Motorcycles are nearly as addictive as smarts! - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos
 
Miss Mercedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: IL-WI Border
Posts: 17,289
Thanks: 5,608
Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,648 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Garage
Motorcycles are nearly as addictive as smarts!

Believe it or not I've actually retired all of my smarts from daily driver duty. I've spent my summer riding various bikes and generally having a blast. I really only drive a car to tow a trailer or carry a passenger. I'm also prepping to have a bike as my "winter beater", too. It's been a crazy addiction so far and I peaked four bikes and scooters as of a couple weeks ago (though now I'm back down to three). A hankering for Chinese bikes helps to keep this hobby cheap. Whereas a single small part on my Buell Blast may cost $200, I can get an entire engine and transmission for a Chinese bike for the same price.

Before I dive into this, I helped fund this newest hobby by auctioning off the dozen or so custom computers I've built over the past couple years. Building computers is fun, but there's no point to it if I'm never going to use them. And selling them is a nightmare if you're just a single small person and not a shop.

The current lineup:

2000 Buell Blast "Neutron". He's my speed demon sport bike. The little thumper makes it a rolling massager.



2005 Honda Rebel 250 "Velma". She's my "around town" bike and my grocery getter. I kinda want to trade up to a Honda VTX or a Kawasaki Vulcan.





2012 Jinlun 150cc Ruckus clone (no name for it yet). This thing is my new toy. Got it off a college student for peanuts and it just needs a few things to get going again.



I do have a gameplan for it:

1) Get it running (battery, carb, stabilized petrol).

2) Fix the rust.

3) Replace all of the indicator light housings (broken).

4) Get an engine cover.

5) New handlebars (Pro Tapers??)

6) New brake levers (they’re extremely worn).

7) New seat/seat cover (in a fun colour like pink).

8) Plasti-Dip the wheels to match the seat.

9) RGB lighting.

The amusing thing is that all of the above can be accomplished for less money than a date night.

The last one was a 2008 Bashan MC-16-150T "Imperator Slowiosa". She was brand new with only 3 miles (previous owner bought it and left it in his garage for ten years). I got it for the upcoming Gambler 500 but gave up on getting it running when I realized that the petrol tank rotted out. In hindsight, I could have just replaced the tank...I mean since it's a Chinese scooter a tank is only $20 shipped.



I ended up selling it for enough to break even on the project so I'm not feeling too bad.



As is now a common question since I've started riding: What do I do about insurance? I've moved to a local area "per mile" insurance company. And since I live 0.5 miles from work nowadays, I basically pay nothing to keep the working vehicles in the fleet legal.

My girlfriend and I have realized that one day I'm going to need to open a smart and oddball bike museum.
Miss Mercedes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 12:40 PM
 
Niteshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Back in Canada Eh
Posts: 386
Thanks: 45
Thanked 36 Times in 33 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage
The Ruckus looks like a Sportster. So you qualified for fleet insurance yet?
Niteshooter is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos
 
Miss Mercedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: IL-WI Border
Posts: 17,289
Thanks: 5,608
Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,648 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Garage
The Ruckus one is the white one. The Sportster look-a-like is the Rebel.

I haven't looked into fleet insurance yet. Admittedly my end goal is to keep my insurance costs to no more expensive than what I was paying back when I got my 2012 smart. I hit that goal with the per-mile insurance, so I never bothered.
Miss Mercedes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 04:36 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Panhandle, WV
Posts: 1,363
Thanks: 47
Thanked 190 Times in 151 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Just picked up an ‘09 Suzuki Burgman AN 400 last weekend. Fifth scoot I’ve owned and the largest.
OliverB is online now  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 06:11 PM
 
Ironjoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Tacoma, wa
Posts: 75
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mercedes View Post
Believe it or not I've actually retired all of my smarts from daily driver duty. I've spent my summer riding various bikes and generally having a blast. I really only drive a car to tow a trailer or carry a passenger. I'm also prepping to have a bike as my "winter beater", too. It's been a crazy addiction so far and I peaked four bikes and scooters as of a couple weeks ago (though now I'm back down to three). A hankering for Chinese bikes helps to keep this hobby cheap. Whereas a single small part on my Buell Blast may cost $200, I can get an entire engine and transmission for a Chinese bike for the same price.

Before I dive into this, I helped fund this newest hobby by auctioning off the dozen or so custom computers I've built over the past couple years. Building computers is fun, but there's no point to it if I'm never going to use them. And selling them is a nightmare if you're just a single small person and not a shop.

The current lineup:

2000 Buell Blast "Neutron". He's my speed demon sport bike. The little thumper makes it a rolling massager.



2005 Honda Rebel 250 "Velma". She's my "around town" bike and my grocery getter. I kinda want to trade up to a Honda VTX or a Kawasaki Vulcan.





2012 Jinlun 150cc Ruckus clone (no name for it yet). This thing is my new toy. Got it off a college student for peanuts and it just needs a few things to get going again.



I do have a gameplan for it:

1) Get it running (battery, carb, stabilized petrol).

2) Fix the rust.

3) Replace all of the indicator light housings (broken).

4) Get an engine cover.

5) New handlebars (Pro Tapers??)

6) New brake levers (they’re extremely worn).

7) New seat/seat cover (in a fun colour like pink).

8) Plasti-Dip the wheels to match the seat.

9) RGB lighting.

The amusing thing is that all of the above can be accomplished for less money than a date night.

The last one was a 2008 Bashan MC-16-150T "Imperator Slowiosa". She was brand new with only 3 miles (previous owner bought it and left it in his garage for ten years). I got it for the upcoming Gambler 500 but gave up on getting it running when I realized that the petrol tank rotted out. In hindsight, I could have just replaced the tank...I mean since it's a Chinese scooter a tank is only $20 shipped.



I ended up selling it for enough to break even on the project so I'm not feeling too bad.



As is now a common question since I've started riding: What do I do about insurance? I've moved to a local area "per mile" insurance company. And since I live 0.5 miles from work nowadays, I basically pay nothing to keep the working vehicles in the fleet legal.

My girlfriend and I have realized that one day I'm going to need to open a smart and oddball bike museum.
I've seen people put extended swing arms on those ruckus bikes. Look like a lot of fun.
Ironjoey is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 06:15 AM
 
Niteshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Back in Canada Eh
Posts: 386
Thanks: 45
Thanked 36 Times in 33 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mercedes View Post
The Ruckus one is the white one. The Sportster look-a-like is the Rebel.

I haven't looked into fleet insurance yet. Admittedly my end goal is to keep my insurance costs to no more expensive than what I was paying back when I got my 2012 smart. I hit that goal with the per-mile insurance, so I never bothered.
Ah, ok thanks. The Ruckus name fits, really interesting looking. Kind of reminds me of the mini bikes we had as kids but this one's on steroids.

Btw you ever seen one of these? Happened to stumble on pix yesterday while looking at an article on smarts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smartcity.jpg (84.2 KB, 29 views)
Niteshooter is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 07:24 AM
 
Mike T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada
Posts: 4,500
Thanks: 196
Thanked 1,073 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Garage
Just be careful on the roads. Around here those are called "donorcycles". Stay safe!
Mike T is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos
 
Miss Mercedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: IL-WI Border
Posts: 17,289
Thanks: 5,608
Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,648 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteshooter View Post
Ah, ok thanks. The Ruckus name fits, really interesting looking. Kind of reminds me of the mini bikes we had as kids but this one's on steroids.

Btw you ever seen one of these? Happened to stumble on pix yesterday while looking at an article on smarts.
That's a smart crosstown. It was a hybrid concept that was slated for production, however Jeep got salty about it and told smart (a subsidiary of what was then DaimlerChrysler) to quit it because it stole Wrangler design cues and would likely steal sales. I mean, a low to the ground hybrid car without any offroading abilities certainly wouldn't, but okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
Just be careful on the roads. Around here those are called "donorcycles". Stay safe!
I haven't heard "donorcycle" in a while! I am an organ donor, though I'm not sure how many of my organs would be usable considering I'm pumping HRT through them.
Miss Mercedes is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos
 
Miss Mercedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: IL-WI Border
Posts: 17,289
Thanks: 5,608
Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,648 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Garage
Sold my Rebel and bought this!

It's an 82 Suzuki GS850G with 29k miles.



Miss Mercedes is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 10:07 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Panhandle, WV
Posts: 1,363
Thanks: 47
Thanked 190 Times in 151 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Nice! Love the vintage cycles.
OliverB is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
smart compared with motorcycles Critical Thinker smart General Discussion 39 03-03-2012 05:43 AM
Smart cars and motorcycles mauleskyrocket smart General Discussion 38 03-05-2011 10:48 AM
Just WHAT Do YOU Find so addictive about your smart? BB Benz smart General Discussion 43 10-09-2010 08:20 AM
Car Trailers For Motorcycles BigWarpGuy smart Towing 10 02-13-2010 06:55 PM
FLIR PathFindIR aftermarket thermal imaging system for cars and motorcycles BigWarpGuy Tech & Gadgets 0 01-12-2009 05:01 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Clubs, Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.