1Likes
  • 1 Post By ElementalDragon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Fire! My SMART, 2016, caught fire!

Iím broken hearted and still waiting to find out what the ultimate destiny will be for my 2016 that caught on fire due to wire harness fire. Anyone have any experience with such an incident?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:56 PM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,788 Times in 3,506 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Look under the Safety forums. There's a sub-forum for fires.

Last edited by jwight; 04-13-2019 at 06:23 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:23 PM

Thanked 1,220 Times in 866 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Isnít it still under warranty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smark View Post
Isnít it still under warranty?
I'm going to say that there's probably no chance that a dealership would even attempt to touch it. Seeing as angiepc said that the car caught fire due to a wire harness issue, I wouldn't be surprised if the insurance company deems it totaled and completely writes it off. Same thing happened to one truck my dad owned. Brother came to pick it up, since it had a plow and wanted to use it to clear the snow. He started the truck to let it warm up a little (was a 2009 Dodge Ram with a diesel engine and dual rear wheels), and then got some other stuff together. Went back to the truck, and the inside was filled with smoke, passenger side of the dashboard was melted and kind of caving in.

Think generally if a car catches fire, especially if it's due to wiring failure, they tend to total the car, because the odds of the cost to figure out what went wrong, completely tear the car apart and replace whatever would need replacing, and put everything back together would FAR surpass what the vehicle is worth. Not to mention, especially with a wiring fault, who knows what else might have been potentially fried if some wires got crossed that shouldn't have been crossed. Could kill basically anything electronic, including the ECU.
1983JZR3W likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,952 Times in 1,335 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Garage
Been there!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:43 AM

Thanked 1,220 Times in 866 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalDragon View Post
I'm going to say that there's probably no chance that a dealership would even attempt to touch it. Seeing as angiepc said that the car caught fire due to a wire harness issue, I wouldn't be surprised if the insurance company deems it totaled and completely writes it off. Same thing happened to one truck my dad owned. Brother came to pick it up, since it had a plow and wanted to use it to clear the snow. He started the truck to let it warm up a little (was a 2009 Dodge Ram with a diesel engine and dual rear wheels), and then got some other stuff together. Went back to the truck, and the inside was filled with smoke, passenger side of the dashboard was melted and kind of caving in.

Think generally if a car catches fire, especially if it's due to wiring failure, they tend to total the car, because the odds of the cost to figure out what went wrong, completely tear the car apart and replace whatever would need replacing, and put everything back together would FAR surpass what the vehicle is worth. Not to mention, especially with a wiring fault, who knows what else might have been potentially fried if some wires got crossed that shouldn't have been crossed. Could kill basically anything electronic, including the ECU.
A faulty wire harness, is cover under the factory warranty. Did you even contact, the smart dealership? You car, is a 2016 model. With one year left on the factory warranty. MB needs to know about the defect.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smark View Post
A faulty wire harness, is cover under the factory warranty. Did you even contact, the smart dealership? You car, is a 2016 model. With one year left on the factory warranty. MB needs to know about the defect.
I'm not saying it wouldn't be covered. I'm saying if that harness caused an actual fire in the car, warranty coverage is a bit useless.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Another 451 fire | - »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode