"smart doesn't offer loaners" - Page 2 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The first time I called for service on my smart for a check engine light back in Feb. they said I could not get a rental. I ended driving home and back then next morning with the check engine light on. I just waited for them to reset the light.

About a month or 2, I brought my car in for the shifter getting stuck and they said I could get a rental car. Since I did not buy the car from that dealer, I had to pay $10 for the rental car. It was a MB C300 and cost me like $12 in gas to go about 25 miles roundtrip to work.

So, I think it boils down to the dealer. YMMV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 10:24 AM
banned

You go taken by the dealer... It's a factory warranty... unless you signed an affidavit stating otherwise (why the heck would you??) you're entitled to a loaner if the car stays overnight at the dealer...

I know I might be having a bad day and my tolerance for lack of common sense is alittle low.... but dealers can't rewrite the warranty and the loaner language was in the warranty. If you paid for a rental or loaner then you got taken...
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Some dealers provide a loaner most do not. Some wash your car for you, most don't. Getting the job I paid for done right the first time is my priority at any shop. Be happy
karl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
SCOA Club

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Here in Dallas, they said they would offer you a loner but there are two things that stop it. 1) they like to put you in something similar and 2)they arent going to put you in a $60K car while your $15K car is being worked on.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
SCOA Club

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrooks View Post
The first time I called for service on my smart for a check engine light back in Feb. they said I could not get a rental. I ended driving home and back then next morning with the check engine light on. I just waited for them to reset the light.

About a month or 2, I brought my car in for the shifter getting stuck and they said I could get a rental car. Since I did not buy the car from that dealer, I had to pay $10 for the rental car. It was a MB C300 and cost me like $12 in gas to go about 25 miles roundtrip to work.

So, I think it boils down to the dealer. YMMV
Kinda dumb, but $10 is worth it.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 11:12 AM
banned

I stand corrected... I just got home and was able to review the warranty... the language I was referring to was actually in the extended warranty... it provides a complimentary rental or loaner if the car is held overnight.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 10:50 AM

loaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
Maybe in the future there will be some orphans not sold, that those who don't have loaners can have 1 or 2. Or there must be more involved with handing out loaners. These dealerships have multiple areas, selling a huge range of vehicles. New, used and preowned BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevy, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, Honda, Hummer, Hyundai, Infiniti, Jeep, Lexus, Maybach, Mercedes, Mercedes Benz, Pontiac, Porsche.... plus the rest of the alphabet.
Oh well, I hope I don't have too many visits to the mechanics for repairs. I will find out Monday how long the air bag light will really take. Fortunatley I need to travel 3 hrs for work in the same direction and the dealership is 2/3 on the way, so I don't end up losing a days pay!

I should invent a folding alluminum trailer, drop the smartie off, fold the trailer and put it in the back volvo. Or some kind of compressing boat trailer...........

Please contact me directly and I will be happy to help you out in this circumstance. Mark Hoch , GM , Smart Center Lynnfield. 781-596-9700
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 08:53 AM

My dealer, smart center Germantown provides loaner vehicles. I'm not sure if they are smarts or MBs, but it was one of the things we talked about at the point of sale.

They also offer the free wash whenever you want - not just at service time (I think Tyson's does this as well), although it is not something I will take advantage of.

I have to say, every time I have been up there, I have been treated the same as anyone else there, and I appreciate that. My next full sized car will have a 3 pointed star on the hood, and I know where I am buying it from already.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 09:06 AM
SCOA Club

This must be a dealer decision as to wherther they offer loaners or not. When I bought my orphan in July of this year, I remember the dealer in Edison NJ saying they do not offer loaners for overnight service because they don't carry Smarts as spares for loaning. So I guess when I need service that requires an overnight, I either call Enterprise or I have to find a cheap and sleezy by the hour motel room near the service shop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode