Smart Car of America Forum banner

Cherry Hill, NJ update.

28K views 200 replies 22 participants last post by  JPaul 
#1 ·
Showroom coming right along...all painted and tiled. There are several Smarty Pixtures on the walls I never saw before. Lots of Smart desks like in the other west coast showrooms and a display case for Smart paraphernalia. Nothing new but good to see here at home. :D

#3 · (Edited)
OK, I just talked to Tad Isch. They are expecting some cars on Tuesday. They have 230 reservations for our area. The showroom is pretty much finished.
Weird for me since nobody has really contacted THEM but me. Still rules is rules and they must contact rezos in sequence as all dealers must. Let's see what happens next week, eh? :D

#10 ·
Hey Gang,
I really think we should start planning our first NJ smart Meet & Greet. How about the first or second Saturday in March? We could meet at one of the three Dealerships and I already received positive feedback from Englewood & Edison on doing a Meet & Greet. What say you all? Thanks, Regina

#12 ·
SmartBob - I was the "old" guy in the green jacket. I got there just after 11:00am, so it's quite possible. That stretch on I-295 by Lawnside that the trucks have all rutted was a bit scary - had to keep a firm grip on the wheel. No problems on Rt. 42 (!) or around town here in Washington Twp.

#14 ·
Congrats Connelly! woo! How has the car been?

I'm just making contact with the dealership again. I tried before but I got too busy with the holidays and end of year stuff.

Does anyone know or can share how much "extra" costs they are adding onto the Smarts they are selling? Of course that is one of my questions to them but thought I would try this trusted group too.

As for a meet up, I definitely won't have my car by then and I'm from Philly :cool: This dealership also services the Phila area. Does that exclude me from the gatherings? :p

#15 ·
Connelly, a friend of mine lives across the street from you. He told me when he came into work on Monday. Ain't that a hoot? I had to laugh....what are the chances? I've been bending his ear for 6 months about the Smarts, too. :D

P.S. Ali: the more the merrier.

#16 · (Edited)
Update

I guess I've had mine the longest in this group (sorry, couldn't resist), so here's my update: I've driven 255 miles since picking it up Saturday morning (it already had 5 miles on from the dealer - total 260.1 miles on the odo) and filled up the first time tonight on the way home. It took 7.64 gallons, which works out to roughly 33.4 mpg. I filled up with 93 octane at the Super Wawa on Rt. 42. It took a lot longer to get out of there than it does when I fill my Expedition - so many questions, so little time! But even with the premium, still a lot cheaper. My driving was a combination of roughly half on the AC Xway, keeping it between 65 and 70 mph, and the rest tooling around town, running errands, giving friends and co-workers test drives, etc. The ride is stiff and due to the short wheelbase, you'll feel most bumps. If you get in the slipstream of a 18-wheeler at 70mph, you feel it. But the smart holds it own as long as you pay attention. No worst than my little German Ford Fiesta back in the early 80's. I prefer using the paddle shifters, because the auto mode takes too long to shift into the next gear. In either mode, if you let up on the gas a bit - just like real manual shifting if you had a clutch - it shifts nicely and responds well. Quite peppy, although I've been trying (real hard) to behave myself for the first 1000 miles like the book says. I liked the auto-sensing wipers - the first I've had that option on any car - and the car did well in the rain tonight.

SmartBob - which neighbor - Ben, Matt, Joe, Andy?

#17 ·
Extra Cost

Ali - On top of the $15,000 MSRP my car priced out on the web site, plus $645 shipping that seems to be standard for all smarts, the extra costs on my invoice from Cherry Hill was NJ sales tax ($1095.15), 4 years registration ($234.00), NJ Tires fee ($7.50) and Documentary fees ($95 - not too bad considering it's a Mercedes dealer). They didn't know how to handle the $99 deposit on Saturday. They called me Monday and said they would send me a check.

#19 · (Edited)
pickup at Englewood dealer

Finally , I have my own smart passion cabriolet!!!!!
Yellow/grey/beige

After five years of trying to import the car to the US my dream car is in my garage
I am the proud owner of a yellow smart

The dealer

Englewood smart center
The people at the dealer where great! Particularly Victor Hernandez (Financial officer) and Michael Hill the Brand manger. They did an excellent job trying to accommodate my requests. We had some exchange of words regarding the doc. Fees but in the end amazing guys and a pleasure doing business with them.

My old car.

Is for sale …
I have to pay for the smart:)

My new car
My son and my wife with the new toy

Michael Hill Brand manager of Englewood smart center
Great guy!

The Car
Looks, feels and drives amazing I love it …Really I do love it!!!!!!

Pros
Is a great toy.

Cons
Needs a seat arm rest and knee support plus wheel adjustment device

Regrets
Not having more optionals added to the car.

Final Cost
Out the door price for smart passion cabriolet

Base $16,590.00
Tridion safety cell 175.00
Heated seats 220.00
Electric power steering EPS 450.00
Dest. Charge 645.00
Extended service plan 48 months 48k 695.00
Dealer Fee 295.00
Tags,reg,tax 234.00
NJ tire tax 6.00
Sales tax 1351.28 (7%)
Grand Total $20.661.28

Payment: I paid for the car 70% cash and 30% credit card ( I need to make some United miles) 

Warranty
I did buy an extended warranty buy when I read the 100 dollar deductible that you have to pay each time you visit the dealer make me think that is no such a good deal…..

Finance
If you are looking to finance the car here are some deals

Proponent credit Union
5.5 APR for 48 months
https://www.proponentfcu.org

Mercedes Benz Credit Corporation
5.8 APR for 48 months
http://www.mercedesbenzfinancial.com

Mercedes Benz VISA credit card
0% APR for the first year and points good for rewards
http://www.mercedesbenzfinancial.com

United Visa card
Lots of United miles ;)
www.chase.com/united

Insurance
My insurance company is Liberty Mutual
$591 for one year with $500 ded.
www.libertymutual.com/smart

My lawyer

I was so mad about the dealer’s doc. fees/prep charges that I called my lawyer and we are looking to see if we can “fix” the annoying problem. I will keep you posted.

Dana D’Angelo
Counsellor at Law
973-838-4200
dmd@dangelo-law.com

My car wash

Carwash route 23 Kinnelon
I am trying to have the premium wash price ($15) to we reduce. Given that my smart cabriolet is half of any car and a third of any SUV I “demand” a third of the regular price :D
If I get the rebate I will let you know.

The PAG
I have called many times to PAG about the dealer doc fees but I have no answer till now. I will give them one more week to fix this or else.

More pictures will be post soon!
Regards
Gus

#20 ·
Hi Gus, thanks for all the information. By the way, I just received a Liberty Mutual quote and got $1,397/yr which is outrageous compared to your $591/yr quote. How did you get it that low? I chose full coverage of 100/300/100 with $500 deductibles and with no rental or roadside assistance. Thanks, Regina

#24 ·
Regina: You must be a young-un! :) I've been with Allstate all my life. I lived in Jersey for 19 years. No accidents for 15 years. No points or any kind of violation. I don't know your record but these are the things that decide your rate. I too have $500 ded. with complete coverage.

#22 ·
Connelly, you'll always be #1 & eventually I'll be some number after that :p I'm just glad you all are test driving them for us :D

Thanks for the cost info. that $99 Doc fee sounds really good. I'll have to pay Phila/Pa taxes versus NJ so I'll check into what that will be.

I do a lot of PA Turnpike driving which would be similar to ACxpressway driving. Sounds just fine to me.

As for paddle shifting versus auto-mode, perhaps SCOA could start a thread for remedial help for all those like myself who have forever been in a automatic world. I would like to eventualy try out the paddles but don't want to mess the car up either :rolleyes:

I drive a Ford Sport Trac so anything with more MPG then that is going to be a big improvement. Right now I don't plan to get rid of my truck but will use the Smart for the day 2 day commute. I need the truck for bad weather and hauling things around for the 2-3 days a year I do that :p

Please keep us posted. We are excited about any info especially when it's one of us. Thanks

#25 ·
I don't know what to think. I've been driving since I was 19YO, have no accidents, no bad credit (have 719 score), own my own home (#3), lease my current car and have no debt to speak of. I'm not sure why that number came up so crazy. I live in a great little city at the beginning of the Jersey shore called Parlin. Maybe I'll call them to get a better quote. Thanks, Regina

#27 ·
Congrats Bob. It feels great to get to this point I know :)

Did the Smart communications say in May or early part of the year? Mine which I configured on Dec 21 said "We are pleased to inform you that we may be able to deliver your smart fortwo during the second half of 2008". I've been using the wait to save the money to pay for it :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.