Thanked 5,818 Times in 3,529 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Chrysler touts gasoline deal to win buyers

Price of fuel locked in at $2.99 a gallon for 3 years — rivals won’t match it

Full story here

How bizarre; instead of doing something to reduce their corporate CAFE average, they are going to subsidize the purchase of big trucks and cars for three years. Does nothing to conserve gas and will probably put more of these gas guzzlers on the highway. When the new owners wake up three years from now to $6 or $7 a gallon gas, won't they be surprised? Talk about kicking the can down the road!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's an understandable strategy from Chrysler. At least it buys them some time to work on their product line and bring it more in line with rapidly changing consumer demand. Plus, unless the price of gas continues to skyrocket, it is a pretty cheap incentive. At $4 per gallon and 21 MPG it only costs them about $1800 on a PT Cruiser.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Banned

If anything like their Drive Train warranty, it is good only for the original buyer and they know most of us trade or sell our vehicles within three years of purchase. I haven't seen the entire presentation so I'll guess there is a milage or gallon limit per year. Another buy me gimik but they will get some takers who want to drive the Hemi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 02:26 PM
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
It's an understandable strategy from Chrysler. At least it buys them some time to work on their product line and bring it more in line with rapidly changing consumer demand. Plus, unless the price of gas continues to skyrocket, it is a pretty cheap incentive. At $4 per gallon and 21 MPG it only costs them about $1800 on a PT Cruiser.
A lot less than that. They'll make a deal with one of the oil companies for an exclusive deal, and I guarantee that it will cost more than half that estimate.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Banned
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by factor9 View Post
A lot less than that. They'll make a deal with one of the oil companies for an exclusive deal, and I guarantee that it will cost more than half that estimate.
doubtful there is any 'deal' with an oil company. this is effective TOMORROW, May 7th, so unless they announce something tonight saying you have to use one particular brand of fuel (which i see no way of working for the entire US), you use what and who you want.

of course it's based on only 12K/yr and the average MPG of the vehicle you purchase. yes, HEMI owners will benefit more from this than others, but then they are spending more too.

i'll just keep my Jeep Compass.....thank you very much, while waiting for MY 'ship to come in' with my smart!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 03:26 PM

If you can afford it... buy it! That's my motto.

I bought the smart car because it is goofy looking. It was not a wise purchase (investment) for me. It would have been more prudent to buy a used small car with decent mpg and lower insurance cost. Plus I only live 3 miles from work (Chrysler HQ). If I was concerned about the cost of fuel I would be walking or cycling to work.

I am against CAFE. They should just tax gas more, a lot more, and all gas. Let the market sort it out.

Toyota talks about their high mpg's then why do they make the Toyota Tundra Pick Up Truck? Doesn't that lower their CAFE?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwight View Post
Price of fuel locked in at $2.99 a gallon for 3 years — rivals won’t match it

Full story here

How bizarre; instead of doing something to reduce their corporate CAFE average, they are going to subsidize the purchase of big trucks and cars for three years. Does nothing to conserve gas and will probably put more of these gas guzzlers on the highway. When the new owners wake up three years from now to $6 or $7 a gallon gas, won't they be surprised? Talk about kicking the can down the road!
Didn't Daimler and Chrysler spilt? I read an article somewhere. Sounds like Chrysler is already screwing up... Glad the smart is under the Daimler name. I never have liked Chrysler or Dodge, just a gut feeling...
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,818 Times in 3,529 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradgarbus View Post
Didn't Daimler and Chrysler spilt? I read an article somewhere. Sounds like Chrysler is already screwing up... Glad the smart is under the Daimler name. I never have liked Chrysler or Dodge, just a gut feeling...
Yes, they did. Chrysler now owned by an investment group. Not sure what their qualifications are after this stunt.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Parr View Post
If you can afford it... buy it! That's my motto.

I bought the smart car because it is goofy looking. It was not a wise purchase (investment) for me. It would have been more prudent to buy a used small car with decent mpg and lower insurance cost. Plus I only live 3 miles from work (Chrysler HQ). If I was concerned about the cost of fuel I would be walking or cycling to work.

I am against CAFE. They should just tax gas more, a lot more, and all gas. Let the market sort it out.

Toyota talks about their high mpg's then why do they make the Toyota Tundra Pick Up Truck? Doesn't that lower their CAFE?
Sorry Bob, I just noted who you work for, opps, after the fact. I'm sorry. There is just something about the product I don't like, maybe they seemingly higher than average MPG in most of the Chrysler cars... Not sure. Then there is the problems I had with my Neon years ago... I got taken for a ride on that one... Has left a sour taste in my mouth... Not to mention it is normally Chrysler products that are trying to run me over on the interstate, 9 of of 10... I used to really like the LHS styling, but went with a Caddy instead...
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 06:00 PM

Don't worry about it. A direction we almost took under the "equal partnership" of Diamler was "no cars... only SUV's & mini vans". They thought it was more profitable but some people put up a fight. Just think where Chrysler would be if that went there.

And since Daimler was our partner, I don't think Chrysler was going to come out with a small car when Daimler was bringing over the smart. We would be competing against ourself. Just watch for the Hornet :-) my next car.

CAFE is misleading, thats my problem with it. Corpoarate Average Fuel Economy it should be EACH vehicle. Not sell 5 Camrys to every Tundra to meet CAFE.

Last edited by Bob_Parr; 05-06-2008 at 06:08 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode