smart EV Dealers - Page 2 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Close dealer for most people does equal peace of mind. But I just don't understand why. As an owner of many different brands over the years I have had little confidence in most dealerships to do the job right and at a descent price. You would be surprised at how much more competant and less expensive an independent mechanic can be. If your car is still under warranty then obvs bring it to a dealer because it's a free fix, other than that I usually try to stay away from the stealer. As for the guy who's smart won't start, it's probably a bad fuse, or relay, or wire, or ignition switch. It doesn't sound serious. If it were serious the car would give feedback, check engine light, error codes, something. This car is giving him no feedback. The interior lights aren't coming on, the dash isn't coming on. Either way, any mechanic could figure that one out. But like I said, if it's under warranty bring it to the dealer. If your paying under $5000 for the car it's most likely more than 4 years old and out of warranty. If you don't like the idea, then don't buy it. But I would stay clear of the Leaf, their batteries seem to degrade quickly. Another model that's great and not mentioned is the Chevy Spark EV. I also looked at those before buying my smart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 06:57 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,412 Times in 1,428 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
My lease on a MY15 ED ends tomorrow.

Because of the LOW MAINTENANCE requirements of an EV were it not for BAP and the Annual Service this car could have easily gone 3 years without seeing the smart Center! That being said, my advice would be to find a low mileage newer model with remaining warranty (regardless of your distance from a service Center) to give you some peace of mind.

Or, if you truly want to bottom shop - as Tony suggests, "If you are paying under $5,000 for the car it's most likely more than 4 years old and out of warranty." Find the lowest priced ED out there with the color/option that appeal to you and drive the wheels off.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Garage
I found my 2014 smart ED used at a Mercedes-Benz dealership for just under $5000. Still has 10 months warranty left and no BAP. I figure worst case I rent a trailer and tow it the 80 miles to my dealer if something major goes wrong. Would have been nice if dealer was within the driving range, but for the price it could almost become a disposable vehicle 5 years down the road if I have major issues. My work commute is 42 miles a day and I find myself comfortable in the range and haven’t driven my gas smart or our Prius since I bought my ED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
I like your attitude !!!

Five years from now, you can park it on the curb with a sign saying,
"Free to a good home !"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode