car . With the low pressure warning system , a slow leak will give you an alert , and plenty of time to remedy either on the road or at a service station . The chances are low for a catastrophic blowout . Risk assement wins .

#7 · (Edited)
When packing our 451 for a "road trip" I sometimes question the potential impact of sharing the interior with a loose spare tire in an accident?

We do have AAA but with virtually no one carrying the proper wheels/tires in stock, especially in rural areas, I wedge a spare flat behind the driver and go...

Note - tires can "age out" before they wear out, 9 years no tire events.

#6 ·
Since the 453 uses a more common four bolt lug pattern you could potentially pick up a donut spare in a junkyard. Of course test to fit just to be sure, but most 4 lug donuts should do the trick. Then, assuming you can move one of the seats a few inches forward, store that donut between the seat and the firewall ledge!

Be aware that esp won't like the donut so much, but sure beats waiting for a tow truck!

Reactions: smart rrs
#20 ·
#23 ·
Would the minispare from a gen 1 Honda Insight work?

It has the 4x100 bolt pattern and the standard size wheels/tires for the gen 1 Insight were:

165/65R14 5.5JJx14 ET45 4x100 M12 x 1.5 56.1

(from wheel-size.com)

and 453 (for smaller of front/back):

165/65R15 81T 5Jx15 ET32 4x100 M12 x 1.5

We aren't always driving near any help...

Thanks - if anyone knows the answer!

(from wheel-size.com)

#27 ·
Hello again,

I have been doing some work to try to find an "off the shelf mini-spare" as I would like an easy solution for a small spare (vs. full size front wheel and tire) and it seems others do as well.

I find that for the Nissan Versa it looks like a match.

For Nissan Versa:

Compact Spare Donut
15x4 125/70/15

Nissan Versa wheel-size.com specs are:

185/65R15
5.5Jx15 ET40
4x100
Center Bore: 60.1
Thread: M12 x 1.25

Our thread pitch is 1.5 vs. 1.25 - which should make no difference wrt the spare. Correct?

Would this compact spare work properly? Is there a problem because the offset is different somewhat?

Thoughts?

If this is good, then there are quite a few of these currently on eBay.

#28 · (Edited)
In the UK we can get the 453 spacesaver tyre easy as it is available on Ebay UK, and also UK tyre shops. I am sure you should be able to get a spacesaver in the USA/Canada. I have bought mine from Ebay UK for £100, picture links below....Max speed of spacesaver is 50MPH and is temporary use only.
https://i.imgur.com/5rfvIUs.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/sqBTq8S.jpg

Installation, here are some pictures of my Fortwo, note it is RHD, so seats are other way around :D
Spacesaver wedged in behind the passenger seat, I bought a cover off Ebay to make it look neat...

Here is a view looking down to the handbrake between the seats...

VERY IMPORTANT...ensure for safety, that the spacesaver is tied down with nylon rope to the end of the seat runners....

Passenger Seat belt buckle just lies on the spacesaver....

Note that with this installation, the boot (trunk) is not affected and has full space available. The passenger seat will be slightly more forward than the drivers seat due to the spacesaver behind (about two or three inches). My wheel brace and jack is in a sports bag behind the drivers seat and is tied down. It also has scissors to cut the nylon rope when needed. Finally the spacesaver has to sit on top of a 2 inch high bump which is under the carpet, to remain flush with seat back and the small rear bulkhead. This bump is part of the metal floor pan used to allow the passenger side handbrake cable to exit underneath the cabin and go to the rear wheel. It is not affected by the spacesaver on top of the bump. Cheers Colin.