LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Banned
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Notice to smart centers Everywhere RE: Orphans

after being in the car business for 25+ years, i understand the smart centers need for making $$ on their orphans. i also, as a buyer, understand that i don't want to pay for a bunch of options that i either have no need for or simply DO NOT WANT. what do we do?

here's a suggestion: why not offer different 'packages' to your "orphan customers"? for lets say $1500, you get to choose 3 items from your list of 'add-ons'. for $2500, you can choose 5 items and so on.....

this way YOU, the dealer, can make some much needed GP and the customer can pick and choose what THEY want, not what has already been added to their orphan. sounds like a win-win situation to me.

just a thought. though i've not heard of this, maybe someone is already doing it and to anyone who is, i applaud you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 05:47 PM

They (the dealership) probably just want to get the car rolled off the lot that day, rather than waiting. Also, most people probably wouldn't pay their rip off prices, and if they have the stuff already installed then the customer has to buy it that way. Not like that is a "good" thing for them to be doing but... yeah...

Just my $0.02...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine723 View Post
They (the dealership) probably just want to get the car rolled off the lot that day, rather than waiting. Also, most people probably wouldn't pay their rip off prices, and if they have the stuff already installed then the customer has to buy it that way. Not like that is a "good" thing for them to be doing but... yeah...

Just my $0.02...
i understand.....BUT if they're adding that stuff anyway, it's generally NOT going to 'roll off the lot that day'. somethings, like LoJack, tinted windows, etched glass, etc, have to be done by sending out the car. while some vendors come to the dealership to do it, they can't be all working on the car at the same time.

so what if it takes an extra day or two. i would think a Happy Customer would be worth that?

Just my $0.02 also!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster55 View Post
i understand.....BUT if they're adding that stuff anyway, it's generally NOT going to 'roll off the lot that day'. somethings, like LoJack, tinted windows, etched glass, etc, have to be done by sending out the car. while some vendors come to the dealership to do it, they can't be all working on the car at the same time.

so what if it takes an extra day or two. i would think a Happy Customer would be worth that?

Just my $0.02 also!

I meant that if the customer had the choice, they'd probably not pay a ton of money for the dealership mods... but if the dealership has them installed already, then the person has to buy them. You're correct, the Lojack, tint, etc takes more than a day, but they probably wouldn't make the extra $ from the mods if it wasn't already installed.

Remember, smart centers are still "Stealerships", and want to make as much $ as possible. You could think of the modded orphans as "show room cars", for example at Fletcher Jones they always have cars with a Lorinser kit, dvd player, etc.

I agree with you that a happy customer is what you should strive for...

post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine723 View Post

Remember, smart centers are still "Stealerships", and want to make as much $ as possible.
working for a DEALERship, i hate that term. as for making $$, isn't that what businesses are SUPPOSE to do?

i really resent those of you who think the dealership is just suppose to GIVE you your car, service work, parts, etc. can i walk into YOUR business and have you perform a service for me and make NOTHING? everyone has the idea that a new car dealer makes tons of money off a new car. NOT ANY MORE! in case you haven't noticed, dealers are dropping like flies.

keep in mind that 'generally' dealerships survive economic times like these from profits in the Parts and Service Departments. and in case you hadn't noticed, there ARE NO PARTS AND SERVICE DEPARTMENTS at your smart dealer. they don't have anything to do. no cars on the road=no service customers, which=NO PROFIT!

ok, i'm stepping down now. said my piece. have a nice day!
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 07:59 PM

So charging $3000 for something that SHOULD be $1000 is OK?

post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
after being in the car business for 25+ years, i understand the smart centers need for making $$ on their orphans. i also, as a buyer, understand that i don't want to pay for a bunch of options that i either have no need for or simply DO NOT WANT. what do we do?

here's a suggestion: why not offer different 'packages' to your "orphan customers"? for lets say $1500, you get to choose 3 items from your list of 'add-ons'. for $2500, you can choose 5 items and so on.....

this way YOU, the dealer, can make some much needed GP and the customer can pick and choose what THEY want, not what has already been added to their orphan. sounds like a win-win situation to me.

just a thought. though i've not heard of this, maybe someone is already doing it and to anyone who is, i applaud you.
The Dealers could categorize the packages as follows:
-Patient Adoptee $
-Desperate Adoptee $$
-Off the Street Sucka $$$
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:42 AM

Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,519 Posts
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphan-Beggar View Post
The Dealers could categorize the packages as follows:
-Patient Adoptee $
-Desperate Adoptee $$
-Off the Street Sucka $$$
Orphan-Beggar, you just made my day Thanks !

post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Quote:
working for a DEALERship, i hate that term. as for making $$, isn't that what businesses are SUPPOSE to do?

i really resent those of you who think the dealership is just suppose to GIVE you your car, service work, parts, etc. can i walk into YOUR business and have you perform a service for me and make NOTHING? everyone has the idea that a new car dealer makes tons of money off a new car. NOT ANY MORE! in case you haven't noticed, dealers are dropping like flies.

keep in mind that 'generally' dealerships survive economic times like these from profits in the Parts and Service Departments. and in case you hadn't noticed, there ARE NO PARTS AND SERVICE DEPARTMENTS at your smart dealer. they don't have anything to do. no cars on the road=no service customers, which=NO PROFIT!

ok, i'm stepping down now. said my piece. have a nice day!
the dealerships aren't making much of a profit on the original sale to an original "owner". like all dealerships, their "profit center" is the service department. smart centers have service and parts departments, walk around the side, they'll be a lot of mercedes and porshes in there.
call the dealer where you got your smart, they have "smart trained" technicians and stock smart parts in the parts department.

i've worked at a dealership in a parts department. parts is parts and there's money in them parts!
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 12:41 PM

I think the original point is quite valid. It allows the dealer to make an above sticker mark up/profit, but at the same time allows a willing buyer to have some say in what he is getting for his added expense. The car would be sold in a day or two, the dealer would get rid of the orphan and make an extra 1-2k in profit, and the buyer would not be buying items he has no use for at all. And considering the distance between most dealers and the customer, I would think realistically that most transactions take several days to finalize anyway.

Tags
add-ons , dealer fees , dealers , dealerships

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode