1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
TPMS issues....

Long story short... The shop switched snows to summer tires, busted one of the sensors. Got a new one and all back together now. Taking it back to them tomorrow as the indicator is flashing for 60 then on solid indicating there's a fault in the system.
Soooooo.... they're talking about needing to put it on the computer and check it there and calibrate it and blah blah blah.
Is that a true story?? It's a sensor and as I understand it it's pretty straight-forward. It won't reset using the reset button inside the rig so that tells me they put a wrong sensor or just didn't do something right replacing the one they broke.
Looking to know what the process might be when replacing a TPMS. The other day they told me that he was test driving it and re-calibrating and you needed to drive it around to do so. Sounds iffy to me. Looking for some guidance before they really mess up my smart!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,964 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Garage
They do need to be driven a bit for them to be recognized as thy only turn on when they are in motion. It is possible they put the wrong one in , or it may be defective.

If they were on all the time. you might start reading the pressure on the smart you are parked next to.

When I change from summer to winter tires, (or back) I don't see any reteaching going on It just plain works (have 4 summer tires/rims and 4 winter tires/rims)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
yeah, I've done this switch 3 or 4 times over the years we've owned the smart and it's always been pretty easy peazy. Until you break the TPMS sensor. Generally you don't need to do much of anything with the sensors once they're set... occasionally it's good to check pressure and do the reset to make sure it knows what's up.

My concern is that the shop has no clue what they're doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 01:28 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,214 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
The process for replacment of the tire pressure sensor is simple. Install the correct sensor. Drive the car. The tire pressure control unit will learn the sensor positions on the fly. The sensors do not require programming the control unit or a learning process as do most vehicles. If the shop has a scan tool that can read fault codes and data in the tire pressure sensor system it will be easy to tell wherein the fault lies, otherwise they are just guessing.
chieftmc likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That's what I thought... it's a pretty easy thing to do. So, like I said... I have my concerns about whether these folks are going to be helping or hindering. But they're the ones that broke it soooooooo....
Let me ask this... What does the sensor look like? What they showed me was a rectangular hunk that I assume is on the inside of the wheel. Sounds right?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Periclaws
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I swap my tires (winter/summer) on one set of rims. I think it was when I did the first swap, they told me two sensors were cracked and had to be replaced. They did the replacement and I never experienced any problem. I don't know if they drove it around before they gave the car back to me. Just had a slow leak on one tire after the switch that turned out to be the stem. They told me it was a good thing because the TPMS is $$$ vs. the stem which is $.
My service was at Mercedes Benz. Could it be that the TPMS are manufacturer specific?
Now all I need to do is fix the P key on my keyboard - it seems to have taken your sensors as an example and drifts in and out of service - mostly out. Like you, lots of resetting.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 05:54 AM

Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,519 Posts
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhoth View Post
That's what I thought... it's a pretty easy thing to do. So, like I said... I have my concerns about whether these folks are going to be helping or hindering. But they're the ones that broke it soooooooo....
Let me ask this... What does the sensor look like? What they showed me was a rectangular hunk that I assume is on the inside of the wheel. Sounds right?
Here's what went in mine

TPMS fits Smart Fortwo Tire Pressure Sensor
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
All,

I have had 5-6 of these replaced on my 2 smarts in the last 6 years.
Purchase them from rockauto.com for about $35.00 and the garage just puts them in and they work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode