smart USA Announces U.S. Dealer Network - Page 2 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is it just me, but is seems that SMART USA is falling down on the job? Or did Penski do so much damage to the name that new dealers aren't interested in the brand? I too could have sold quiet a few SMARTS but with the nearest dealer being one hundred fifty miles or more away, it's just too far for people to be comfortable with. I really don't understand why a major dealer isn't in the Fresno area, it's a large city.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,343 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Garage
From what I have seen and heard, smartMBUSA doesn't really care. They had a good dealer in Minnesota, not MB related but they pulled their equipment and left us high and dry without a service center. How would that make you feel if you had just bought a brand new car and to get a warranty item fixed, you would them be required to drive 200+ miles each way??
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:54 AM

Truly that would suck my friend! I get the SMART is the bastard child of MB. I know Fiat is havihng troubles too, but it seem we are very unimportant to MB, I would have been better off buying a Fiat Abarth. That way I would have had a local dealer.

Last edited by JamesWeatherford; 01-06-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,343 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Garage
When I first got my 2008 smart, I was blown away by the exceptional service and response from the dealer with the problems I had with my car. They were the prime example of what a dealer should be like. Since MB took over, that has changed. what more can I say, Would I buy another? doubtful unless there was better local support. But that is my personal choice and not based on anything I have been told to do on the internet or any forum. I am one of those rare individuals that thinks for themselves after looking at all the facts.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimvw57 For This Useful Post:
kennyrayandersen (01-07-2012)
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
South Carolina....

Smart Center Charleston
1151 Savannah Hwy
Charleston, SC 29407
843-852-4000

Mercedes - Infinity - Smart - Acura - a few leftover Maybachs and locally-manufactured Sprinter vans...

Pricey, luxurious facility but very expensive. Bring money.
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Closed
SCOA Club

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are currently 87 dealers in the USA, there will be an additional 5 or 6 coming soon within the next few months. The network will grow, hopefully smart USA will receive dealer applications from businessmen willing to take on a smart dealership in those areas that don't have many to choose from.

I know there are 4 serving the LA area.
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 12:52 PM

Kamaal, thanks for the info.

Do you know if the powers to be are talking to anyone in the Central Valley? Like I said before, it's hard to believe there. Is no dealers in the Fresno area, that is a pretty big city!

It is so easy to bring attention to the market, I get asked quite often... "where can I get one?". I tell them the nearest dealer is in Santa Barbara, the interest just goes away.

Last edited by JamesWeatherford; 01-06-2012 at 01:00 PM.
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Closed
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWeatherford View Post
Kamaal, thanks for the info.

Do you know if the powers to be are talking to anyone in the Central Valley? Like I said before, it's hard to believe there. Is no dealers in the Fresno area, that is a pretty big city!

It is so easy to bring attention to the market, I get asked quite often... "where can I get one?". I tell them the nearest dealer is in Santa Barbara, the interest just goes away.
Time will tell. I really don't know the specifics of how smart recruits dealerships. I do know dealership ownership is a two way street though, somebody has to also be willing to take on a location and invest in smart's future.

I've attempted to market in the Central Valley, Kern County, little brother to Fresno, and I've been slammed by all the local alliances in that area. If there was somebody like you in Bakersfield raising a voice to local credit unions and dealerships and banks, perhaps I would be able to sell some cars there and suddenly the idea for a dealership would come up. Same applies to the Fresno area. If it's what you want, keep your voice heard.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brand Manager Kamaal For This Useful Post:
saronian (01-06-2012)
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 05:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand Manager Kamaal View Post
There are currently 87 dealers in the USA, there will be an additional 5 or 6 coming soon within the next few months. The network will grow, hopefully smart USA will receive dealer applications from businessmen willing to take on a smart dealership in those areas that don't have many to choose from.

I know there are 4 serving the LA area.
LOL.....were you one of the suits at the Dells rally last June? That's the same hogwash the MB reps were spouting. "........MN will have a new dealer in weeks, not months, please be patient". Yep......7 months later still no dealer & no word of one ever coming. 200-300 mile drive (or tow) for warranty or service. Smart is not a viable brand at this point & should be avoided at all costs. Just because you have a dealer now doesn't mean you'll have one in the future. We've had several dealers here in MN & every one bailed.
Fortunately my 2011 pure has performed flawlessly for over 9K miles, but every time I start it I worry something might go wrong & I'm left high & dry. When I make my recommendations to those that ask I steer them toward one of the Asian brands, or the newer American made ones, or any brand that's somewhat stable.....which Smart isn't at this juncture.
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 12:16 PM

Like I said... The Fiat Abarth is looking pretty good to me right now. The overall attitude from SMART USA/MB is to say the least is disappointing. They have a nice, much needed product and they are crapping all over the dealers and cars, and the owners who purchased their product.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode