Smart Car of America Forum banner

smart EV Dealers

16K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Optimist 
#1 ·
Hello All,

While our smartusa.com dealer locator tool undergoes changes as our dealer network shifts, I am now able to provide the full list of remaining sales dealers who can sell the 453 electric. Please note this list is accurate as of 10/4/2017, and all dealers not listed that previously sold gasoline 453s will stay with the brand as service/warranty centers.

• smart Center Laguna Niguel - Laguna Niguel, CA
  • smart Center West Covina - West Covina, CA
  • smart Center San Diego - San Diego, CA
  • smart Center San Francisco - San Francisco, CA
  • smart Center Westminster - Westminster, CO
  • smart Center Coral Gables - Coral Gables, FL
  • smart Center Cutler Bay - Cutler Bay, FL
  • smart Center Naples - Naples, FL
  • smart Center Buckhead - Atlanta, GA
  • smart Center Honolulu - Honolulu, HI
  • smart Center Lincolnwood - Lincolnwood, IL
  • Tafel Motors Inc - Louisville, KY
  • smart Center Lynnfield - Lynnfield, MA
  • smart Center Boston - Somerville, MA
  • Euro Motorcars - Bethesda, MD
  • Prime Motor Cars - Scarborough, ME
  • Benzel-Busch smart Center - Englewood, NJ
  • Ray Catena smart Center Edison - Edison, NJ
  • smart Center Manhattan - New York, NY
  • smart Center Buffalo - Williamsville, NY
  • smart Center Easton - Columbus, OH
  • smart Center Portland - Portland, OR
  • smart Center San Juan - Carolina, PR
  • smart Center Charleston - Charleston, SC
  • smart Center Knoxville - Knoxville, TN
  • smart Center Sugar Land - Sugar Land, TX
  • Tysinger Motor Co. - Hampton, VA

If you're currently shopping for a 453 smart electric, be sure to work with these fantastic dealer partners!

-Keith

See less See more
#6 ·
You have found "several" smart ED's for $5,000 "in the area" with the other vehicle going for a couple to a few grand more, but the other dealer is "5 minutes away" and you hope to "take the cheaper route" and justify the cars being nearly the same because they "get close to the same mileage."

Or, you're willing to pay a few grand more because the other dealer is 5 minutes away while there are several smart ED's "in the area" all because of the convenience 5 minutes away brings? :crying:

#7 ·
Sorry for the confusion.
Nearest Smart dealer is 2-3 hours away depending on traffic.
I have found 2-3 Smart ED's for under 5K, locally to me.
I don't want to have to travel that far for dealer services.

So that leaves moving up to a Nissan Leaf at 7-8K.
I have a Nissan dealer 5 mins from me.
Plenty of Leafs in my area, and more than one dealer.
Ironically, the Smart has a better battery than the leaf.

I hope that clear up the confusion.

I just may give up the search till spring,
I don't like the cold.

Poe

#8 ·
Closest smart dealerships to me now. West, East, and North East. Colorado, Illinois and Kentucky, are all over 500-550 miles away.

Chevy Bolt, 2 miles, BMW i3’s, 7 miles, Nissan Leaf 3 miles. Tesla 10 miles. Charging stations, all over the metro area too. Sad for smart.

#9 ·
Maintenance is super easy to diy, and parts can be purchased online. The only problem is if a part breaks. Repairs would be difficult, but if you do some research you may find an independent mechanic that is knowledgeable. Just remember, other than the battery, motor, and controller. Most of the parts on the car are the same as a gas powered car, and there's plenty of mechanics that will work on an ICE smart.

#11 ·
Close dealer for most people does equal peace of mind. But I just don't understand why. As an owner of many different brands over the years I have had little confidence in most dealerships to do the job right and at a descent price. You would be surprised at how much more competant and less expensive an independent mechanic can be. If your car is still under warranty then obvs bring it to a dealer because it's a free fix, other than that I usually try to stay away from the stealer. As for the guy who's smart won't start, it's probably a bad fuse, or relay, or wire, or ignition switch. It doesn't sound serious. If it were serious the car would give feedback, check engine light, error codes, something. This car is giving him no feedback. The interior lights aren't coming on, the dash isn't coming on. Either way, any mechanic could figure that one out. But like I said, if it's under warranty bring it to the dealer. If your paying under $5000 for the car it's most likely more than 4 years old and out of warranty. If you don't like the idea, then don't buy it. But I would stay clear of the Leaf, their batteries seem to degrade quickly. Another model that's great and not mentioned is the Chevy Spark EV. I also looked at those before buying my smart.

#12 ·
My lease on a MY15 ED ends tomorrow. :crying:

Because of the LOW MAINTENANCE requirements of an EV were it not for BAP and the Annual Service this car could have easily gone 3 years without seeing the smart Center! That being said, my advice would be to find a low mileage newer model with remaining warranty (regardless of your distance from a service Center) to give you some peace of mind.

Or, if you truly want to bottom shop - as Tony suggests, "If you are paying under $5,000 for the car it's most likely more than 4 years old and out of warranty." Find the lowest priced ED out there with the color/option that appeal to you and drive the wheels off.

#13 ·
I found my 2014 smart ED used at a Mercedes-Benz dealership for just under $5000. Still has 10 months warranty left and no BAP. I figure worst case I rent a trailer and tow it the 80 miles to my dealer if something major goes wrong. Would have been nice if dealer was within the driving range, but for the price it could almost become a disposable vehicle 5 years down the road if I have major issues. My work commute is 42 miles a day and I find myself comfortable in the range and haven’t driven my gas smart or our Prius since I bought my ED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.