Awe, this is making me miss my MR2 that I had in high school.
Loved the first and second generation, but wasn't impressed with the 3rd gen.
The youtube video says it's a 2.0 liter twin turbo which I believe is exclusive to the second generation with 200 horsepower!! The 3rd generation they put a watered down engine in it and raised the price. Then again Toyota started doing stuff that never made sense, like coming out with a Supra that cost around $50k back in the late 1990s or was it early 2000s. Then they wondered why there weren't any buyers. I owned a 300Z, that car was great, but I think I liked the MR2 more, just because the 300Z was a money pit and a small penis car, so I sold it for a CBR so that my best friend could break all four of his limbs after I loaned it to him (we use to ride motocross, but he never could ride, just glad he didn't have anything serious...helmet saved his life for sure). The MR2 was more friendly on your wallet and just as fun.
NEWAY...SE V EN dirty little questions...
1. Did they add the roll cage for added support or did they have to do something to compromise the OEM chassis thus needing the roll cage. I like the look of the roll cage and safety factor, but I think I'd prefer to have it look more like a sleeper and have the space. I'd rather it look as factory as possible from anybody looking into the vehicle for various reasons, but mainly attracting unwanted attention unless I want it, etc.
2. Why is the rum gone? I mean, why is the dash missing? It can't add that much weight....or did they just not put the dash back together yet? Is it possible to keep your airbags. I sorta like the idea of a pillow for my face, neck & chest. ahhhh
3. How much less expensive is this to do than the hackwackbusa? Spelling is off, but that suzuki GSX R motorcycle engine thing is really pricey and looks more intense and looks more like it takes over the entire rear of your Smart and I never can figure out the different versions of those hackwacky engines and the power output of each...seems they start at 160 and go up to 500HP?...certainly nice, no doubt...I just haven't found a good source for info for the smart on any of this stuff, even the sites that sell it. Which sucks because I'm interested in doing it, not this year but probably next year.
4. Has anybody done this MR2 conversion with a 451? In North America?
5. I love how quiet this thing purrs. I suppose that GSX R motorcycle engine could purr if they put the right muffler on it. Free flowing exhausts don't really add enough power for me to think the Harley sounds are worth it.
6. Are there other engines out there other than the Suzuki GSXR & MR2 engine that people have done or considered? Depending on how much this MR2 engine costs to do would determine how much of a bargain that is compared to the $4k turbo kit (uninstall price) is that I think gets 117hp which of course uses the Smart's tranny. This MR2 is it puts a real manual shifter in the car. I like that.
7. Is it just me or do these racer seats look like oversized baby seats? If I need a seat to hold me in place then I'm probably going too fast in Stepford.