I hate continental tires - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate continental tires

I bought my bimmer used and the continentals on it developed flat spots. Now my most epic car purchase fail ever (smart) has a bad tire (defective loud rotational noise) at 36k and still have 6/32" tread left. I am going to replace all four with Bridgestone ecopia's 185/60-15. Already test fitted em and they work great.

Last edited by sw0ggd0gg; 05-06-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 08:14 AM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,630 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
I'd be glad to get another set of Contis if it meant I can get rid of my Blizzaks.

Blizzaks are very well praised on this board but I fail to see why. They're bloody epic in the snow...but utterly useless EVERYWHERE else!

Snow covers the roads maybe no more than a total of a week in the winter season, so the Blizzaks only get used to their full potential maybe once or twice in the season...For that, you might as well run all seasons...

I'm going to wear them out, change them for some Kumho all seasons, and never look back.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Interesting. A close friend has had the same type Continentals on his VW Passat for 11 years and hasn't had any problems. I can't comment on mine since I have only had the car for 2 months but dry and wet road handling is ok compared with some tires I have had. It's been about 50 years since I had Continentals on my air cooled VWs. No experience with them between then and now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Most tires get a louder rotational noise as they get older....
Tires only get "flat spots" when they are allowed to sit still with the full weight of the car on them for months....
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
I hated the contis that came on my 08. Worn out at 22K miles. The Kumho's have 24K on them and are still fine.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blackbelt For This Useful Post:
carsmart5555 (06-24-2013), Pee-wee Germa (05-06-2013), SLIVERS (05-06-2013)
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,788 Times in 3,506 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonspinnazz View Post
I'd be glad to get another set of Contis if it meant I can get rid of my Blizzaks.

Blizzaks are very well praised on this board but I fail to see why. They're bloody epic in the snow...but utterly useless EVERYWHERE else!

Snow covers the roads maybe no more than a total of a week in the winter season, so the Blizzaks only get used to their full potential maybe once or twice in the season...For that, you might as well run all seasons...

I'm going to wear them out, change them for some Kumho all seasons, and never look back.
Winter tires are for use at around 45 degrees or below - they aren't all season tires. Even if there's no snow the winter rubber compound will handle the freezing temps better than the stock all season tires. Once the weather warms up [for the season], change out the Blizzaks!

Last edited by jwight; 05-06-2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: keeping the nitpickers happy
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,952 Times in 1,335 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Garage
what if the weather warms up and then it SNOWS!!! Still got the Blizzaks on and hopefully it will stop snowing.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw0ggd0gg View Post
I bought my bimmer used and the continentals on it developed flat spots. Now my most epic car purchase fail ever (smart) has a bad tire (defective loud rotational noise) at 36k. I am going to replace all four with Bridgestone ecopia's 185/60-15. Already test fitted em and they work great.
Care to elaborate on it being a car purchase 'fail'?

We don't know anything about your driving style and habits, if you bought your car new, or if you bought it used and how the previous owner drove it. For all I know, 36K miles might not be terrible, or might even be great for how it could have been driven. Same goes for your bimmer- how do we know you didn't pull a few e-brake turns or emergency stops that could have caused those flat spots? I'm at about 35K, bought it used with 13K, and will be needing new rears in the next few thousand miles, and to be honest, I'm perfectly okay with that. I do a bunch of highway driving, have done several small road trips, and drive at least 40 miles daily for my regular commute. I sometimes take turns harder than I probably should, and occasionally get stuck in city stop-and-go traffic.

The continentals are OEM, and I'll probably be buying another set. The price isn't awful for a name brand rare-sized tire depending on where you get them from either.

I'm not saying you're wrong either- just consider the human factor before straight-up blaming the product. I've heard few complaints other than this on the OEM tires.

Last edited by ColonelPan1c; 05-06-2013 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Grammar.
The Following User Says Thank You to ColonelPan1c For This Useful Post:
MB DNA (05-06-2013)
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 11:46 AM

Thanked 1,220 Times in 866 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Mine lasted 40k rears 50K fronts. Noisy cause you can't rotate them like a normal car. Just replace them with new Conti's.

Have them on my 500 too. 19K miles, can be rotated very quiet. Rides nice.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,630 Posts
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwight View Post
Winter tires are for use at around 45 degrees or below - they aren't all season tires. Even if there's no snow the winter rubber compound will handle the freezing temps better than the stock all season tires. Once the weather warms up [for the season], change out the Blizzaks!
I know they're winter only tires. And I'm only talking about winter performance.

When there's snow on the pavement, they're unbeatable. But as soon as the snow gets plowed away the tires become a loud, deforming mess.

I do drive a bit more "aggressive" than most people, which can explain why I notice the differences between the tires. I happen to drive a bit...fast?

Example - This is when I learned that the Blizzaks are awful on dry ground:

There's this right turn I take nearly every day. When it was 20*F and dry (snow melted) I could take that turn at 40mph no problem with the Contis. However, in the same conditions, the Blizzaks could do no faster than 30mph before turning into an understeering mess.

The responsiveness of the Blizzaks is best described as "delayed". If I were to jerk the wheel with the Contis (say, dodging an animal) I get an immediate and direct response. But with the Blizzaks, it seems to take a second for them to respond to the input and then you're greeted with heavy roll as the tires deform under the shifting weight.

At highway speeds in excess of 70mph, the Contis still feel planted, yet the Blizzaks feel unstable (despite a speed rating of over 100mph).

All of my observations were taken during the height of this winter, when the temps barely broke twenty and ice was everywhere. If you never drive like I do though, you won't even notice.

But like I said, they're freaking epic, but only when there's snow covering the road...Winter too...

TL;DR - I'm comparing a winter tire to an all season tire, so it's a waste of time kinda. Point is, there is a worse tire out there than Continentals.

Last edited by Miss Mercedes; 05-06-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode